Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First piste deaths of the season

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday wasn't a good day for Vail Resorts

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19367173

I'd guess an unfortunate reminder that you might not be on top of your gamne first few runs.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And the debate about helmets will crop up again, I'm sure, but as the report indicates both were wearing lids, it goes to show that whilst they have their place in safety, they're not the be all and end all. Very sad story.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jocrad,

Agreed as many think safety can be bought if you have a helmet.

The first one went over an embankment in Vail and the other one ran into a tree in Breckenridge.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've said this before and I will say it again, all the safety features and gimmicks in the world will do you no good if you are out of control, most accidents on the piste occur when someone looses control of their situation, now that doesn't have to mean they are going down the slope in an out of control manner, it could simply mean their lack of experience in say skiing in a whiteout causes them to go over a cliff. Until you are comfortable going down any slope in any weather you still have things to learn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RIP to those who lost their lives, and condolences to their families.

Can we show a bit more tact than turning this into a flipping helmet debate? We have no idea how the accidents happen. Let's be a bit more respectful...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah,

I think the SH here were surprised by both victims wearing helmets.

I skied both Vail and Breckenridge but could not recall any dangerous cliff or embankment myself as vail looks quite harmless. I was surprised by some of the Vail's black runs as a few of them were just a forest erected with a red tape to stop visitor from entering into it. The run was a broken section of the red tape with a tiny sign telling the user of the name of the run.

Breckenridge does have some areas reserved for "extreme" skiing. Trees do feature prominently in both resorts but they are normally in between runs for skiers and boarders to get extra fun by going through them. The trees are quite dense and it is impossible to do high speed inside. Some black runs are not steep but populated with trees so users going into them would need skill and able to do turns quickly.

Their untimely deaths also serve warning to visitors using the same facilities. I thought fatbob's advice is spot on as everyone should be careful with the start of the season and give some allowance with the first few runs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was on a lift in Breck some years ago and saw what I presume was a family skiing down a piste (probably a red) that ran under the lift . It was practically first run of the day and there were icy patches in the shade. There was just such a shaded patch as the run cut a narrowed gap though some trees under the lift line.

Dad looked a pretty competent skier and was skiing fast, Mum and the teenage kids (boy and a girl I think) following. They were wooping and obviously having fun but were clearly a bit outside their ability. I remember thinking "that's going to end in tears" just as Dad hit the icy patch but had the skill to turn and miss the trees. The scream as daughter hit the ice and the thud as she hit the tree I still remember very clearly, as well as the screams from Mum for Dad to help.

I can only hope it wasn't as serious as it sounded as I never saw what happened because of the trees in the way. I alerted the lifties once I got to the top of the lift and hope all ended well.

But I still remember the horrible combination of thinking how out of control they looked followed by the scream and sickening thud.

Be careful out there folks - as the saying goes "Trees always win" Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is possible the American resorts may have a problem with the trees especially underneath the chairlift routes. I have seen skiers in every resort have piste users skiing along the chairlift route. In a European resort this is clearly off piste whereas in North America such area may be counted as inbound and therefore acceptable (or less objectionable). In generally the North American resorts are hot on trees but I don't think this is the case in the European Alps where the runs are well defined and regularly groomed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's no North American "problem" with trees. There is a lot of below tree line skiing and some fantastic tree skiing. However like rocks, buvettes, shepherd's huts, lift towers and piste bashers they will hurt severely if you lose control at "fast" piste speeds and run into them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, The issue may be more that the treeline is 700-800m higher in the Rockies that it is in the alps. So you get more trees, and more trees to hit. Those trees are one of the reasons many of us return to the US and Canada.

Then as you say there is the greater freedom to ski what you can see inside a US ski area boundary knowing it will be patrolled. But I certainly skied treed lift lines in Italy last year.

I'd say the resorts don't have a problem. But people who ski fast and out of control near tress do...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or in other words Fatbob +1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Talk about branching out Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RIP, enjoying what we all do.
Easy to fall but in the wrong place with or without a helmet we are in the hands of God.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Denver Post wrote:
The accident happened just after 10 a.m., on the Gitalong Road, a beginner trail between the Columbine and Bear Tree trails, the resort said..

The Gitalong Road is a "green" cat track that winds down the frontside. It is a short section from the bottom of the "blue" Columbine to the "Blue" Bear tree trail just above Vail village.
I guess most of us have survived moments when being over adventurous but this seems like a benign trail and was desperately bad luck, a tragic accident.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

in the wrong place with or without a helmet we are in the hands of God.
Shocked
Er, no. I prefer to believe that the universe, and our destinies, are governed by a purple squirrel that lives in a big teapot on the far side of the moon. He was the one that took millions of years to gnaw the Alps into the mountain range that we love. The ancient Acorn Writings tell us that he had hoped to get it all done in 7 days but it was just too big a job.....
snow conditions
Going over embankments and hitting trees causing massive internal injuries a helmet probably isn't going to do all that much.

They don't call it the WROD (white ribbon of death) for nothing. Crowds of out of practice people on new gear on artificial snow = sh!tshow.
snow report
The original report has some misleading information. The Gitalong Road could be found in Edwards which is separated by another skiing resort called Beaver Creek in between. Thus the death occurred in the Vail mountain is correct but not in the Vail skiing resort. The Gitalong Road looks like a local recreational facility not what I would call a full blown skiing resort with proper facilities (installed to the regulated standard). It might be one of those popular back country skiing routes.

The Northstar trail in Breckenridge, where the second death reported, is a blue run within the Peak 7 of the skiing resort. This is a conventional skiing run created by cutting a path through a forest.
snow conditions
saikee, Look at the trail map with the aid of the pretty clear description of accident location.
snow report
saikee,
Quote:

The original report has some misleading information. The Gitalong Road could be found in Edwards which is separated by another skiing resort called Beaver Creek in between. Thus the death occurred in the Vail mountain is correct but not in the Vail skiing resort. The Gitalong Road looks like a local recreational facility not what I would call a full blown skiing resort with proper facilities (installed to the regulated standard). It might be one of those popular back country skiing routes.

You seem to be getting confused - Gitalong Road is on Vail mountain, its a longish winding mountain road which is used as an easy way down the mountain( green) much alike a cat track. Shown on Vails piste map - it starts around Mid Vail and ends in Vail village.
latest report
Bones,

Yes your are right. I tried the Gitalong Road from Google after locating Vail skiing resort but none was indicated. The Gitalong Road I could find from the Goole map is in Edwards which is close by.

I have a second look at the Vail piste map and can locate the this cat track named as Gitalong Road. Think I passed it several time myself and the most dangerous part could be the embankment for going down the black runs International and Giant Steps.

If a skier got killed by travelling on a green run and accidentally overstepping into a black run then this risk is everywhere in most resorts. The trees and deep snow are normally able to arrest an accidental overshoot an embankment from a green run.
snow report
More sad news of a fatal accident in Flattach, Austria today, been several accidents in the same resort this week, sounds like the man made snow and just lack of depth making conditions a tad dangerous. http://www.kleinezeitung.at/kaernten/2886281/40-jaehriger-schirennlaeufer-verstarb-nach-sturz.story.
latest report
This was on the Mölltal glacier and it was disabled racer (visually handicapped). He fell during training and landed on a rocky area. They go on to say that the pressure for space on the available pistes has resulted in serious injuries due to falls into the rocky areas around the available pistes. This includes another death last Saturday where a free skier was fatally injured falling into rocks outside the prepared area.

Mölltal was reported as being very rocky by kooky earlier this autumn. Her son and his trainer decided it was too dangerous to train on I believe.
latest report
Zermatt was also really busy today with a few errant skiers and boarders around.

I was on the Furggsattel 6-man chair and just caught the sight of a 'way too fast for his ability' snowboarder smash into a 4/5 year old girl sending her flying with her skis and helmet all coming off. The sight and sound of her mother cradling her limp body sent shivers down my spine.
I skied down 5 minutes later and the little girl was luckily alright although naturally sobbing and very shook up.
ski holidays
Touchguru, <<<shudder>>> Take care yourself.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy