Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please, Bulgaria - Borovets vs Bansko ? Pamporovo, ..Slovenia ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We will be going next Feb in half term week. Has anyone been to both resorts ? How do they compare ?
We went with Neilson to Borovets but many operators go to the same hotels, which operators tend to be cheapest and the price will need to include a "ski package", we've got boots but need skis, poles, lessons and lift passes.

There is a queue every morning for the Yastrebets Gondola in Boro but otherwise it's not too bad, lunch out is always a reasonable price, the instructors speak good English; having said that the skis and boots we got in Feb05 were quite old fashioned. And the gondola was closed for our first 3 days but we were oblivious to this as we were mostly snowploughing on more gentle slopes The hotel Strazhite in Bansko looks good value, is a bus ride to the lifts ?

Interestingly, while we were in Boro I enquired about booking direct in the Hotel Rila but they wouldn't entertain the idea at all, you must go through the tour operators they said. I sensed a closing of ranks and perhaps a hang over from the iron curtain days when there was probably little room for freedom of thought, particularly if prompted by a stranger.

Any info on Basko welcome....

Or what about Pamporovo ?

Or Slovenia (but we must fly from Gatwick, it's only down the road)

Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mike.healy, have you checked in snowBase? You'll probably find a few folk there (Glynis for example) who'd be pleased to help Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mike.healy, I can't speak as to the resorts, but I have been very impressed with the Slovenian instructors who've either worked here or come here for training or exams. They're clearly up to date, and most seem to speak pretty good English. On the other hand some odd comments about about Bulgaria "straight skis for beginners" and so on have been made here, so I should stay clear of lessons. I also have a family who skied for the first time in Bulgaria (private tutor 6 hours per day), and was very disappointed with their standard considering. You might also consider that ski-ing is Slovenia's national sport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Mike

I can give you a comparison between Borovets & Bansko, but cant comment too much on Pamporovo as Ive not been there for a number of years. I know they are developing the resort but whether this means the ski area as well Im not too sure! Last time I was there the slopes were limited.

Bansko, since its development has now overtaken Borovets in the ski stakes. (Trying not to be biased now) The skiing in Bansko is better than Borovets and is all in one area, no need to walk 200m from the nursery slope to the gondola!
The gondola lost just 2 days last season because of high winds, this is due to the fact that the gondola follows the tree line so is quite sheltered. If the gondola should be closed the whole ski area is still accessible by road. The gondola in Borovets is renown for being closed for days at a time because of wind etc as it is very exposed.
Bansko is a working town so everything from food & drink to clothes and souvenirs are cheaper. Borovets being a purpose built resort reflects this in its prices, we couldnt believe how much things had gone up there the last time we went over!! We paid 4 leva for a beer (£1.50) here in Bansko the average price of a beer is 1.30 leva (0.46p).
We have skis for rent and I promise they are not antiques, they were last seasons model.
Take a look at our website it should give you a lot more info about all aspects of Bansko and the surrounding area. www.devonshirelodge.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mike.healy, I can partially echo easiski's comments on Slovenian instructors. I had a colleague go off to Slovenia last year and he came back absolutely raving about the instructor he had had. He said it was the best instruction he had ever had and had brought his skiing on no end after spending the last few years on a 'plateau'.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy