Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Modern ski boots no ski/walk mode

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

I have what's probably a really daft question about modern ski boots... the vast majority seem to have no ski/walk mode.

Is this now the norm?

My ancient (10 year old) Rossignol Saphirs have a ski/walk mode which means when you are skiing the boots are locked forward which I quite like.

Many thanks,

Fiona
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Touring or freerando boots are what you want for a proper walk mode or just dump your trainers in the bottom lift station for the easy solution.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have 5+ year old Head boots which do this automatically - there's a bar of aluminium at the heel which is pushed up when the boots are in the bindings, which stiffens them up. By comparison to the Salomon walk/ski switch at the back of my mates' boots, mine haven't broken and I also haven't found myself skiing in walk mode... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My old boots used to do this too. I have to undo the clips on the current boots for walking, and as fatbob suggests I always use the equipment lockers at the lift base stations to avoid having to walk too far in them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My boots have a ski mode, no walk mode though. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The head itype have a walk mode, if you want it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, I don't care about the walk mode tbh, but I would like the boot to stay forward in the ski position and not be able to move from this position.

I just wondered if there was any reason why most of the modern boots don't do this? Many of them seem to have an alun key adjuster that controls how much they can move back/forth but the vast majority don't seem to lock in the forward lean (I know touring boots do).

Perhaps my ancient ones were an evolutionary dead end...or the technology changed and it's better to be able to flex back and forth?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fiona, The walk mode is just something most people don't value. It's something else to break, and adds complexity to the boot where it is not needed. Having said that, doing a 45 min hike in my Langes last year is not an experience I am looking to repeat soon Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fiona, I used to have a pair which had three settings, walk, ski hard, and ski soft.

I miss those old boots, which were stolen after I had them for 10 years. I did not get a new pair the same, as they stopped that line with Nordica. I am not bothered now as the new pair which I have had for 6 years are great too!

rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends on the model and the target market.

Low end Recreationial boots, tend to have the walk/ski switch as they are aimed at less intensive skiers.

Touring and semi touring boots have the same. Like all things the advancment in tech sometimes removes the need for specific functions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fiona wrote:
Thanks guys, I don't care about the walk mode tbh, but I would like the boot to stay forward in the ski position and not be able to move from this position.

I just wondered if there was any reason why most of the modern boots don't do this? Many of them seem to have an alun key adjuster that controls how much they can move back/forth but the vast majority don't seem to lock in the forward lean (I know touring boots do).

Perhaps my ancient ones were an evolutionary dead end...or the technology changed and it's better to be able to flex back and forth?

If I'm understanding your question correctly then if your boot won't flex fowards and back then you wouldn't be able to flex your ankle, which would mean no one would be able to progress beyond an intermediate!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fiona, Boots have a certain amount of forward lean built in. Some allow you to adjust this.

But all lock you forwards, to some degree or another.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would like the boot to stay forward in the ski position and not be able to move from this position.

They all do that, more or less (allowing for a bit of essential flex at the ankle). It's what they're for.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:

If I'm understanding your question correctly then if your boot won't flex fowards and back then you wouldn't be able to flex your ankle, which would mean no one would be able to progress beyond an intermediate!

That might explain a few things about my skiing technique then Wink

My ancient boots are 10+ years old and once clicked into ski mode you can't flex the boot much, certainly not as much as the ones I've looked at recently. Based on what I can find out about my old boots the flex rating is 50-55 yet the old boots seem stiffer than flex 70 modern boots. Maybe the plastic hardened over time.

It sounds like I'll need to go for something relatively stiff to get the same sort of feel as my ancient boots when I'm finally forced to replace them...along with getting them properly fitted of course Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahhh, yup that could be a problem wink However if your are on the "intermediate plateau" then don't go for any stiff botts, they'll do more harm than good! Check out Colin at Solutions 4 Feet at Bicester, worth the trip believe me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy