Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

intermediate --> advanced level ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been looking up some reviews and you hear a lot of people say intermediate level skis develop chatter at higher speeds and are not for aggressive skiers.
What exactly constitutes aggressive / advanced skiers especially for ON PISTE skiing?
Been looking at some Nordica Hot Rods CA as well as Fischer RX, I'm assuming those skis will be absolutely fine on moguls, blacks, ice, etc so what's the issue/difference in the levels?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chatter can be caused by a couple of things, generally the stiffness of the tips, or the materials (or lack of) used in construction. If a ski is softer and is put through a carved turn at high speeds then it will flex excessively and break away, making it difficult to maintain the carve. Therefore ON PISTE skiiers who are either heavier or ski faster may prefer a stiffer ski.....this is of course super simple and a huge generalisation, but if theres anything specific you need to know..........
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If we can use this thread to talk about ski chatter at speed - that's be awesome. Of all the topics I've read about skis in the past few weeks, chatter is the least covered and frankly least clear generally. It's seems like an inverse "X factor" ; it's bad, and people can't put their finger on why it happens... People talk about skis (e.g Volkl Mantras) having awesome stability at speed, which I take to mean chatter is rare, but why / what makes that true seems always less clear.

How does sidewall construction / main length construction affect it? Which skis have people used that sucked/rocked for chatter experience? Etc etc. Opinion and fact both welcome, from me at least Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm just wondering what classes as aggressive?
For example, I'm considering the Nordica Hot Rod Igniters but they have a CA (more forgiving) and a Ti (stiffer with metal) version.
How would you class what type of skier you are for the ski? Surely an aggressive skier can ski the CAs as well?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just bought some head ispeed skis to compliment my Scott Missions. I didnt really do any research but a mate of mine (whose an instructor in Verbs) told me that I'd love them as they were like the Stocklis I skied on in April. Hoping for no chatter.

How to class what is an aggressive skier - go to somewhere where the average skiers are all decent good skiers - Val, Whistler, Verbs, St Anton etc. If you are faster than most on decent red/blacks and in controll then guess you are an agressive skier. Skiing is a "mind" sport though - some days I feel like an Ibex but others I feel like a timid marmot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morrissey Unless those are the worldcup ispeeds and not the regular ones, you may be disappointed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, If you 'attack the mountain' you are skiing agressively. It's as much a mindset as a style IMV - if you go out with a very positive focused mentality really working the skis and the terrain to get the best performance out of them, you're skiing aggressively. The Ti skis with metla will be higher performance - stiffer, will grip better etc, but will need more input to get the most out of them. The other ones will be more forgiving when cruising around, but will ultimately have less to give when skiing hard.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiRider wrote:
Morrissey Unless those are the worldcup ispeeds and not the regular ones, you may be disappointed.

Sitting in my office, lightning turn around to look over my right shoulder at my skis propped against the wall reveals they are indeed Worldcup version. Phew.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had skis chatter on me before, and it is a slightly odd feeling that isn't particularly nice. I did it by using some fairly soft, fairly long skis, that when we really hammered it down a firm piste started to chatter quite a lot. It meant that I couldn't ski as fast as I wanted, and when I did I had to concentrate a lot more on controlling the ski.

I don't really know what causes it, but it is definitely to be avoided.

I have also skied on skis which did not chatter at all, however they weren't as stable at speed as the skis I have now. That, I think, is related to the resistance to twisting in the ski - the other skis may have been able to twist a bit, which may be a factor, and they were also a bit shorter, which made them a bit less stable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy