Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Surfanic gear any good

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, due to my 4 stone weight loss i have been looking for the last few months for new ski gear, i have been looking on fleabay and in TK Max ect.

I notice Surfanic is in TK max and alkso they have some good prices for 5000mm h/h and 10000mm h/h geaqr on both the bay and TK Max.

Has anyone actually ever used Surfanic salopettes and jackets and has it kept you warm, and most important dry. Especially your bum when sitting on ski lift chairs that are wet.

Many thanks

Tim B baggins Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought some surfanic pants for my daughter and I would say they are of the same standard as Dare2Be and Tresspass.
They kept her warm and dry but that was in fairly pleasant conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If same as Trespass and D2B, then i might give it a miss, thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably next step up D2B and Trespass based on the kids stuff I've bought, never any complaints from them about it from them and I'm sure they would let me know if it wasn't warm and dry (and cool!) enough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timbobaggins, I don't have a problem with my Surfanic gear.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ive got a great surfanic Jacket, had it all last season, in wet/snow it was great, and a third of the price of the North Face I originally wanted - go for it!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi folks, thanks for replies, its the salopettes i am particularly interested in, i am sick of wet bum on ski lift syndrome!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter has a lovely pink surfanic jacket - with lots of pockets and trimmings and other features such as magnet fastening as well as the zip. It has done her two ski hols and she has never complained of feeling cold/wet. It looks better quality than the jackets in the trespass shop.

I also bought some surfanic gloves for myself last time and they were fine - have a little wiper feature to clean snow off goggles!!

No experience of their salopettes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took Surfanic sallopettes for one of my brood and was really impressed by their build quality and longevity.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Middle daughters Surfantic salopetts survived all the sitting on the snow a snowboard beginner gave them no problem
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It might just see the week out. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timbobaggins, Don't be fooled buy the tresspass brand. some if the gear in Particular the Tres tex stuff is a good standard. I've seen this stuff perform in some shocking conditions. If you're on a budget but still want performance the stuff is worth considering.
http://www.trespass.co.uk/product/mens-clothing-1/mens-outerwear-1/waterproof-jackets-3/encore-MAJKSKE20057
http://www.trespass.co.uk/product/mens-clothing-1/mens-outerwear-1/ski-and-snow-pants-2/buckeye-MABTSKE20009
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree it's on a par with Dare2be/Decathlon/Tresspass. Good performance on a budget - buy for kids, once a year skiing plus use at home or first season on limited cash. I've had plenty of staff turn up with those brands, all got good use out of the kit with no complaints.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jackets are great... Trousers seems to be a bit weak in the inners (seams, stitches and quality of material).
I have split 2 pairs of trousers... but I wrote to Surfanic and took some photos and they honored the guarantees they offer... replaced my whole set-up jacket and all!! Excellent customer service!
didn't stop me splitting those trousers either... but maybe, just maybe it might be me! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mate had some Surfanic salopettes for boarding for the whole season and didn't have any problems. In fact Surfanic stuff was really popular in general with seasonnaires, probably cos it's cheap and has a bit "cooler" brand image than Trespass etc.
snow conditions
bobmcstuff, deffo me then!!
snow conditions
i've bought Surfanic for my kids and have had no problems in two seasons plus they wear the jackets for school. Dare2b (part of Craghoppers) are inferior - I have a soft shell and it's pants to be honest - very poor quality but i only use it for dog walking.
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, boys have had a couple of pairs of Surfanic pants along the way - of all the kids stuff they have had, been most impressed with these. Skied hard in all conditions for approx 6 weeks before they grew out of them. Mananged to sell them on too Very Happy
snow conditions
Timbobaggins, firstly, congratulations on the weight loss! I've had a couple of pairs of their ski pants and never had a problem with them. Dry and warm enough, with good zip options to cool off if needed. Good value for money.
latest report
Quote:

If same as Trespass and D2B, then i might give it a miss, thanks

I know nothing (as many others would agree) and can't compare to anything else, but I can say that I bought a pair of 10000mm D2B salopettes and they were fantastic. I spent half the time sitting, kneeling or falling on the snow and never got the slightest wet. They also didn't show any wear. Like I said, I can't compare, but they did me well Smile
ski holidays
Timbobaggins,
Quote:

If same as Trespass and D2B, then i might give it a miss, thanks.

I wouldn't write off any of these brands, especially if you get the higher specc'd stuff (e.g. 10000mm and above). I think they give excellent value for money compared to the named brands, and for your average piste skiier they are probably all you need.
My D2B salopettes are in their 5th season now (although I only get to go once a year ;-( ) and cost me £30. Never had a wet bum ... yet.
snow report
Surfanic base layers have been brilliant for me. The long sleeve top has been worn and washed countless times over three years (I wear it cycling) and it is still going strong. Which is no help to you at all because I don't own any of their ski trousers.

snow report
Like most people seem to be saying in this thread, surfanic are OK.. I have a pair of ski pants that I used for 2 trips that were both comfortable and warm despite some particularly harsh conditions.. For the sake of spending £40 instead of £100 for a few week's use, you can't really go wrong..
snow report
Cheers for the answers folks, Its a bit of a dilema really. I have been skiing since 1999, twice a year since. Over that period of time i have had numerous cheepy salopettes and cheepy jackets. I am in the position now of having lost 4 stone AND kept the weight off for nearly a year, do i do the following

A) Go for a Bargain brand ( Trespass/D2B/Surfanic ) spending anything from £50-£150 or
B) Bite the bullet pay a fortune for a goretex known soooper doooper brand

I am NOT a brand snob, i was even wearing my ASDA jeans today Very Happy Very Happy

BUT if i buy a bargain brand as in example A, i just want to make sure i am dry and the gear does not fall apart after 1 season, "Buy cheap Buy twice" as my dear old mama would say.
snow report
Quote:

i have had numerous cheepy salopettes and cheepy jackets

Well that explains it - you're buying birds' gear. Laughing
latest report
Timbobaggins, get something half decent and expensive enough that you can't afford to not fit in it Wink

There's a huge range £100-300, even better if you can get something on sale often at 50% off.
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, never mind outerwear, you're likely to need much more serious thermals than you're used to. Mr L lost a load of weight a couple of seasons ago, suddenly found he was freezing. We had to waste an afternoon raiding Decathlon for woolly vests. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard,

I know, just got back from a week diving in the Red Sea, normally in November a 5mm wetsuit pluss my blubber kept me warm, This time in a 5mm wetsuit i was freezing after 45 min dive in 24 degree C water.

Fortunately i have some good base layer thermals due to being a Carp Fisherman!!!!

Tell you what, losing weight costs a blooming fortune, New clothes, new wetsuit, new ski gear, new fishing clothes. Personallly i think its cheaper to eat pies and drink beer Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timbobaggins, think yourself lucky you didn't have to keep buying new bras. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Lizzard,

I do, but only in private Embarassed Smile
snow report
Timbobaggins, I have surfanic pants in green and find them great. They keep me warm and dry. I wouldn't exactly say they are a cheap brand with most of the pants starting at £79.99 (unless I'm just a cheapskate?). I know TK Maxx has usually got last seasons stock or even older usually from the previous few seasons which is why they seem to be cheap. There is a Surfanic shop at Xscape Castleford which is a decent store. Take a look http://www.surfanic.co.uk/CAT_ListCategories.aspx?cid=201&category=Ski-Pants
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, if they're on a par with Trespass then I wouldn't hesitate. I have two pairs of salopettes that I wear regularly - one Trespass and the other a posy brand and the former win hands down.
latest report
Managed to get a Helly Hansen 10000mm h/h jacket of fleabay for £32 today, just got to find some salopettes Very Happy
ski holidays
Timbobaggins,
Quote:
I am NOT a brand snob

Quote:

Managed to get a Helly Hansen 10000mm h/h jacket of fleabay for £32 today, just got to find some salopettes Very Happy

But sir I feel you are Smile

I do seasons in Trespass D2B and Surfanic they are good. I always feel It does not matter if you paid £400 or £80 for a Jacket and it's going to catch on the chair or get your ski edges across it it will hurt but hurt a lot less at £80 and a £400 item will not be greatly stronger.
ski holidays
Another vote for Trespass and, if Surfanic are on a par with those, go for it. I have had a pair of Trespass salopettes for at least 5 years, skiing a couple of weeks each season in all sorts of conditions. Never been cold or wet and apart from a bit of scuffing at the hems, they look like new
snow report
Dwarf Vader,

Got my eye on a rather nice pair of TRESPASS 15000mm h/h salopettes on flea bay as we speak Very Happy

So not a brand snob, so there NehNeh
latest report
Dwarf Vader,

Keep an eye out for me last weekend in Jan, will be blasting La Rosiere to bits!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
Surfanic gear is normally very well priced on mandmdirect.com.
latest report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Dwarf Vader,

Keep an eye out for me last weekend in Jan, will be blasting La Rosiere to bits!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a PM in Jan to sort a ski out. Smile
snow conditions
I've had a Surfanic jacket doing my last 2 seasons and had no troubles at all. It ripped a bit where there was some metal detailing that caught on something but otherwise it has coped handsomely with race training, off pisting, apres skiing etc. I've only replaced it now as I got bored of the colour, and did feel a bit cheap next to the North Faces and HHs. I still use it for teaching the UK as it's nice and cosy and ripped clothing just makes me look hardcore and scares clients. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy