Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much does snow manufacturing cost?

Poster: A snowHead
Quite a few places seem to be running their snow cannons at the moment, but there's quite an obvious risk that there'll be a temperature hike, and melt everything that's been produced. So getting the timing right must be quite a nervy bit of gambling for the resort management. How much does it actually cost to - say - fill an entire 1km of average width blue run?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure there's no simple answer. Think about the capital cost in infrastructure, employee cost and running cost. Then on the over side of the equation what's the return? To turn on the snow machines with the risk of warmer weather is probably a risk worth taking if it means you can open your resort on time or before the competition and gets a base down to keep open longer in the spring. The running cost for giving it a go for a few days is probably small compared to the capital cost and other ongoing cost like employees that are sitting around waiting for snow. Here in Schaldming they had snow machines running for a few days back in early october, this wasn't a test but an attempt to open some piste. That initial attempt was all melted away but two weeks later another cold snap and up started the machines. This time they got one piste complete and have managed to keep it open ever since despite some double digit warm days. This provides some good marketing because now they can say they are open, which is a bit cheeky given it's one small run. And of course we have a some skiing possibilities. On a positive note the, despite a temp inversion, Very Happy it was cold enough last night to get snow making working top to bottom.

From browsing the Planai.at website (local schladming lift company) from there annual report

http://www.planai.at/winter/de/unternehmen/Geschaeftsbericht.html

"Allein im Winter 2009/10 wurden um rd. 880.000 m³ mehr Schnee produziert, was
sich mit über 2,0 Mio. Euro an Mehrkosten niederschlug."

from google translate (i've only jut started my german lessons!)
"Only in the winter 2009/10, at approx. 880 000 m³ produces more snow, which
was reflected with over 2.0 million euros in additional costs."

That's 2.27 euros per m3

There's some info also on the website about snow making and management in english
http://www.planai.at/winter/en/company/Artificial_Snowfall.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Walked past some signs near the lake at the summit of Reiteralm this summer which said it cost about 3 euros to produce 1 cubic metre of snow. And it required a cubic metre of water to produce 2.3 cubic metres of snow. The latter perhaps being relevant in terms of the capacity of the reservoirs.     
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos, good answer, cheers.

2m EUR is 10,000 lift passes. I bet the accountants get a bit fidgety!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Power and water consumption across the Alps and pre alps must be enormous right now Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Exactly what I was thinking, and why I posed the question.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The local Tignes newspaper quoted 'running costs' of one euro per cubic metre last year
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would imagine there are a lot of variations on cost

Infrastructure, laying water pipes, connections and power cables all over the slopes is not going to be cheap but will probably have similar costs all over europe, however the supply ponds seem to vary a lot in size

Where you get the water and power from will also have a significant effect, if you are lucky enough to have access to a steady supply of glacial melt water from higher up it will cost you less than pumping treated water up from the valley floor.

Interesting to note the amount of water required, for snow that falls from the sky I usually get roughly 1cm of snow per 1mm of predicted rain i.e 10:1 the significantly lower ratio with artificial snow probably explains why such snow is so much harder when it freezes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, the same thought about the ratio of water to artificial snow had occurred to me.

Incidentally this is from a Swiss study based on the Davos area:

"In Davos, snowmaking represents approximately 0.5% of the entire energy consumption in the respective community. Housing in the community of Davos, for instance, requires 32.5% of the entire energy budget.

The water consumption for snow making can be considerable and can comprise 20 – 35 % of the amount of the regional water consumption."

Which suggests water consumption is the real issue.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But of course the water is never actually consumed, as it all melts in the spring and ends up back in the rivers/groundwater.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW wrote:
But of course the water is never actually consumed, as it all melts in the spring and ends up back in the rivers/groundwater.
Not so sure about that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen, So where do you think it goes?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A good deal goes through evaporation.

The other point is that the amount of water "consumed" by snow making over a given period can create a struggle for resources when for example the overall reservoir levels are low which they often are when resorts look to manage dry periods by using artificial snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manufactured snow is essentially rubbish. It has its place in filling in critical high wear and tear areas (& of course in snow domes) but I'd rather not go on a holiday where I knew all that was going to be skiable would be WRODs (& save the vacation days).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Manufactured snow is essentially rubbish. It has its place in filling in critical high wear and tear areas (& of course in snow domes) but I'd rather not go on a holiday where I knew all that was going to be skiable would be WRODs (& save the vacation days).

Manufactured snow has its place. Imagine if you will that you have booked a trip (in advance) and there is very little snow (last year). Would you really begrudge the manufactured snow once you are in resort?!?! look at those people who have booked opening week trips to a resort this year?

Also I figure all the fake crud they are throwing about will make a nice base for the real stuff on top!
snow conditions
edit: non-relevant post.. don't mind me.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 20-11-11 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Very. But with respect, what does it have to do with the cost of manufacturing artificial snow?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy