Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Rhone Valley - to toll or not to toll?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am trying to put together our annual Christmas/New Year trip to Villars, Switzerland and need to cost up for 4 driving down. The only sticking point is whether or not tolls are worth paying if you are driving overnight?

As a non-toll route we are planning on taking the DFDS Ferry from Dover to Dunkerque, then driving Mons, Charleroi, Luxembourg, Metz, Strasbourg, Basle. The alternative would be Calais-Dover and then either the route above or going the normal toll route in by Geneva.

Route planners tell me that there is very little difference on driving time between the two.

Sadly economy is key on this trip and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plug your options into viamichelin.com - it will give you times, toll costs and estimated fuel cost
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help you with toll versus non as have always bitten the bullet and paid the toll. After 12 hours driving an extra hour of my time is worth quite a lot to me!

However whichever you decide, do consider the route Besancon, Pontarlier, Lausanne rather than the "normal" route via geneva. It's good road, as quick as the motorway but no tolls. Only risk is its quite high if there's snow falling. seems to get cleared very quickly though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shaky wrote:

As a non-toll route we are planning on taking the DFDS Ferry from Dover to Dunkerque, then driving Mons, Charleroi, Luxembourg, Metz, Strasbourg, Basle.

That's toll between Metz and Strasbourg (and down to Basle if you stay in France).

To avoid the toll, head south from Metz, though Nancy and Epinal and over the Vosges. It's a nice scenic route and with *very* little traffic, but not advised if it is snowing.

And just after you cross from Belguim into Luxembourg, fill up with fuel at the Aire du Capellen - fuel prices are the same all across of Luxembourg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shaky, Metz to Strasbourg will cost around 20 to 30 Euro (24 the last time I went that way which was about 3 years ago). The alternatives are to do as RobW says, but the route is very bad in winter. Or you can go across to the A5 Rhine Valley autobahn. But there are massive road improvements being introduced and that can lead to quite long delays.

I would bite the bullet and take the Metz - Strasbourg route. It is an easy, but boring drive. The Pèage stops actually served to break up the monotony of the drive to be honest. If you carry on down to Colmar on the fast dual carriageway, I think you will miss most if not all the nasty road improvement road works on the A5.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I'd go Calais to Strasbourg via toll then cross river at Strasbourg and go to Basel on German side this beats finding your way through Basel avoiding trams and so on every time wink

Avoid the Vosges route if the weather is at all cold, I trashed my first car coming down from there towards Basel, it had been a lovely sunny day and we were going down from the high area just as the sun went down, the water was running down the road one minute and black ice the next, went round the third from last hairpin bend and kept spinning... Shocked Not nice Mind you the plus side was the nice new car from the insurance people as the old one was less than a year old Razz
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok - a long time lurker's first post:

We do a similar drive a few times a year, but after a few years fine tuning, we don't do it like that!

We travel with two adults and two (teenage) children and find that:
- It is worth travelling on the autoroute because of fewer stop/ start junctions & roundabouts (so the non drivers can actually sleep)
- We change drivers every 2 hours which allows the non driver to sleep (ear plugs, neck pillow, eye shade useful)
- A toll transponder saves waking up the passenger to pick up ticket or pay is well worth the "2 Euro per month used in France" surcharge (you just drive at about 30mph through the lanes on the left marked with the orange chevrons and the toll barrier magically lifts just before you crash into it). At Easter last year it cost £90 return in French tolls to do the route below (including the 2 Euro surcharge), but you also need to add a Swiss motorway permit on top. If you translate from the French pages here https://www.telepeagepourtous.fr/fr/particulier/souscrire then it's much cheaper than using the English website and they will bill directly to your English VISA card at the end of each month used.

What works for us:
- Eurotunnel Folkestone to Calais (fast, frequent and payable with your Tesco points so it doesn't feel that it costs so much...)
- At Calais go to the Cite Europe shopping centre, because underneath the large car park is a 24 hour self-service petrol/ diesel station which takes both Visa & Mastercard in the pumps. This is the cheapest fuel top up point for miles around that we know of.
- Calais to Dijon - 5 hours 356 miles (we change driver every 2 hours)
- At Dijon top up with fuel (because Swiss fuel is expensive), there is a L'Eclerc close to the Dijon South autoroute junction which also allows you to fill up with food and wine if self catering
- Then a slightly slower speed but far prettier section to cross the border - 4 hours 43miles French motorway; 48 miles A roads; then about 70 miles of Swiss motorway - avoid if lots of fresh snow but you avoid the Besancon lorries grinding across that border route (in fact you avoid loads of traffic).
Saint-Lothian
Vaux-sur-Poligny
Foret Les Nans
Saint-Antoine
Pontarlier (Swiss border)
Lausanne

(I've got the Lattitude/Longitude coordinates if you want them for the above route) - although it's largely leave the autoroute at juntion 9 and head towards Pontarlier - Google maps will show you the way!

If it's snowing heavily then Dijon -> Geneva -> Montreux is the safe and generally snowploughed route, although I find the Swiss driving a bit of a shock after getting used to the French.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you just drive at about 30mph

I'd strongly recommend 30 kph wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shaky, ...it's a route I have done hundreds of times since we have a family home in the Rhone Valley. You can use Route Nationale through France if you choose and it will add about 3-4 hours to your journey and save around 60-80gbp in tolls.

You will need a Vignette for Switzerland and the customs may 'strongly encourage' you to get one at the Jougne crossing. try googling uk climbing you might be able to get a vignette on there.

TOP TIP - go via Besancon - but on the autoroute approach to Lausanne follow signs to "Brig/Simplon" otherwise you will do a huge loop that you do need to do, into Lausanne.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, I agree with you about the scenic route in the Vosges. I lived for 2 years and 3 wonderful winters in Strasbourg and we avoided that side like the plague in winter except to drive over to La Bresse for skiing during the week or at weekends when we were not in the Alps! We would perhaps risk Gerardmer but no further Laughing After that - here be dragons as the say (especially in winter wink )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now to discuss winter tyres and snow chains...

I'll get me coat.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my two overnight trips were plagued with fog. driving 300 miles in freezing fog is not a pleasant experience so my advice would be, any inclement weather, stick to the peage, especially at night.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

my two overnight trips were plagued with fog. driving 300 miles in freezing fog is not a pleasant experience

I've had fog problems sometimes - the worst at about 4 pm, approaching Dijon. Just stopped and stayed the night, exploring a spooky and very cold Dijon. In heavy fog, at any time of the day or night, I try to get off the road. But if you absolutely have to drive on, and run the much higher risk of collision, I think most people feel that motorways are the most dangerous roads, because drivers can - and do - travel at daft speeds even though they can't see the end of their stopping distance. Shocked I've been passed, doing about 45 mph, watching very careful that I can still see two of those long white flashes, by vehicles doing 70 - then it's time to get off the road.

At sea, in fog, get into shallow water where a super tanker or car ferry can't mow you down. On the road, get off the motorway.

One of our coach journeys was very foggy; it was a nasty night. The drivers (Ski Olympic) were good, very steady and lowish speed, but we passed a number of accidents, illuminated by blues and twos, orange arc lights, and wreckage all over the road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Petrol is a bit cheaper in Switzerland than France, has been for years and years (probably the only thing that is these days!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Saint-Lothian
Vaux-sur-Poligny
Foret Les Nans
Saint-Antoine
Pontarlier (Swiss border)
Lausanne

oui4ski, What road number/s is that please? Presumably not the E23-N57 through the delightfully named "Nods"?

And shaky, I would go the autoroute through France to Besancon and then over the hills to Lausanne, I have never tried the northern route but it looks a very long way round to me. We reckon on 10 hours Calais to Champouissin, which is across the Valley from Villars so probably about the same. That's making just the minimum stops for fuel/tolls/pee/driver changeover.
latest report
rungsp wrote:
Petrol is a bit cheaper in Switzerland than France, has been for years and years (probably the only thing that is these days!)

Ah - fair enough - we've used diesel for many years, so I don't pay so much attention to the petrol prices !
snow report
South of Dijon leave A39 at exit 7
A391 then N5 passing to the south of Poligny & Vaux-sur-Poligny
In Pont de Gratteroche turn left onto the D21
Then D471 around Onglieres
Then N57 to the border
Then first left to the A9 Swiss motorway
ski holidays
Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

We have driven the Dijon/Geneva/Lausanne route for the last two years and fully understand the benefits of the toll routes. However, when we looked at the journey times on viamichelin/google we saw that they were the same for the Geneva route as for the toll-minimising route via Strasbourg. Without having driven the non-toll options, particularly overnight which is our plan, it is impossible for me to gauge whether the trip can be done in 10 hours overnight.

Is this a likely time or is the reality that there will still be commercial traffic etc that will slow us down? We will be leaving Calais around 9pm if it helps.

There are 4 of us, late 20s, who can share the driving and realistically none of us are too fussed about the comfort or sleep. It really is a trade off between time and cost with logistics dictatating that we have to travel overnight.
snow report
Chris, from general experience of driving in France particularly, usually having left the autoroute to avoid jams, I found that using the "routes nationales" does take longer, the limits are lower, there are junctions and roundabouts, towns to pass through, and while local traffic should be light in the night, these other factors will still apply.

I don't know how viamichelin come up with their journey times but I find them generally on the optimistic side

Also from my experience if everyone else in the car is asleep it is easy to take a wrong turn with no navigator Sad

Hopefully someone will have specific experience of the northern route as I would be interested in knowing their view as well

Cheers Tim
ski holidays
Using the Autoroute I've gone from Christchurch in Dorset to Lauterbrunnen Switzerland in 13.5 hours of driving not including eurotunnel time

That was keeping dead on the speed limit for most of the route in good weather with much of the route in daylight, think it would have been a tiny bit quicker if I'd been able to swap driving more often but not by much, had minimal stops for toilet/fuel and customs breaks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy