Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans!!! - Season 2011-12

Poster: A snowHead
Don't think that anyone has yet started the thread for this season.

Ski Dolomiti yesterday updated their opening details for this season. Apart from a few slopes/lifts opening in a few areas on Saturday, most are planning to open of the 2nd/3rd December

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/news-106EN.html?idblock=6757
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one jimmybog, I'd like to get there again this season if I can. It looks like the cannons are at full blast, but the meadows haven't seen any significant natural snow yet and time is now ticking!! It could be a slow satrt to the season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, as I'm not going to be there until March, as long as a slow start means a storming finish, that's fine with me. Nice to see you around again, luigi,

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be there one week after Chris Bish and his crew, so even longer to wait. Will be worth it though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1st week of February for me. Booyeah.

luigi, I asked in a separate post (now on the page 2 of this section of the forum) about overnighting at the Ladazuoi rifugio, but no one responded. Sad Can you offer any advice? Sorry to hijack - could answer on that thread. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And of course a significant number of snowHead s will be there for the birthday, I hope!
Even more, I hope, I will be among them Very Happy

Thanks jimmybog, for starting this season's thread, I was wondering when it might appear.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will be in Arabba first two weeks March
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will be in Canazei first week in Feb. Let it sn ow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be in Selva 24th December looking forward to a 'White Christmas, just like the ones I used to know' snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will be in San Martino in Badia with my Son for half term week - 12th February. Not quite on the Sella Ronda but we will be skiing it sometime.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will join SteveM & co. at the BB. Got that week booked off work, all signed off. Just need buttons. Be rude not to go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going back to Arabba on 25th Feb unless the Thomas Cook problems cause Neilson to implode rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
idlehands wrote:

luigi, I asked in a separate post (now on the page 2 of this section of the forum) about overnighting at the Ladazuoi rifugio, but no one responded. Sad Can you offer any advice? Sorry to hijack - could answer on that thread. snowHead

Sorry I don't know from personal experience about staying at the rifugio, other than the info on the website, where you can book online:

http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com/Ing/Prenota/index.php
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will be in La Villa first week of Feb.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

idlehands wrote:

luigi, I asked in a separate post (now on the page 2 of this section of the forum) about overnighting at the Ladazuoi rifugio, but no one responded. Can you offer any advice? Sorry to hijack - could answer on that thread.

Sorry I don't know from personal experience about staying at the rifugio, other than the info on the website, where you can book online:

http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com/Ing/Prenota/index.php

Thanks anyway. The mountaintop location of the Rifugio Lagazuoi is stunning. And I can imagine the morning run having the pistes below basically all to yourself - well ok, along with the few others that have overnighted there. Hard to believe no Snowheads have done this Puzzled
latest report
22nd Jan for us - Corvara, Posta Zirm
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
22nd Jan for us - Corvara, Posta Zirm

Very nice - on site for the Tea Dance snowHead
ski holidays
Fond memories of leaving the Posta Zirm only just able to walk upright after all the free cocktails. All this while passers-by came home from school, went shopping etc as it was only about 4.30 in the afternoon!

erica2004, A very convenient place to be. Out of the back door and on to the yellow bubble to get to San Cassiano et al. The other way is the two-way chair and all the Sella Ronda awaits. Nice.

snowHead
snow report
Off to Plan de Corones on New Years Day. Cannons there seem to have been doing overtime. Will have a day exploring the Sella Ronda
snow conditions
idlehands wrote:
overnighting at the Ladazuoi rifugio, .......
Hard to believe no Snowheads have done this Puzzled

Yes, I have done it. You can sleep more communally in small dorms or I think there smaller rooms which cost a little more. Very cheap compared to hotels. And great food as you will know if you have eaten there during the day, either a la carte or the set menu package.
See half way through this TR thread Horizon did of our holiday.
snow report
Not a Sella Ronda fan... yet! But hoping that will change after our first trip there in a few months time, staying in San Cassiano.

Is this a good place to ask about the area? I'm interested in doing some of the on-piste tours that have been mentioned on the forum - Sella Ronda, Hidden Valley etc, but was wondering how to find the routes? Are they marked on the piste map?

Cheers,
snow report
Scarlet, Oh, so much to say! I was in San Cassiano with a bunch of snowHeads last March (and will be again all being well, this March) and as an elderly, over-weight piste-cruiser, I hope I can be helpful to you. First up, have a look back over the previous years' versions of this thread (same name) as it contains lots of good info. Luigi, is the main guru for the area.
In brief, the Sella Ronda is a circuit taking in 4 of the 12 Dolomiti areas. Many of us take the term to mean the area as a whole, but there are trips off it and many think that to be the best aspect of the area. The Sella Ronda circuit is quite a big day from San Cassiano. I did it last March and it came out at 70km including lifts on my geo-tracker. Some of the older members of our group found it a bit much! (Well, Don and Hippo for those who were there). The snow was heavy though. It is a long way, and for this reason the piste maps are limited in usefulness. There is a Tabacco map that is handy for getting the big picture.

The Hidden Valley is a classic and can be easily combined with the Cinque Torri, which has been described as one of the top-ten most beautiful places on the planet (Well, by me anyway). You are perfectly placed for it at San Cassiano. Again, you are on the edge of the area, and getting onto the Cortina piste map.

Have a look at the older threads, and come back with questions, would be my suggestion.

snowHead
snow report
Scarlet, San Cassiano is a nice spot, with easy access by goindola to the Alta Badia area, bounded by Arabba, Corvara & La Villa, you aren't directly on the Sella Ronda, but it's not far to Corvara or Arabba to pick it up. You must do the complete circuit once, but it is probably best used as a means to get to other areas as the lifts and runs on the route are the busiest in the area, the quieter spots are off the main circuit.

The Hidden Valley is a great run, you need to get yourself on skis to Armentarola, the next hamlet along fron S Cassiano, the minibuses (€5 pp) that run up to the Passo Falzarego leave from here. Up at the pass you can cross the road and do the Cinque Torri/Averau/Col Gallina circuit before getting on the cablecar up to Lagazuoi. The run down is a spectacularly scenic red and there is a nice sunny lunch spot called Rifugio Scotoni. At the bottom of the run there is a horse tow along the flat valley, then you're almost back at Armentarola to get the draglift back to S Cassiano.

You can also do the Great War Tour which takes in Arabba, the Civetta ski area, the Hidden Valley with a couple of bus connections, but is doable in a day with an early start.

http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/id/giroGrGuerra.html
latest report
No more than a dusting of snow at the moment. Looks like Tignes is the place to go right now!

snowHead
ski holidays
luigi and Chris Bish, thanks for the info. Old threads are useful for an overview, but unless a very similar question has come up before, they may not contain the specifics required.

I reckon 70km is doable with a route in mind, a steady pace and hopefully decent weather!

Now, does anyone know of a "free" wifi connection in San Cassiano (free as in beer, though I have no objection to beer being involved in the transaction Cool ), or is that for another thread?
latest report
luigi, am heading to San Cassiano in mid March and am pondering a couple of excusrsions to parts of the Dolomites the average snowHead Arabba addicts don't normally reach...wonder if you have tried either of below or variants thereof:

Ie head to Passo Falzarego, up the HV cable car, back down to Col Gallina/Cinque Torri but then hopping on a bus (wonder if they are both frequent and free??) to head down deeper into Cortina. Then make way up to top of Pomedes, then veer across to the Tofana area - all the way up to the top, then slide back down into Cortina itself and get bus up to Col Gallina/Passo F for cable car, hidden valley, shots in Scotoni, horses, Las Vegas for apres then ski into San Cass...Phew, knackered thinking about it but could be a grand day out. Reckon that one is doable?

The other one would be to Alleghe-Zoldo area taking in some of the WWI circuit. Again up to the pass, to Cinque Torri, then bus from Fedare to get to that area, mess about a bit then get bus from Alleghe to Malga Ciapela and make it back to San Cass via Arabba/Cherz etc. This one looks like it could require a rapido lunch (ie just the two courses) to make it too.
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino, Have done your Alleghe suggestion about three times but in the other direction including the Marmolada ,in fact it is the WWI Circuit. We started from Arabba which ment we could be at the bottom of the Marmolada cable car with no queues and make a good connection with the bus from from Sottoguda to Alleghe. To fit in a civilised lunch i would not go up the Marmolade when i do it next time.
snow report
thanks riverman, does that bus to/fro Alleghe run pretty regular / frequent or more a case of pot luck?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DoubleBombardino, From memory it ran once a hour and being a ski bus was covered by the ski- pass for the Dolomites.
ski holidays
From maestro luigi,

The bus timings do make a difference, the Malga Ciapela/Sottoguda-Alleghe service runs pretty frequently every 10-15 mins, but the Pescul-Fedare service is one bus each way (we met the other on one of the hairpin bends onthe Passo Giau), so the departures are at 30min intervals, at quarter past and quarter to the hour, here's the timetable:

http://www.skicivetta.com/modules/mastop_publish/files/files_4d10a716cdc3e.pdf

probably will be much the same this year.

snowHead
ski holidays
Is anything open there yet?
latest report
Hey Sella Rondians.

Can you advise me if there is a village that would be suitable for a very very nervious beginner. I dont really want short nursey slopes but, any resorts with plenty of longer runs, that are of a nursery steepness Smile
Not quite Cross country trails but close. My GF is very timid.
If not then I will make a general post about these possibilities in the rest of europe Smile
Heres hoping.
latest report
Lots and lots of that kind of skiing in the middle of spectacular scenery, worz666. No doubt someone will be along soon who can advise more specifically.

Finally it has snowed and 30cm more forecast. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Snow on the Arabba village roofs on the webcam.
ski holidays
Hi worz666, i haven't been to the Sella Ronda for a few years, although i'm probably heading to Arabba in Feb, but from memory Selva and Santa Cristina/Ortesi are ideal places for nervous beginners, plenty of blues and 'easy' reds. Lots of pites available, and if you avoid the 'circuit' you can find quiet pistes to build confidence on. From memory, Corvara, La Villa, and Arabba are places to avoid as they are generally red/black back into town. I'm sure someone who was there last season will confirm/deny this, and as i said, this is from memory of 4 seasons ago.
ski holidays
If you are staying in Selva, and want quiet pistes, 10min bus to Ortisi, you can ski, but bus easier, there two main areas , which radiate from Ortesi, both v quiet and scenic.

One of them has a 12k blue run, top to bottom.
latest report
dublin1, I think you are referring to the Alpes de Suisi. Might fit the bill for worz666, perfectly.. As far as I know, scenic and easy.

snowHead
snow report
worz666, The place with the most gentle nursery slopes is Colfosco.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the info guys.

Looking on the 3D Dolomiti piste map it seems there are indeed a lot of Blues around Colfosco and also above Corvara. I am not silly enough to believe piste maps and the grading of blues. After last year rolling eyes
My GF is so nervous on anything but the most groomed gentle slopes. Though like I said I would like her to have some runs up the mountains away from the nursery/school areas.

Ortesi looks to have a few more reds.

I think I better start looking into accommodation and hoping for snow Smile

Anything else you can suggest will be greatfully received.

Worz
snow conditions
Seceda is wide and pretty tame. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
worz666, Corvara would be the best bet. Lots of very gentle wide and long blues. Alp di Suisi is also good but getting there from Ortisei means steepish chopped up slopes and bone shaker chairs. Plan de Gralba above Selva also hS lots of nice blues but getting there involves a taxi or steepish red. Corvara will fit the bill perfectly!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy