Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Neige

Poster: A snowHead
No.1 daughter is doing a season in Courchevel & She gets a season pass included, can anyone
tell me how to get Carte Neige cover to go with it?
Can it be purchased online?

Puzzled

Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe have a read of the Carte Neige thread? Happy

It's around here somewhere if you do a search.

Bought mine online yesterday, arrived today.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Let me search the forums for you..." wink

www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1652883
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carte Neige is available online, or in Courchevel from either the ESF or the Club de Sport office, can't remember which.

Alternatively she can add season insurance to her pass at the lift ticket office. This will give her the same cover but will be cheaper because a) it is only valid as long as she is using her Courchevel pass and b) it lasts for the duration of the pass, not until next October.

Unless she intends to ski extensively after the season or in resorts not covered by her season pass, I'd recommend going to the ticket office for it - same cover, less cash. Courchevel uses Carré Neige, cover details here: http://www.carreneige.com/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, Serre Che tell us to buy the Carte Neige from ESf with our season passes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, presumably they don't offer the season cover then. We do, and 3Vs did last time I had anything to do with them.

provenjohn, bear in mind that Carte Neige doesn't cover repatriation once you've been in resort more than 31 dys.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, I don't think it is Carré Neige that they offer with lift passes either.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, it's Assur'Glisse - similar thing, same cover, different underwriter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right - please can I ask a question as I have read the big thread and am confused.

Carte Neige - I can buy online and pays for me to get down off the mountain should I be broken into lots of bits but DOESNT cover the resulting medical bills - I would need insurance (cover all of it) or EHIC ( I still have to pay 30%?)

Carre Neige/ ASsur'Glisse - I can also buy online and thats medical costs insurance to cover me whilst skiing?

Is that right?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, Can I confuse you further, it would seem that in some resorts you still have to pay there and then BUT the insurance allows you to claim back your payment AFTER the event.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, Carte Neige cover - broadly speaking yes. Policy in English here: http://www.ffs.fr/pdf/carteneige/FFScn-assurance-11-12-en.pdf I remind everyone again that it ceases to cover repatriation once you have been in resort for more than 31 days.

Boredsurfing, is correct to say that you will be asked to stump up for stuff in advance anyway, though not for piste rescue or first transport.

Carre Neige/Assur'Glisse is linked to your lift pass. I assume you're being supplied with a season pass - if that's so, take it to the ticket office and tell them you want to add insurance to it. No, you can't do that online because they need to see your pass - they'll add the insurance cover to the card chip and give you a receipt which you need to keep. Photocopy it and cary the copy to show to pisteurs if necessary.

Alternatively, you could just get some decent travel insurance and you won't need to bother with any of it. I suggest that as the holder of a UK credit card this is your best bet, you can just bung everything on the card and await repayment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to get a Carte Neige in Courchevel you need to go to the Club de sport in the Forum in 1850 (building with ice rink and shops etc in). Its on the top floor next to Radio Courchevel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard,
Quote:

Boredsurfing, is correct to say that you will be asked to stump up for stuff in advance anyway, though not for piste rescue or first transport.

Very Happy Thought I wouold grab that one for posterity, not a phrase you here often.

I get the impression from the many Carte/Carre neige threads that people think waving the card means they don't have to pay at the time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, they will not have to pay up front for piste rescue or first transport. And that's all.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
provenjohn, Management tells me that our family insurance(covers two of us) through AXA Multisport Assur cost us just €91 last year.
Individuel was €47.
You can top up to do sports over 6000mts, sports mechanics and airborne sports.
This is for 1 year not just the winter season. So covers the summer hiking as well. And it is world wide.

multisportassur.com
ski holidays
Lizzard not being supplied with a pass as not working for anyone! Well one day a week for a property management company but other than that and some contracting for UK job I am free as a bird!

I think I will go with the original plan and stick with a UK insurer. Thank you all for your advice.
latest report
Nadenoodlee, probably very wise. But should you change your mind, you can ask for insurance with the pass when you buy it. Usually about 35€ for the season.
snow conditions
Quote:

they will not have to pay up front for piste rescue or first transport. And that's all.

and for the rest, if I understand correctly, they can wave their Carte Neige all they want but it won't be much use. Not just a case of paying "up front" but paying, period.

After the initial rescue stage you would then have to start waving your EHIC, wouldn't you? And hoping you'd not been taken to one of the private medical facilities which are widespread throughout the Alps.

A guest of ours, with just Carré Neige, was evacuated to Albertville, where she waited round for hours for a neck X ray and, having been given the all clear on that, was transported back - by me - to her accommodation. The piste rescue was covered but she was told she would get a bill for the X ray. Never did, actually, maybe not worth bothering with. She didn't have an EHIC or travel insurance. rolling eyes I've since got a bit bossy with people who expect me to sort things out when they have an accident, and insisted they have travel insurance. I usually also advise them to take the Carré Neige with their ski pass - it's the price of a coffee. It was fortunate she had taken that bit of advice as a very short sledge ride down the mountain from the scene of her crash would have cost several hundred euros.

How much you pay if you DO have UK travel insurance will obviously depend on many things, including your excess.
latest report
pam w, I don't get why the British punter is so uptight about all this. So you have to fork out a wodge of cash up front. So what? Don't you all have about 15 credit cards with stratospheric borrowing limits? Puzzled
snow report
Lizzard, I'm not particularly bothered about cash upfront. The point I was making is that people ought NOT to focus on cash upfront - what they ought to think about is the kind of bill which might not get repaid if they don't have the "right" insurance.

The travel insurance is getting expensive (for long trips/much skiing) and as pre-existing conditions are generally excluded, as we have our own place in France (so no problems if cannot fly for X weeks) and as insurance companies only exist to make money, I am pondering just carrying the risk ourselves. But I would have Carte Neige - can't afford helicopters and even a twisted knee could cost a shedload of money for evacuation if it happened in a distant part of the domaine.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Boredsurfing, they will not have to pay up front for piste rescue or first transport. And that's all.

But is that not dependent upon whether you take the Primo or the Loisirs option?

Whilst the Primo only covers G1, G2, G3 Rescue and G4 Med Transport, the Loisirs option adds (amongst others) G8A Medical Expenses. Now, for "foreigners" this is limited to the same amount as would be entitled under the French Social Security System but it never the less offers some advantages including fronting partial hospital costs within certain parameters.

Now this is all kind of moot as I certainly haven't seen anyone suggesting the Carte be the only cover someone take, but there is no question with the exception of a very few, very expensive UK policies, the Carte does indeed offer a degree of 'top up' assurance not otherwise available in certain situations (And who really wants to be debating whether you are covered with a pisteur or heli pilot at usually the very worst, most dangerous and remote location!)

For seasonnaires, its a pity the repatriation only runs for 31 days, but the other cover remains in force for the duration.

I certainly feel a little more comfortable with the Carte and my Annual policy and hopefully thats not a false sense of security Confused
snow conditions
without Carte Neige

Lie on slope whilst piste patrol make phone calls to your credit card / insurance company to see if you can afford to be moved

with Carte Neige

Bagged up and transported

without Carte Neige

Lie in body bag at bottom of piste whilst ambulance / helicopter crew make phone calls to your credit card / insurance company see if you can afford to be moved

with Carte Neige

Already on he way to treatment / hospital

you pays yer money and takes yer pick
ski holidays
Lizzard,
Quote:

Don't you all have about 15 credit cards with stratospheric borrowing limits?

Not any more! I had a credit card with a 7k credit limit that I rarely used, out of the blue i got a letter saying as I rarely used the card they were reducing the limit to £1000.
But my Nationwide credit card which I use when in France recently allowed me to double it's credit limit on line.
snow report
jean claude mont blanc wrote:
without Carte Neige

Lie on slope whilst piste patrol make phone calls to your credit card / insurance company to see if you can afford to be moved

with Carte Neige

without Carte Neige

Lie in body bag at bottom of piste whilst ambulance / helicopter crew make phone calls to your credit card / insurance company see if you can afford to be moved

with Carte Neige

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
jean claude mont blanc wrote:
without Carte Neige

with Carte Neige

without Carte Neige

with Carte Neige

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
jean claude mont blanc, unmitigated garbage. Or are you seriously telling us your secouristes would leave a skier on the hill if they thought he didn't have insurance? Ours certainly wouldn't, and given that failure to render assistance is a criminal offence, I suggest it wouldn't happen in any other resort either. Now go away and stop being such a tosser. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Just a minor point, I looked at the AXA policy last year as I think it's got generally broader coverage than the CN, but it wouldn't cover me (I asked specifically) for the Inferno.
ski holidays
oh dear oh dear touched on a raw nerve ? Nice to see you can express yourself in such an articulate and reasoned manner
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
jean claude mont blanc, unmitigated garbage. Or are you seriously telling us your secouristes would leave a skier on the hill if they thought he didn't have insurance?
Some time ago there was a thread which detailed someone's experience in Val Thorens where the piste patrol would not accept a credit card payment, only cash. IIRC they demanded that a friend of the injured person head to the local cashpoint, keeping skis as security in case the injured person 'ran off' (with, IIRC, their dislocated shoulder).
snow conditions
rob@rar, 2005!! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=88945&
snow report
Boredsurfing, you're a bit of a whiz with the search function!
latest report
rob@rar, whats more frightning is thats 6 years ago and I can remember reading the thread!
snow report
rob@rar, I didn't believe a word of it then and I don't now either.
snow report
Lizzard, you might well be right, but insurance is about covering those unforeseen incidents, surely? I've been with people who have been carted off the hill with and without Carte/Carre Neige. The process seems a whole lot simpler with it. If I'm lying on the snow feeling sorry for myself I don't want to be worrying about negotiating medevac payment, so for less than the price of a cup of coffee per day (way less in my case given the cost of the annual policy) I'm happy to be over-insured.
latest report
Thanks for the replies Smile Looks like She has to buy it in the resort then? I can'e see any easy way to buy it online Puzzled
Trouble is, I wanted to sort it for her as I expect She will forget or spend the money on drinks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
provenjohn, if she's that half-soaked, the Carte Neige might be the least of your worries. Twisted Evil provided you have made it clear that any resources you have to provide in the event she is uninsured and is injured will be loans (at a zero REAL rate of interest), you've done your bit as a responsible parent. Neither heartless nor mollycoddling. wink
ski holidays
One other thing to bear in mind is that most trip insurance has a maximum period you can be away for, worth checking before relying on it to pay medical bills or repatriation.

Interestingly the country you are in can also make a big difference, the Swiss (at least in Wengen) will evacuate you off the mountain and take you for treatment using the most appropriate method, that might mean a helicopter to the hospital or a sled and a taxi to the doctors, the bill will be submitted for payment later, if you have suitable insurance and end up in hospital the chances are that you will never get a bill personally they will sort it direct with the insurers, in addition if you work for a Swiss hotel they seem to be obliged to include medical cover as part of your wages, of course if you work for a uk company I really doubt they will do this
snow report
Quote:

If I'm lying on the snow feeling sorry for myself I don't want to be worrying about negotiating medevac payment, so for less than the price of a cup of coffee per day (way less in my case given the cost of the annual policy) I'm happy to be over-insured.

My point exactly watched a friend with fractured ankle go through the credit card phone call insurance hoops whilst on stretcher on the piste and the same performance at the bottom of slope for an ambulance.Unwanted delay and pain . For the reptile types this was in 2006 in Grand Bornand he had no carte neige

Another friend spiral fractured of right leg in Vaujany 2008 with carte neige , no questions asked straight off the slopes into a jellyclopter and off to hospital .

it just saves time and hassle when you are hurting
snow report
provenjohn, who is she working for and does the company provide insurance? Suggest you ask them for a copy of the policy document - that way you'll know exactly how well she's covered, may gve you a bit more peace of mind.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
provenjohn, who is she working for and does the company provide insurance? Suggest you ask them for a copy of the policy document - that way you'll know exactly how well she's covered, may gve you a bit more peace of mind.

Esprit, fairly good cover really but I can't see that it includes being carted off the mountain, She
obviously has EHIC card as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy