Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein Lift Pass Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks

Off to Bad Gastein on the 10th of next month and was wondering if anybody had any cheap lift pass tips. I've seen that I can expect to pay about E190 for six days early season pass but I need seven days. Would you guys simply recommend buying the 6 day pass and then just buy a local ticket on the final day at the place we decide to ski?

Any tips to pre-purchase tickets from a website or anywhere? Any tips would be greatly welcomed folk. I know how much help you guys were earlier in the year when I was considering this trip so was hoping to pick your brains again Smile I've heard some hotels sell?

On a different note... conditions? I am hearing a terrible start - any thoughts?

All the best

Ryan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The lift office under the Stubnerkogel gondola, (above the railway station) is the best place to get this sorted....and as far as I know you can now buy pass for 7 days, you just have to go to the counter to buy it and NOT at the vending machines.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
right, I guess you know the area? We have never been, but we are staying the Mondi Bellevue - is this close by? Also, my partner needs skis and poles to hire - any nearby recommendations?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kinda....been there twice, you're just a short clump up the road to the Stubnerkogel, lovely hotel but don't get trapped in there, get out and hit The Silver Bullet, Hagbloms...and the lower bars down the back.

We stayed in the Barenhof (beside the wellness center) across from the Railway station....there's a lovely Chinese restaurant up there.

As for the ski shop....there's great Intersport (there always is isn't there?) just up the road, on the opposite side of the Railway station.....they'll keep up your stuff overnight too...barring that there's a ski shop built under the stubner walkway...it's pricey but it's the closest to the piste....but I'd opt for the Intersport cos of their range.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nice one - is my hotel a good walk away from the slopes?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nah....5 mins, just past the Shell garage in the middle of the road....Bad Gastein town is notoriously lethally hilly, so get a locker....you'll appreciate it in the morning, cos you're downhill from it (but nothing too high)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
so I guess the idea is boots straight off in locker, apres in normal shoes/boots? we will do that for sure
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shenryo, dazman, you guys seam to be sorting your holiday to Bad Gastein out yourselves but I thought i'd chip in.

dazman, you can buy your lift pass online at www.skigastein.com although i'm not too sure if they're offering a discount. Another option for lift passes in Ski Amade is the 5 in 7 days pass which is worth considering if you want a day off in the spa.

I'd also consider looking at these other places for ski hire:

First Descent - a good local shop behind the Shell garage. www.first-descent.com

Ski Hire Lederer - dazman you've probably seen this place. Its the wooden building on the Stubnerkogel Bahn car park. The hire is a bit cheaper than other places, worth it if you pay for the top end stuff as they have Salomon Tornado's etc. Very hand for the lift and they have a free ski store. http://skiverleih-lederer.members.cablelink.at.

Let me know if either of you need anymore info. There's not much I don't know about the place! snowHead

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey Kersh,

Was hoping you'd respond also Smile Practically speaking, it will be night time when we arrive in Bad Gastein (we have reserved a transfer from Munich airport to BG with gasteintaxi.com - E280 though!!! The train was slightly cheaper but having skis and luggage is the pain) so where would you recommend when staying at the Bellevue Mondi for ski hire and lift tickets?

Also, what on Earth is going on with the snow conditions? I am scared now Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey shenryo,

280 Euro taxi transfer from Munich Airport is quite a good price. I shopped around for a transfer from Salzburg last year and think I paid 240 Euro. The train from Munich is a great journey but if there's a group of you or the price is about the same, you're much better off in a taxi.

Lift tickets - just buy them at the kiosk under the Stubnerkogel lift. You can't miss it!!! As for ski hire, any of the places round the lift will be fine. As a general rule, I try not line the pockets of the large companies like Intersport so I use the local companies like First Descent or Lederer. I'd say First Descent have a wider variety of skis for hire. From the Bellevue to the lift, you walk right past the door First Descent too. They have a depot but to be honest, I bet the Bellevue do to. Like Dazman says, there's a very steep hill to walk down from the ski shop to the Bellevue so you may want to use the depot. Personally, I wouldn't bother as it's not that far. You can stop for a quick break at the Silver Bullet on the way past anyway (any excuse eh!! snowHead ) Try the walk down the walk up and down the hill and then decide if you want to pay for the depot. Alternatively, use Lederer and the ski depot is free! Toofy Grin I'm going to see if Lederer will give a discount to our guests this year.

As for the snow ... it seams to be the case right across the Alps at the moment. Check out the weather outlook thread, it looks like it'll improve. When are you going?

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for all the info Kersh. We head out on December 10th. I've heard all about THE HILL lol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shenryo, Laughing It will keep you fit! I'm there from the 16th.

Cheers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kersh, we'll be out over Christmas if you'll be there? We're with Ski Miquel in the tannenberg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently the snow makers are now working? Hopefully... I am a little worried, I must admit
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt, unfortunately i'm just there for the weekend with a group of friends. When do you arrive?

shenryo, a few of the snow cannons have been working for a few weeks now. You can see them on the webcams of Angertal and next to the Bucheben lift. However it has to be said, looking at Waynos's photos of Schladming recently, nowhere near as much as other parts of Ski Amade. I'm not entirely sure why they aren't flogging the artificial for all it's worth. Hopefully it will start snowing soon though!

Cheers
snow report
Kersh, Arrive Xmas Eve so first day of skiing is Xmas Day! We should be able to ski till mid afternoon on NYE as well as the flight back is quite late. You probably know better than I where the tannenberg is, but if you;re in town while we're there and fancy meeting upfor a pint or for some skiing, it'd be nice
ski holidays
are there bus transfers around the Ski Amade?
snow report
shenryo, hopefully it won't be an issue (we have guests her from the 3rd!).. .but I am sure the town will be offering an easy way for you to get to the glacier at Kaprun. Just pop in to the tourist info and find some bus times.. it should take about an hour max.
snow report
The Gasteins are a little out on there own compared to the majority of the Ski Amadé area... the glacier is probably your best bet rather than trudging all the way back to the Sportwelt or Hochkoenig areas.
snow report
so just see what it's like before committing to a lift pass then
snow conditions
shenryo, the forecast looks ok from the 3rd. Hopefully at least Sportgastein will be up and running.

As soon as the temps drop, they'll start with the snow cannons up top. I'm sure if there's nothing, the Bellevue will help you. They're one of the biggest hotels in the town and I doubt they'll leave you in the lurch. Failing that, there's the tourist office ... or me! Very Happy

The Kaprun Glacier is my back up for the 16th if it's poor but it looks like it'll be ok.

Kersh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy