Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for gentle, easy pistes to get confidence back

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for long, gentle, super-smooth pistes to bolster the confidence of Mrs L. Mrs L is ready to face skiing again after a few years off (kids, work). She was never a really confident skier but did enjoy pottering on blues.
The plan is for her to have private lessons in the morning and then for the two of us to do a bit of skiing on gentle terrain in the afternoon. I’m not worried about my skiing too much as I will get my kicks later on- I see this more of a family holiday.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been but isn't Cervinia a bit like that? Someone will agree or disagree shortly. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
San Cassiano - Dolomites

Endless fun for you

Try http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Louis, you could try the Espace San Bernardo, its a linked ski area shared between La Rosiere in France and La Thuile in Italy with a single lift pass for both resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfamily2, Cervinia is the obvious answer. The blacks are blue, the reds are flat, and the blues are slightly uphill.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cortina or Corvara
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought the wind always blows in Cervinia and then all the lifts are shut wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with Cervinia, also Alpe D'Huez.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.wordtravels.com/travel-inspiration/europe-ski-resorts-for-beginners
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Louis, Took one wife to Livigno and the next wife to Samoens -Both (resorts) would meet your requirements however the latter has a lot more to offer in terms of grown up aprés ski etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely somewhere in Italy. (Generally) better piste bashing and nicer hot chocolate / coffee.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ivor Shed wrote:
Louis, you could try the Espace San Bernardo, its a linked ski area shared between La Rosiere in France and La Thuile in Italy with a single lift pass for both resorts.
I am going for the 3rd year in a row to La Rosiere (wife for 2nd time). It is a great place to learn and gentle on beginners (like us!!!!). Cannot recommend enough. Be prepared for drag lifts though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Louis,

Have a look at La Plagne, Avoriaz, Alpe d'Huez in France or Soldeu in Andorra.

They all fit your brief and there's almost no drag lifts for her to fight with !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courchevel 1850, the teaching pistes are serviced by cable cars, lovely smooth not too steep and you go past Chalet de Pierres on Verdons piste, always stop at least once!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have skied at the majority of the places suggested above - and would go along with San Cassiano as the best bet. That area has lots of nice easy runs linking up all over the place, and the surroundings are wonderful.
ski holidays
Les Saisies - and I could recommend a super, charming, French instructor (speaks enough English but with sexy accent) for private lessons at 62 euros for two hours. Very pretty place, completely unthreatening, everything half the price of Courchevel and you could find accommodation within a few metres of a piste and the ski school meeting place.
snow conditions
I'd agree that Les Saisies would be ideal. We went there this year. Its a pretty resort with lots of tree lined runs and it was very quiet when we were there in January. There are lots of gentle slopes near the centre of the resort. Once Mrs L got her confidence back she would be able to ski further afield on gentle runs to Crest Voland or move on to the harder slopes in Les Saisies.

I think Les Saisies would be a better option than La Rosiere. La Rosiere itself has suitable runs for Mrs L but you have to ski a red to get over to La Thuile. If your wife just stayed the La Rosiere side I think she might find it all a bit samey. I'd save La Rosiere for 2013.
snow report
Courchevel (1850 or 1550) - had some lovely smooth interesting greens in 1850 itself, and think there were nice blues as well. I just remembered the greens actually being wide, having some gradient and being nice and long (unusual in my limited experience) while the blues were just like blues...
ski holidays
+1 for Courchevel. Lots of very long gentle green/blue runs above 1850 and 1650. And loads of other stuff offering gentle progression. You could base yourself in La Tania or Le Praz (Courchevel 1350) and avoid the worst of Courchevel prices
latest report
Courmayeur is worth a look
snow report
"Gentle easy pistes to get confidence back" and "Courmayeur" definitely don't belong in the same sentence in my experience.

We took some first weekers there on a day trip from La Thuile, and they unanimously hated it because it was all a bit steep for them.
snow report
There is a longish blue in Courmayeur (with a nice mountain restaurant half way down) but overall I'd agree with Paulio that it would not be the best resort for Mrs L (unless she wants to spend half the day shopping in the town Laughing ).
ski holidays
^ +1

Also agree with pam w
latest report
Have a look at Les Gets or Morzine, they worked quite well for mrs Bluebull . Prob easier skiing at Les Gets but we stayed at Morzine as more to do for the grandparents babysitting.
ski holidays
I've been to Le Rosiere and while I liked it for what our group wanted I'd agree it's not hugely suitible as someone mentioned the run down to the loooooonnngggg drag is a red although I think elsewhere it would be a blue. The lift system is bit poor IMO unless you want to do the same few runs over and over and relative to large resorts the blues aren't all that long so perhaps look at some large resorts, I'm thinking Le Plagne or Les Arc. Le Plagne has a run down from the Roche De Mio back to Le Plagne centre and it was one long cruisy blue which was a favourite with the timid skiers in our group. There are many others too.
snow report
Villars, Les Gets or La Rosiere/ La Thuile
snow conditions
I've been to La Rosiere twice, and it's a nice place, but for a range of easy, confidence building pistes and a choice of different aspects, kind of pistes etc (including a good range of tree lined runs) I'd say Les Saisies is considerably better. More variety and - for those wanting to go further afield - a bigger ski area without the linking difficulties there can be getting over to La Thuile.

I have no vested interest in promoting Les Saisies (we don't rent out our apartment), but I do think it fits the bill well. There's a wider choice of piste-side accommodation than in La Rosiere too, should that be important. And more of a village.
snow conditions
Montgenevre may fit the bill
lots on cruisey blues and greens
only slight problem on the Chalvet/tibaud side is the labelled blue back has a 200m narrow steep bit that can get a bit soupy and rutted in afternoon sun
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Cervinia, wide, sunny, long, empty, snowsure blues with lots of nice choccy stops and one of the best-value/good food restaurants in the Alps at Chalet Etoile.

Corvara/San Cassiano in the Dolomites are prettier and have loads of shortish blues amidst spectacular scenery and lots of cosy huts to stop at.

latest report
Personally I would select a resort designed for the beginners and intermediates and "actually" has more easy (green or blue) slopes than the normal red and black runs.

France : Valmorel (next neighbour to 3V)

Italy : Livigno (already mentioned by other SH)
snow report
Don't forget that Cervinia's mountain restaurants have the worst toilets in the world! It's like that bit in Slumdog Millionaire, where the boy tries to get that actor's autograph.
latest report
Well, I think our job here is done. We've covered most of the resorts in the Alps!
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Well, I think our job here is done. We've covered most of the resorts in the Alps!

Indeed, what now Smile

Thanks for all the replies
L
latest report
Go to Cervinia (if it ever snows Laughing ).
snow report
And as long as you don't mind squatting over an open sewer at lunchtime.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy