Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Min mm waterproofing for ski jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried a jacket with 5000mm or less when skiing - any disadvantages? Will they keep you warm in a snowstorm?
I read somewhere that 8000mm minimum is best but not sure where I read that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're stickin to/near to the pistes, the jacket doesn't matter toooo much (unless you're a freak like me who prefers storm skiing to sun). 10k is a good benchmark for salopettes, although if you're a sunshine skier you can get away with less.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How wet is your hypothetical snowstorm and how windy? Remember you can be wet and warm quite easily and are likely to be regardless of the techness of your gear if there isn't a vapour gradient to breathe out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm pretty sure my old Patagucci Mixmaster didn't have 5k mm waterproofing and I never got cold in it.

"Waterproof" isn't the be all and end all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've not skiied in waterproofs for quite a few years now. At very low temperatures, you don't need waterproofing because you're not going to get liquid water on the outside of the fabric. At near-freezing, where you're going to get rain, or sleet, or snow melting on the fabric, you'll actually benefit from proper shells. If you're spending a lot of time on your back bottom, especially when its warmer, you'll definitely want trews with a decent HH. Several of my snowboardy friends complain that a lot of budget ski gear isn't good enough for boarders, cos of the amount of time they spend sitting down, resulting in wet bums.

Aside from the trousers thing, I don't think you actually need worry about the hydrostatic head unless you're in driving rain, or you're skiing fast in rain... anything above 3000mm should ward off the impact pressure of raindrops just fine (and I think the legal UK definition of 'waterproof' is only 1500mm, but I could be wrong!)

Keeping warm is a separate issue from keeping dry, but if you're not skiing in actual rain or into rivers or ice climbing between runs or getting armfuls of snow stuffed down your neck by your friends and family, the difference won't really matter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh wrote:
If you're spending a lot of time on your back bottom...

Gosh. That was a pretty tame word to censor rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check zips and pockets are waterproof. I've had waterproof ski clothing where material is proofed but the zips easily leak. Breath-ability is just as important.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh wrote:
I've not skiied in waterproofs for quite a few years now. At very low temperatures, you don't need waterproofing because you're not going to get liquid water on the outside of the fabric. At near-freezing, where you're going to get rain, or sleet, or snow melting on the fabric, you'll actually benefit from proper shells. If you're spending a lot of time on your back bottom, especially when its warmer, you'll definitely want trews with a decent HH. Several of my snowboardy friends complain that a lot of budget ski gear isn't good enough for boarders, cos of the amount of time they spend sitting down, resulting in wet bums.

Aside from the trousers thing, I don't think you actually need worry about the hydrostatic head unless you're in driving rain, or you're skiing fast in rain... anything above 3000mm should ward off the impact pressure of raindrops just fine (and I think the legal UK definition of 'waterproof' is only 1500mm, but I could be wrong!)

Keeping warm is a separate issue from keeping dry, but if you're not skiing in actual rain or into rivers or ice climbing between runs or getting armfuls of snow stuffed down your neck by your friends and family, the difference won't really matter.

I suppose it's not so much the effect of snow/rain as it never rains much on top of the mountain and any snowstorm will likely just fall off the jacket.
I was more worried about falling over, then sitting on chair lift and having the trousers get wet and it soak through?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GordonFreeman wrote:

I suppose it's not so much the effect of snow/rain as it never rains much on top of the mountain and any snowstorm will likely just fall off the jacket.

Clearly you've never skied in Whistler or the Sierras or Scotland or Les Gets (among others)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Indeed...

One could make an absolute bomb selling Arcteryx branded Umbrellas in Whistler...Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:

Clearly you've never skied in Whistler or the Sierras or Scotland or Les Gets (among others)

I've only skied Les Gets once and got absolutely soaked and then my jacket froze solid on the way back to Champery. Still stayed warm enough though. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman wrote:
I was more worried about falling over, then sitting on chair lift and having the trousers get wet and it soak through?

When you sit on a chair lift and it's covered in snow, it melts - result cold wet botty. Sad Good waterproof rating, happy cheeks. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It rains in Whistler? During ski season??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:

Lots of Whistler is low, and being right by the sea has a relatively warm, temperate climate.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:

When I worked in Scotland many many moons ago, my ski school uniform was made of something that can only be described as Absorbotex. Basically the gear soaked up so much water it took probably half an hour for my undies to begin to float. Luckily, a tough upbringing meant I had waterproof skin. And even luckier, my feet were so freakin' cold it took my mind off being soaked. Wind chill was just something we dreamt about. So, 5000, 10000, 10000000... it matters not. If it cuts out the wind, lets the droplets roll off and breathes a bit, you're sorted.
snow report
8611 wrote:

You bet! Been nearly drowned there! Will never go there again despite great skiing just because of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy