Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

renting clothing in UK or Hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
My buddy who is coming with on our Jan trip has NOTHING and will need to rent clothing (salopettes, gloves, maybe jacket). He has ski equipment already lined up. I see online that there are many places that rent clothing but can anyone recommend a good place that he can get here in the UK (Bristol) or when on the trip in Hinterglemm?
Thanks
Alan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to TK MAXX/Millets, get the whole lot for £40/50 (to keep).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know if he will want to do that if he can rent for slightly cheaper. Although, whether he can rent for cheaper is the question Laughing
He is also from South Africa so not really equipment that can be used back there. If he was the same size as me I would definitely suggest that and I'd buy off him second-hand Razz
The other problem is that he is up for 1 day this weekend (from a work trip) and I can get him to TKMaxx to try some stuff on, but if there is nothing good, the next time he is coming is for the trip. I suppose as long as I can get his size, I can keep and eye out and buy when something comes available.

One more thing..... I see the standard waterproofness on the cheaper stuff is 3000mm. As he is a beginner and will spend some time on the ground, would it be better to spend more (keeping the above predicament in mind) and get something better or do you think the 3000mm would do? I heard that sitting in snow requires 5000mm to be waterproof and kneeling in snow is something like 8000mm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never had any issues with cheap jackets, and my issues (as a beginner) with trousers involved fit and seams splitting rather than waterproofness. My 30 Euro trousers did fine learning to ski in summer on a glacier (very wet at the bottom, where I fell most (every run...), and in winter the only time I've had dampness inside has been due to the entry of snow from marginally too loose trousers/snow skirt (female with proportionally larger bum/thighs than waist, hence trouble with fit. The more expensive trousers I bought (as replacements for a cheap pair that split on the first day!) have no problem with letting water in through anything other than the waist entry. Partly my fault as I HATE braces...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlanB1976, you will not be able to hire any clothing in Hinterglemm. He will however, be able to buy and the prices will match the captive market!

Buy the stuff in the UK and if he never goes again he can flog it off on Flea-bay! TK Maxx, Milletts, Outdoor Leisure, Blacks (are they still around?), Decathalon Aldi, Lidl, all worth going the extra few miles to pick it up as it will not cost anywhere near as much as in resort. If he is from South Africa, he's going to find the cost of clothing in the UK bad enough, when he sees the prices in the resorts, he'll have a heart attack!

Sometimes I really do believe that you are a sock - some of the questions you ask beggar belief to be honest. Are you really such an innocent abroad or just a very plausible wind-up merchant? I really cannot fathom how someone as naive as you has survived to adulthood to be brutally honest. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gee, thanks Samerberg Sue. Some of us are not as great as you, and appreciate a helping hand. And quite frankly, if you can't be nice, I ask that you stay away from my posts.

Firstly, I am not from Europe so have no idea on anything here. You probably don't understand how different things can be in another country. For example, everyone here takes ebay, etc. for granted. In SA, you can't do online ordering as half your stuff goes missing in the post. Plus half the places don't even send to SA cause of that reason.
Then, instead of walking around like a c0ck, I believe in getting as much info as possible and getting things right. And I actually enjoy chatting to people, even if it's something that you think is stupid.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlanB1976,
Quote:

Then, instead of walking around like a c0ck, I believe in getting as much info as possible and getting things right. And I actually enjoy chatting to people, even if it's something that you think is stupid.

+1 for asking the stupid/simple questions. If JPL/NASA had bothered to ask ESA the stupid question they wouldn't have lost the Mars Climate Orbiter. Please keep entertaining us with your posts snowHead

Edit (stupid question - that which people are afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid, but which is often fundamental to the task at hand. Often resulting in assumptions which are disastrous to said task.)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-11-11 23:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Snakeskin Si, It's not such a stupid question though. My friend in South Africa came over for the EoSB in 2007 but all her gear was still in containers from the UK to SA. She didn't want to buy again and I looked into hire and asked on here about it. In the end a kind SH took a spare jacket for her and I bought her a pair of v cheap ski pants (£15) although they weren't very waterproof.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't see what's naive about asking a question regarding the price of rented clothing, or the level of waterproofing recommended for beginner gear. Confused Both perfectly fair questions and I wouldn't mind hearing about the level of waterproofing that people recommend myself - and I live in Europe/have been skiing for years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, ah, great minds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just thought I'd stand up for AlanB1976, met Alan over the weekdend at the Melezes in Tignes. As mentioned above Alan is from South Africa so is just looking for bits and pieces of advice, and really enjoys coming on here for advice so go easy on him - especially as he hurt his ribs over the weekend!

Having said that, I would agree with the others above Alan - surely better to fork out £50 - £75 for guaranteed kit, rather than relying on hiring gear in resort, which isn't actually something I've come across outside of school / group trips. Their are also a number of websites such as outdoormania, ourdoorgearforu, skiwear4less etc that do all in 1 packages, which if your friend is of a similar size, I'm sure you be able to use some of the kit afterwards.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx, oi Laughing ...... I think you misread my post snowHead I'm agreeing that there's no such thing as a stupid question. FWIW AlanB1976s enthusiasm puts a big fat smile on my face. Much prefer that to the cynicism that often occurs round these parts
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snakeskin Si, Sorry, you're right I did misread it (but I see you've edited for clarity wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snakeskin Si, I misread it too. But, as has just been demonstrated on another thread, holidayloverxx and I are both a bit slow on the uptake. wink

AlanB1976, sorry to hear you got hurt. Hope it wasn't too bad and that you're on the road to recovery.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I got a bit nerved and maybe over reacted a bit.

reded78, unfortunately he's a bit wider and shorter rolling eyes . I'll advise him on buying and see what he says.

Thanks for the support Very Happy
latest report
AlanB1976,
Quote:

maybe over reacted a bit.
No you didn't
snow report
AlanB1976, Sorry, I didn't mean to to be rude, I was just wondering, sort of out loud - now I know.

There are a great number of people with sock puppets who delight in asking odd questions! I really do unreservedly apologise for asking straight out, but now I understand your background.

Rental ski clothing is really something I thought had died out in these days of relatively cheap deals in the above-listed shops. It seemed to be fairly unique to the UK market. I used it extensively with my school skiing groups. Ellis Brigham used to do a really good standard of rental clobber of jacket and salopettes, I don't know if they still do.

Is your friend coming to the UK first or are you meeting in Austria? There may be a way of dealing with this if the latter is the case. I will PM you.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, nice post. Chapeau.
ski holidays
Pedantica,+1
ski holidays
I'd say hire, as a one-off, if you can do so for a sensible price. We've hired gear for relatives visiting from the "colonies" and doing just one trip - they got pretty good (Colombia style) gear for a LOT less than buying, from Filarinskis (now in Bosham, West Sussex) but I'm not sure they do it any more. I bought a pair of ex-hire salopettes for £10 which I've now worn for approx 30 weeks skiing.

Beginners don't spend a lot of time sitting on their bottoms in the snow (well, beginners skiers don't - beginner boarders certainly do). In fact it's virtually impossible for anyone other than a very young and supple person to sit on their bottom with ski boots in bindings.

Aldi/TK Maxx or similar would be fine - but it's a bit daft to suggest anyone can kit themselves out completely for £40 - 50, even there.

However, it's often possible to borrow - lots of people have some suitable jackets hanging around, and maybe other gear too. Ask around your neighbours.

Also worth while looking in charity shops - quite frequently seen some stuff there, including cool retro one-piece suits. wink

What size is your mate? SHs might well have some suitable stuff they would be willing to sell for Not a Lot.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I'm now dying to post a VERY random comment over the next few days under an assumed name to see if I can get you / others going. Excellent return post by the way!

AlanB1976, as pam w, says above many people may have some spare gear knocking around that often ends up on Ebay, as well as looking for new stuff from the likes of Tacky MAx or the others mentioned above. Once you know his sizes stick on here, you never know what may be offered.
snow report
pam w wrote:

Beginners don't spend a lot of time sitting on their bottoms in the snow (well, beginners skiers don't - beginner boarders certainly do). In fact it's virtually impossible for anyone other than a very young and supple person to sit on their bottom with ski boots in bindings.

True, but from my relatively recent experience boots aren't necessarily in bindings... Admittedly more of my time on the snow has been on my face or side... Slithering down hill in such postures the waterproofness of trousers is irrelevant - far more relevant is the fit of the snow skirt (or trousers) depending on orientation at the time...

I seem to remember a decent amount of time with one buttock on the ground, skis underneath, trying to work out how to get up on flat ground with both skis on. Eventually worked out that losing one ski made life much easier (on the flat - getting on steeper stuff is much easier (assuming both skis in vague vicinity...))
latest report
Samerberg Sue, ok, no problems. I understand that there are those that do post purely to wind people up. I just got a bit annoyed from basically being called stupid because I didn't know anything about skiing and just cold/snow in general. All in the past now, so done and forgotten (and I'm not joking about that forgotten part with my memory). I think it's also the anonominity of posting on a forum that allows me to postthe really stupid questions that I normally never would Laughing

Quote:

sorry to hear you got hurt. Hope it wasn't too bad and that you're on the road to recovery.

Had the joys of a toe edge when boarding and landed on my camera that was in the jacket pocket (as far as I can work out). It, in turn stuck it's nice hard pointy corner right into a rib. I don't know if it's fractured or just badly bruised. I still can't move properly and groan every time I turn in bed. It's driving the missus mad Laughing

Back to rental.... I'll check with my mate. I would rather buy, but if this is a 1 time thing for him, he might prefer to rent even if it's just a £1 saving. We will see. He is up this Saturday so will see if we come right. If not, I will get his size and see if there is anyone that can lend gear to him (or keep an eye out at TKMaxx). I'll convince him the one-piece is the way to go NehNeh
Thanks for the help
ski holidays
AlanB1976, Google search on 'hire skiwear' turns up a whole pile of results. Cost about £40 to £50 for jacket and pants for a week.
snow report
Nothing wrong in renting kit for a week or so. Did so myself for the 1st ski trip. From a mostly skateboarding shop in Bristol (that did skiing/boarding kit during winter). Really can't remember the name, but I think it was somewhere around Fishponds/Downend/StapleHill area.

edit: it might have been Skate+Ski in staple hill - but the website on gogglemaps goes to an account suspended page Puzzled

But I went straight to S+R (which opened after my 1st ski trip), EB, etc. for kit the following year.
snow conditions
Quote:

Google search on 'hire skiwear' turns up a whole pile of results

Yea. I did see but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for any. I don't know if they are all much the same or if there are those that are noticeably better.

andy, I suppose it comes down to whether he is seeing this as a 1 time trip or maybe something he will do repeatedly. Knowing him, if it's a 1 time thing he will most likely want to rent and not listen to any advise otherwise. If that is the case, I think the only way to get him to change his mind would be for me to take a 5mile run in all my ski gear (so they get super wet and smelly with my sweat) and then say "here, take this rental gear" Razz Laughing
ski holidays
AlanB1976, how big's your mate? there's probably enough snowheads with spare gear around that you could get him sorted. I've certainly got salopettes and a jacket that he can borrow for a January trip (on a "you bend it, you mend it" basis, obviously), but I'm near Manchester not Brizzle, and at 32" waist and 38" chest I might be half the size of your mate
snow report
Quote:

I think the only way to get him to change his mind would be for me to take a 5mile run in all my ski gear (so they get super wet and smelly with my sweat) and then say "here, take this rental gear"

Rental gear wouldn't be dirty or smelly - IME it's been freshly washed for each hirer. The "ex-hire" trousers I bought were immaculate; apart from a few bits right inside the bottoms of the legs which had been slightly damaged by boots, they looked as good as new.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, I think he's more of a 40"+ waist. Thanks for the offer though Very Happy

Once I know what he wants to do and got his sizes, I'll post here to get the best opinion.
ski holidays
pam w, that's good to hear. I always worry about the rental gear not being washed properly
ski holidays
Well, my mate decided to buy trousers, jacket and gloves at TKMaxx. His girly side came out and he was a bit worried that the rented stuff wouldn't fit properly or look good. So, the only stuff he will need is helmet and goggles. Does anyone know if they rent that out at Hinterglemm? Else I will have to organise something here or get Samerberg Sue to drive us to some local shops so he can buy NehNeh
snow report
There's plenty of shops in Saalbach/Hinterglemm, and I'm sure if you ask around there'll be plenty of places hiring lids. Not sure about goggles though...
snow report
Why rent? Just buy it at TKMAXX or on skiwear4less and if you don't like it, sell it on ebay when you get back.
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, he just didn't seem keen on it. You don't have to persuade me. I would have rather bought helmet/goggles as you know there are no scratches on the goggles and the helmet hasn't been weakened through other collisions already. But this aint me Wink
That and he was only up for 1 day and didn't want to spend the entire day at the shops. We needed to get some pub time in. So we only went past TKMaxx and they didn't have helmets/goggles.

I don't think he is shy on money, he just doesn't want to waste it. So we will probably go there and he will end up buying at the resort when he sees how cool I look Laughing
snow report
I have some old goggles if he wants them (1980s style Smile ):

These?
http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Ski_Helmets.html
http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Ski_Goggles.html
snow conditions
lol.... nice goggles

Problem is that he can't try the helmets on beforehand and won't have the time to exchange if it doesn't fit properly. So he could give it a go and order one, and when he arrives in January, hope it fits. If not, he'll have to get a refund and we go on our trip and rent/buy there
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy