Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Via Luxembourg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and trying one of Samerberg Sue's routes to Austria for one of my trips Shocked. I've decided the lure of cheaper diesel and helping her to adore me again is just too much. So, looking at it right now, any recommendations for an overnight hotel in the Duchy. Nothing flash, no need for comfy armchairs snowHead and secure parking a bonus. C'mon, I don't want to have to pass the Duchy on de left hand side.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes The things people do for a bit of flattery and a cheap tank of Derv, Toofy Grin
(and 208 is long gone wink )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, OK, it's just an experiment. According to my 1993 Michelin map, there might be a few new motorways down that way now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hotel Etap, Luxembourg Sud. Clean, modern, cheap, next to motorway. Used it several times and will use it again. Perfect functional pit stop.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, there's an Etap hotel near the motorway just south of Luxembourg ville:

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/hotel-6768-etap-hotel-luxembourg-sud/location.shtml

It's a good route to avoid tolls and get the cheap diesel though the advantage isn't as great as it used to be, the autoroute between Calais/Dunkerque and Lille is free, I found the section around Mons in Belgium to be busy, but it empties out across the Ardennes twd Lux, the only section that isn't motorway is Pirmasens to Landau, but it looks like the road has been upgraded since I drove it, then it's straightforward onto Stuttgart, Munich and all points south, though I've encountered jams on the Munich-Salzburg section.

This list shows fuel prices across Europe, 12 cents/litre cheaper in Lux compared to France & Belgium:

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny Jones, great minds think alike!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Via Luxembourg is the one of the fastest toll free routes to France and you can cut across to Germany via several fast links. The two obvious routes to Austria are via Franfurt/Wuszburg/Nuremberg or Kralsruhe/Stuggart/Augsburg. Both are via Munich but the latter is good for St Anton and Ischgl if you go via Ulm/Bregenz instead of Munich

Cheap hotels are dotted around the city/town bypasses in France but you do get them in some of the Belgium and Luxembourg. Go to Accor site (Owns Novotel, Formula One, Etap, Ibis, Mercure.....) and choose what you can afford. We normally go for Ibis which is popular in Germany but slightly dearer than Etap for a proper wash room and free internet. Check for free parking in the selected hotel. There is normally a small charge if you choose to stay inside a busy city where parking is at its premium.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones, luigi, that'll do me, thanks very much.

34 quid. Bargain.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Drive at night.

I usually get a 10pm ish tunnel out of the UK and drive through Belgium and Luxembourg with no traffic and no tolls.

Last time (a few months ago) I think diesel was about 1.19€ in Luxembourg compared to 1.47€ in France so quite a big difference...

No point getting an overnight stop, if you decide you need some sleep just park up for a couple of hours in a service station for free.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cran, Trouble is Bode Swiller, is old and needs his shut eye Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, top up in Dover at those prices Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunno about Diesel, but 98 octane is about €1.57/litre here, so add a bit more for the Autobahn, and another €0.02/litre if it's the weekend (Thurs-Mon). So tank up in Luxembourg+Austria is my recommendation, and avoid tanking up in Germany.

Most Ibis i've stayed in have had paid-for WiFi. One in NL you could get a 1hour free token from the bar. One in Munich had free WiFi in the other Accor group hotel next door, but Ibis was paid for. Could access the adjacent hotel's free wifi from my room and the bar/terrace Smile

No idea of any hotels in the suggested vicinity, though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cran, I used to do that... drive until my eyes bleed / pull over and kip etc but t'other half assumes I'll probably die that way so the compromise (aka I give in) is to stop somewhere. Anyway it's not a race. Always do the homeward leg without a stopover.

At my fuel consumption that price difference will save me a tenner! So, not doing it for that reason, just trying an alternative route to the usual two down through Germany.

Boredsurfing, the truth hurts sometimes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's an easy-to-find Carrefour in Calais that sells fuel at much lower prices than the motorway services. My strategy is to arrive in Calais with an empty tank, and to fill up there, Luxembourg and Austria. With a c28mpg (fully laden motorway speeds with 5 mountain bikes attached) Discovery, savings over both legs of the journey are pretty significant - enough to fund a smugly satisfied smile, anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and make sure you get your vignette for Austria! it cost me a lot with work time skipping from Switzerland to Germany via Austria...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy