Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing back to Glenmore

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I read somewhere recently (on a forum discussing proposed ski-lifts) that a number of Scotland skiers had descended all the way from the mountain top to Glenmore.
Is there any one here who can advise approximately what the route down is? We were baffled last year simply trying to find a route from the Ciste to the car park: but i'm willing to try again this year.

Any help??

Thx,

Iain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try looking on/or asking on winterhighland.info. There have been posts about skiing down to Glenmore, but it requires significant snow down to a low level, which is not all that frequent an occurence.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strax, I haven't done it myself but should think you would have to go down Coire na Ciste and Ciste gully, there is a stream all the way down that you could follow. That winter you could also ski down Coire Laogh Mor the next Coire along something no one could remember doing before and it might have been done that way. There really was an exceptional amount of snow in 2010 I would love to see it happen again.
Check out http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/ as I think this was some of the people that did it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strax, I've skied it both last season and the one before. Conditions to make it possible are unusual. The route I took was from the Cas carpark - definitely not the Ciste! It basically follows the walking path that comes up from Glenmore to the Cas. The line starts from the bottom of the Cas car park and stays skiers' right of the stream. Initially it's fairly easy to follow however as the terrain steepens a bit around halfway down it's tricky (and even has a potential terrain trap!) unless you're confident of your route finding. Similarly finding your way through the very gentle ground through the forest further down does rely on you having an idea of where you're going. To be honest unless you have walked the line in summer I would suggest keeping clear. Towards the end of it you will almost certainly end up walking along the road for about a mile to reach the Hayfield (unless you are lucky and hitch a lift back up).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strax, I've skied to Glenmore from the top of Cairngorm. Unfortunately I can't help with the route planning problem... I was about 10 or so and just followed my Dad Smile Though I remember we went across the top of Coire Laogh Mor and the next one along (is that Coire Laogh Beag?). I know for sure we didn't follow the path that motatapu, took. We ended up arriving through the forest at the back of Glenmore Lodge. Hmm... That doesn't really help you, does it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Hmm... That doesn't really help you, does it?

It should, because a quick look at the map suggests a couple of possible routes that might be skiable from your description that would come in at the back of Glenmore Lodge. I'd probably want to to take a good look from the bottom at snow lie and check out the forest trails for snow cover. If there is decent snow in the forest it would probably be worth checking which trails had been pisted at the Glenmore cafe as that might have a bearing on route choice.

I've never tried it, 'cos the cars always been parked at the Cas and I know how hard a ski back up it is as I've done it several times on rollerskis (up the road).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off topic but I managed to ski all the way back to the Kings House from Glencoe one year. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Down the verge on the ski road after the plough's been, doable most years Laughing

Or the allt mor trail as mentioned above, nice to do definitely but not without hazard - tree routes etc.

Would like to explore a few options further east maybe from a tour, back down into ryvoan pass area and back in towards glenmore lodge as SaraJ mentions or down to the green lochain like a couple of guys did last year (coming to a calendar near you soon), although the slopes above there are very steep and covered in loose scree between the trees under the snow.
Main thing is that we get the conditions that will allow us to consider all of this!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry,
Quote:

Down the verge on the ski road after the plough's been, doable most years

Did it on a raleigh Grifter once, slight mishap resulted in 2nd degree burns down the left side of my body Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy