Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the difference between Rail Europe and TGV Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
My understanding is that Rail Europe are owned or linked to SNCF and are the official UK sales agent for SNCF tickets.

Who are TGV Europe? Are they also linked to SNCF?

Does it make any difference whether I buy train tickets through Rail Europe or TGV Europe, other than the obvious one that Rail Europe fares are in sterling and TGV Europe in Euros?

TGV Europe prices seem to sometimes come out earlier than Raileurope ones so are TGV Europe the more reliable of the two companies or are they all part of the same company SNCF?
Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowymum, Have a look at this site. It's got all sorts of useful information about buying tickets and the difference between companies.

http://www.seat61.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowymum, I only use TGV Europe or SNCF Voyages when booking trains as I think that Rail Europe impose a service charge on top of the fare. Having used the SNCF voyages and TGV Europe websites multiples times I only have praise once then release the tickets as they send them in the post quite quickly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And you can even print them off at home in some cases.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowymum, dunno, but I tried a mock booking over the weekend with both and couldn't get a result, I was trying to get a London to Moutiers and it kept telling me no can do. Yet if I tried the legs seperately I could easily get a London-Paris and then a Paris-Moutiers Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I never use Raileurope because it often ends up more expensive and it is less flexible in terms of mixing travel classes for different legs and having longer or shorter stopovers in Paris
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, I don't think TGV Europe sell the direct trains to Moutiers etc. It is Eurostar who sell the tickets for these trains and I think they only run on fridays and the weekend. They might not release their tickets until 3/4 months beforehand, which is currently the major problem with booking train tickets.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Arno - who do you book your train tickets with? SNCF voyages?

Sarah - Try Eurostar for the direct ski train. They might be fairly booked up if you are looking for school hols. you might have to treat yourself to first class Very Happy

If you are wanting the changing in paris option I think it is best to book the two parts separately. Ie. book London to Paris return with Eurostar. Then book Paris moutiers with Rail Europe or TGV Europe.

Last time we booked the french part of the journey we were all ready at the computer the day the tickets came out and we logged onto rail europe to find the website was shut for the whole weekend for maintenance. rolling eyes The office was also shut for New Year weekend. Fortunately we discovered TGV Europe at that point.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, snowymum, I don't mind about the train being the direct one, I'm ok to go via Paris but I would have wanted to book it as one journey with one company for ease, but it didn't seem possible. Maybe this was with Rail Europe, thought I had tried both, as was also trying Eurostar, but might not actually have tried TGV Europe. Will try again!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, I have never really been bothered by that. Doesn't take much effort to get booking pages for both Eurostar and TGV alongside each other to coordinate the times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum, i've always used voyages SNCF. it's in French but nothing too complicated for my GCSE level French!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christopher, thanks, if I go that route, how much time should I allow between the two trains?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, If you're doing it for the first time Gare du Paris > Gare du Lyon I would give an hour. The least I've left is 40 minutes and it was tight as my TGV was 15-20mins late and caught by Eurostar with only 15-20mins spare. Assuming you're happy to take the the RER (Metro) it is a 15 minute journey without changes and I think far cheaper and quicker than a taxi.

Be careful of pick pockets as it is apparently a problem. I have done this twice alone without major problems.

This explains quite a lot of the detail: http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/how-change-paris/transfer-paris-nord-paris-lyon

So does this website: http://www.seat61.com/Paris-metro.htm

Gare du Lyon has two different areas to the station the main concourse and an area tucked away a little called the Salle Méditerranée. It is all signposted with large timetables, but be careful that you find the right one in time.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 21-11-11 22:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, thanks, very useful, and I have now got TGV Europe with the through journey. Expensive though Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, Yeah it works out cheaper normally to change in Paris. For future reference the only way it seems to garuntee cheap fares on the TGV is to literally book the morning the tickets go on sale, which is 3 months in advanced.

Enjoy as it is much more pleseant and less delay prone than flying.
snow report
Christopher, Is that a rolling 3 months or does the "whole" month go on sale at once? Thanks
snow conditions
Tony Ellwood, Rolling sale. New tickets released everyday. If I remember rightly it works along the lines of if you want to book for say the 7th March they get released at 23:00 GMT on the 6th December as they get released at midnight European time. The reason to book then is the limited Prems tickets, which are dirt cheap compared to what the prices get raised to. Have in consecutive years managed to get Paris to Bourg St.Maurice or Oulx for €40-50 return, which is a bargain going on a steal in my book.

I can't even get a return train from Oxford to Leeds with a student railcard and advanced fares for those price on what I regard as a far inferior service.
latest report
If anyone under 30 is thinking of making several journeys in Europe, the French under 26 card is currently available up to the age of 30. Gives discounts of French fares, but also for some other European countries (but not UK).
ski holidays
I'm doing the Paris to Bourg St Maurice overnight trip. Does TGV Europe get the cheap tickets (normally available midnight on day of issue, earlier than Rail Europe? Are they both French time? A few minutes can make a difference as they go fast.
snow report
I'm trying to book the lunea from Paris to Bourg St Maurice overnight on the 25th Jan. Tried both SNCF and Raileurope, but not taking bookings, the timetables are not avaiable yet due to engineering works.....not sure if anyone can offer advice, my whole trip is based on using the overnight, local French route. They advertise it is a daily service? Booking lines are useless, get no answers at all and can't give any dates of when timetables will be confirmed.
snow report
TGV-Europe is an English language version of Voyages-SNCF. Tickets usually go on sale at 6am 3 months prior to the travel date on a rolling basis. RailEurope is more expensive and is best avoided. It is generally cheaper to buy Eurostar separately and then use TGV-Europe for the leg from Paris to the mountains.
I work with SNCF, so this information is current.
ski holidays
Thanks crunchie, I already have my Eurostar for March. Thay came on line about 11.40 British time.
Just waiting to get the Austerlitz couchette tickets to Bourg St M. Wasn't sure if TGV Europe was just TGV trains or all French trains.
ski holidays
Good luck with the couchette.....still trying to book mine for Jan....claiming engineering work may divert the route or cancel.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy