Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx - Ibiza of the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Sauze d'Oulx for New Year (staying at the Hotel Relais des Alpes) and have heard some horror stories (Ibiza of the Alps etc) and was wondering what the truth is?

Grateful for any (good) stories!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cant knock Ibiza!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Ibiza of the Alps etc

No idea what Sauze is like, but that's probably come from someone who hasn't been to Ibiza, or who has only been to one street in the West End of San Antonio, or who has seen "Ibiza Uncovered" on TV.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went with a group of blokes (12 in total) to Sauze last year (mid february). We are all in our late thirties early forties and a couple of the guys stayed at the Hotel relais. First and foremost the snow was outstanding and skiing was in top notch conditions.

We had heard it was a big party town with good lively apres which wasn't really top of our list of priorities but we all like a party early doors and then reasonably early to bed so as not to spoil the skiing next day.

We couldn't believe how quiet it was. Half of the apartments were boarded up and empty. Bars were rarely busy after 8pm. It certainly didn't have the atmosphere of Austrian apres! Definitely not the party town it perhaps once was. Whether this was due to recession I don't know.

We had a great trip, plenty of fun and laughs, few good happy hours but never saw anything raucus or anything like behaviour we would consider rowdy. If anything it was too quiet in the main and lacked any real atmosphere
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's reassuring guys, thanks!

Now to track down some off piste!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I only played around with a few bits of off piste as I am generally happier on the bashed track but some of my mates are gnarly powder monsters. They found enough really good powder to spend about 5 hours a day smashing around it. I must stress I think we had an exceptional record of fresh overnight snow evry single night. The Bowl between Sauze and Sestriere was off piste heaven and there are great red pistes in and amongst it.

I'll have a look at the piste map in a mo and come up with a bit more detail for you if you like.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That'd be awesome, it'd be good to have a few ideas to hit on day one! Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
huddy, Taking the Clotes lift up there is quite a bit of tree lined off piste back down into resort and Sportinia. Up from Rocca to Triplex opens up a bit and there was loads of powder back down into Sportinia the bottom half is tree lined and also you've got the snow park. Over the other side from Triplex is a large bowl and that has loads of off piste all around it with great open views of the valley and some nice runs on reds if you fancy that as well.

Down the other side into San Sicario is more of the same. We did one run down that is marked as a blue into Sestriere from the Gondola station. The powder was good fun there but the blue run was terrible and we even had to walk for about 400 meters as it completely levels out so be mindful of that. That blue is down to the left of the Setriere bound gondola. I didnt personally go on over beyond Sestriere to Claviere or Montgenevre but some of the group did and I think they found it all good.

In general we found loads of greatt places to play around in just off the beaten track and vast expanses of proper off piste for those of us good enough to ride it. (that didnt include me Embarassed )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brilliant, thanks! I'll let you know how we get on! Fingers crossed for snow...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hope you enjoy it, I'm sure you will
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heard this "Ibiza" thing a few times in relation to Sauze. All I can say is that if the nightlife in Ibiza revolves around one small Irish bar that's not particulary good then the description is spot on! If however that is nothing like Ibiza then take no notice of this ridiculous statement. You'll be in bed by 10!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The skiing I must add is very good. Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it had a reputation in the late 80s , a bit like Soll, but has now been overtaken by Ischgl, Saalbach and Soelden which actually are more like Mallorca (Playa de Palma) than Ibiza.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Historically it was mostly referered to as Lousy Sauze or as the Benidorm of the alps, it certainly never was like Ibiza. I went there for a few days a couple of years back and that was the first revisit since 1976 or thereabouts. Sadly, not a lot had changed. Very chavvy, large groups of single blokes looking for some action, and getting it because I did see a punch up outside that Irish bar. It's a shame because the old part of town is really very charming and the ski terrain is huge. Austria does nightlife better though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got to admit we went in 1985 because we were 20 years old and the travel shop told us it was night life resort of skiing
again we were sadly dissapointed, with both the night life and lack of early season snow at village level
ski holidays
Went there 3-4 times in mid to late nineties both in mixed groups and as a bunch of lads. I really enjoyed the place actually, firstly you gotta love Italy, the skiing was good for intermediates (as we were then) and the craic was mighty!!

One night in particular I remember 20+ of us skiing down the street in reasonably heavy snowfall from the pub to the restaurant at around 11pm, with Italian motorists looking at us curiously.... ah yes,my mis spent youth, can I do it all again please!?!

enjoy!!
ski holidays
i do have a fond memory of a late night pizza takeaway outlet about half way down the hill
run by a non english speaking guy who was the spit of Ian Rush
as he took the Pizza out the oven he would wave his shuvel at you
if you nodded he wapped the Pizza with it and you got it folded in two.
ski holidays
Quote:

if you nodded he wapped the Pizza with it and you got it folded in two
Sounds incredible Toofy Grin ! We came across a late-night fresh milk vending machine in Flachau last year. Happy days.... Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy