Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heading to Winter Park - Group vs Max 4 lessons? Lessons everyday?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone,

Me and the wife will be at Winter Park for 4 days before Dec 16th (before they jack up their rates wink)...With 3 days of actual ski time.

I am a very much a novice skier and the wife has never skied before. We would like to take lessons together, and were debating on which lessons to sign up for- the Full day lessons vs Max 4 lessons:

Full Day lesson:
"Our Full Day Lesson line up is guaranteed to offer more runs, more turns and more FUN than skiing and riding alone, or you next lesson is free! Full Day lessons run from 9:30am to 3pm. Class sizes may vary during holidays and weekends, but average 6-8 students per instructor."

Max 4 lessons:
"Our new MAX 4 program is guaranteed for maximum fun! The semi-private format is limited to 4 guests per instructor. Half Day lessons run from 11:45am to 2:45pm."

One is 5.5 hours with 6-8 people the other is 3 hours with up to 4 people. Considering this is before the high season, and we would be there during the weekdays would there be a high chance that the Full Day lesson would have less than 6 people?
So, which would you recommend?

Also, we have 3 consecutive days we can ski. Would one lesson session be enough - or should we take 2 or 3 days of lessons?

Thanks,

Bob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bob01 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Considering this is before the high season, and we would be there during the weekdays would there be a high chance that the Full Day lesson would have less than 6 people?
So, which would you recommend?

Also, we have 3 consecutive days we can ski. Would one lesson session be enough - or should we take 2 or 3 days of lessons?

Thanks,

Bob

Yes, they could certainly have fewer than 6 but I have the chances of this are better the higher the lesson level. I have had 1-1 "group" lessons early season at Keystone, but the lower level groups typically have more students.

One thing that you should consider is that they may want to split you up as you have a bit of experience and your wife is a never ever. Of course, you could just say that you want to do the first time lesson and they would probably let you go.

Thinking about it, there is a chance that they don't have a lot of never-evers that time of year, so you might find yourselves in a small group anyways. If it was me, I would probably sign up for the larger group for the first day and see how it goes. One issue with first timers is that they are just figuring out the equipment, etc so a lot of time could be spent with that if it turned out to be a large group.

Not sure if you are coming from sea level, but if you are not spending time in Denver or elevation first, plan to take it somewhat easy the first day: CO resorts are high which helps to have good snow and a long season, but a small % do have altitude adjustment issues which can be exacerbated by dehydration, too much booze and/or lack of sleep. Get rest and drink water beforehand.

I'd say to try to get your hire equipment sorted the afternoon before, if possible, especially if you go for the earlier lesson.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to Winter Park back in 2008 as a novice skier (well I had done a 3 hr lesson at xscape).

I went at exactly the same time as you before xmas and it was really very quiet.

We booked a Salomon learn to ski course which was a 2 full days of lesson/equipment/lift pass and I'm fairly sure it was meant to be a group lesson but as it turned out there was only me and my OH in the group so we had a private lesson. I have since had this happen to me at every ski trip I have taken - we have lucked out big time!

The instruction was really good and we came on a lot during those 2 days. We had further lessons in groups later in the trip and the groups had between 4-8 people in them.

Enjoy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
group lessons - more tuition is better than less. Take at least 2 days I'd say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bob- Do you like the answers above better or here http://www.epicski.com/t/107089/group-vs-semi-private-lessons-lessons-everyday#post_1390176
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You are choosing a good time to go skiing. Usually the couple of weeks before Christmas feature not many people around and usually good snow.

A few things to make your trip better:

1) If you haven't been working out, start now! Even a brisk walk for 15 to 20 minutes per day with a good stretch at the end will make a difference.
2) Find out what works good for you to eat in in the morning and snack. yes, do this now because you don't want tummy troubles on the mountain.

OK so onto your question

a) How close in skiing ability are your wife and you? If you are both at the never-ever stage then doing lessons together is probably a good thing. If you can make it down the hill without having any out of control moments or falling too much, then you'll both get frustrated: You because she is holding you up and her because she thinks she is holding you back. Yeah, this is going to just feedback until something blows up. I'd recommend for at least a day you do your lesson and she does hers. At the end of the first day you'll have chance to take a run together and see where you stand and if it's better to do separate lessons or not for the next day

b) The semi-private nature of the ski instruction is going to be great. You'll both get a lot of attention and technique assistance.

c) Make certain you take some time so you guys can ski together without instructors. If you come to Colorado, do nothing but lessons, and then go home it's like flying off to a business trip and making skiing a job. Quite a few people come here and do just the opposite: spend a week skiing and then take a lesson the last day they are here. How will you practice the stuff you learned? Next year? Anyway, maybe do lessons for the first few days you are here: separate lessons until you are both at around the same ability. Then a lesson or two together. Then the last day off by yourselves.

When you come back to Colorado next year, then schedule a 7 or 10 day trip to Breckenridge. This way you can take the first day to get your legs back. Next, spend a day or so taking lessons, ski a day by yourselves, take a day off to recuperate, and then ski some more days along until you go home.

Breckenridge has four mountains and a lot of varied terrain. Don't get me wrong, Winter Park is a great place to ski and Mary Jane is big fun if you are a bump skier (the whole mountain is mogul runs - I love this place!). But you'll want to try something different. Copper Mountain is a good mountain too. Both these areas have long and wide beginner runs. Another great place is Beaver Creek - all the easy runs are on the top of the mountain and you can ride the lift down if you don't want to take blue run down to the base area (it's flat, but steep in some areas, either a confidence builder or abject terror). Beaver Creek is connected to Arrowhead (same lift ticket) and Arrowhead has a bunch of easy stuff too.

I wouldn't recommend Vail until you both have entered intermediate skiing ability. For one thing, Vail is HUGE - 6000 acres - 640 acres is a section and a section is a square mile. Yeah, the area basically covers 10 square miles of ski area. Next, terrain is groomed and very nice to ski on but there will be lots of variation in surface and pitch as you ski down the hill - you'll need a few more tools in your skier toolbox to handle without getting frustrated. Most of the beginner stuff is on the front of the hill and the really great skiing is off in the backside of the resort. In short, you'll be paying a lot to stay to some very limited spaces of the mountain. You'll want to be a good, solid, beginner-intermediate before going here. By the time you leave, if you spend a week here, you'll probably have graduated to advanced-intermediate.

Hope this helps.

Have a great time skiing!

ColoSkiDude
Colorado Springs, Colorado
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you everyone for chiming in!

I think for sure we will take different lessons. Last time I skied, was 3 years ago and I was just beginning to get proficient in turning/speed control. Seeing how its been a while - it's probably a good idea I start with lesson #2? Winter Park's lesson plans:

"
LEARN TO SKI:
First time skiers will explore the skills needed to stop and ride the chairlift with confidence.

CONTROL BY TURNING:
Focus is on building control and confidence using turns as the way to manage your speed. Learn new skills in Discovery Park and move to new terrain and lifts.

INTRO TO PARALLEL:
This level builds on existing skills to make your shaped skis perform even better, allowing you to finish turns with your skis parallel.

PERFECTING PARALLEL:
Improve your skills on changing terrain as you learn to maximize the use of your equipment. Move from blue terrain to blue/black terrain.

BUMPS & STEEPS:
Our coaches will focus on the tips and tactics that will bring you to the next level while skiing "North America's Best Bumps."
"

Alternatively - I could just bum off the first day and see if I can remember how to do turns - but I have a strange feeling it won't be fruitful Razz

The way the trip is setup - we have 3 full days at the resort and 2 days to hang out in Denver. So not really a whole lot of time to take lessons/just go skiing unfortunately. Looking at the prices of lessons - the Max 4 and the Group lessons are the same price ($139 inclusive of rentals, pass and lunch) - so I think we'll just chance it and do the group lessons and hope we don't get stuck with too many people Happy. Considering the pricing for rentals and ski passes - its $42 more pp to have a coach and lunch - so I think we'll opt for 3 days of lessons - hopefully we are not too worn out after the lessons to just do some skiing, but I think thats probably going to happen :-/

We are living at Sea Level (South Florida), so the sudden change in altitude (and temp) probably wont help....even when I was in decent shape (doing marathons), I was still pretty sore all over - bringing advil with me this time Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy