Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport transfer to Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone travelled from Geneva Airport to Montgenevre or able to offer any advice? I'm looking for the best value transfer for 2 people, preferably not by hiring a car. It will be on 7/1/12 returning after a week.

I've tried searching on various sites but I'm not really coming up with anything Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately Montgenevre is very poorly served from Geneva as it's far better served from Italy. You could get the train to Briancon and then bus / taxi but it's a very long, roundabout journey and involves quite a few changes. I suspect you can't, but is there any way to change your flight ? If so, fly to Turin and these people will do the transfer http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/en/transfer-towns/montgenevre/public-transport
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Briancon to Montenevre is just 8 miles. Never done it in a taxi because I drove. Did skied Montgenevre a few times by staying at Briancon.

Would have thought if you manage to Briancon then a taxi for 8 miles should not be a problem. Don't know any bus service but that is a trunk road to Italy except it is a mountain pass being kept clear of snow during winter.

Montgenevre is at the top of the pass. I have stayed in Briancon and went as far as Sestriere and Sauze D'Olux on a day strip. From Briancon the nearest resort is Montgenevre , it next door neighbour is Claviere (11 miles from Briancon) which is fully linked with Montgenevre, then bottom of the pass on the Italian side is Cesana (16 miles from Briancon) and Sestriere (22 miles from Briancon) is in the dead end of a side valley. Sauze D'Olux is also 22 miles from Briancon along the road to Turin but it and Sestriere are linked with Cesana. That is the entire Milky Way skiing domain.

There are a couple of threads on transfer from Geneva (or Verbier) to Briancon which give additional info. Last time I checked there were two daily two train services from Geneva changing at either Grenoble or valence.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
walker2686, try Go Montgenevre or Ski Etoile, they are small Montgenevre operators, they do arrange transfers for their clients so may possibly be able to help. Or if you can get a train from Geneva to Oulx in Italy then that's only a shrt taxi ride. Best of luck.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any form of road transfer between Geneva and Montgenevre will cost you considerably more than hiring a car. This is particularly the case as there are just two of you. Driving via the Maurienne Valley, Frejus Tunnel is really straightforward and can be done in less than 3 hours.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. I will explain fully as to why a hire car isn't really an option... I will be driving to Montgenevre myself from the UK with my wife and 2 others and was due to pick my brother up from Geneva Airport en route as he did not want to be squashed in the back all the way. His new girlfriend is now coming with us to take the group up to 6.. my car seats 5! Aside from getting a 7 seater (wife will divorce me!) I'm looking for the best and cheapest way for them to get to the resort. Both are young inexperienced drivers not wanting to drive abroad. The other option is that I could meet them at the airport and drive the hire car myself and my wife drive our 4x4 up to the resort but I was wandering if there are other options such as the train or maybe a coach. And changing the flights isn't an option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a compromise you could get them to make their way to a train station near Montgenevre and then once you've dropped your party of, pick them up ? The nearest is Briancon or Modane (which would necessitate a trip through the Frejus tunnel so not ideal). They might be able to get to Oulx by train but the timetable doesn't appear to be available at the moment. Look on bahn.de to get the train times. Modane (20 km away) is about a 4hr train journey with 3 changes. Briancon is at least 7 hours with at least 4 changes so not really an option. The problem is mainly that Turin is really the gateway for these resorts rather than Geneva but as you said you can't change the flights.

Good luck with whatever option you select
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Might be cheaper to get a flight from Geneva to Turin, then transfer from there, or even coach transfer (yes they do exist) Geneva to Turin, then transfer from there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did this once in reverse and it was a bit of a mission. By train to Chambery then to Oulx, then bus up to Montgenevre.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
walker2686, yes, it is a bit of a trek. Geneva is not the best choice of airport if you don't want to drive. I think MagSeven's suggestion is probably the best one. If they can get to Modane, no reason why they couldn't get to Oulx, and you could collect them from there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does he have to go to Geneva? Couldn't he go to Grenoble?
If he can't he could take a train from Geneva airport to Grenoble (2 hours) and a bus from there to Briancon. I think there are buses from there for the last 8 miles (or a taxi if the timings are bad).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unfortunately flights already booked and can't cancel them...

Thanks for all the help and info. We've now booked train tickets with TGV-Europe from Geneva to Oulx where I'll pick them up. Luckily they fit in with the flight times and only 127 Euros for 2 people return! Now hopefully my headache will go away! Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
walker2686, Well done snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy