Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kjus/Schoffel?

Poster: A snowHead
what are your thoughts on these brands? i have some schoffel pants from last year which i remember being really good. i'm in the market for a new ski jacket, and are schoffel any good for this? also, does anyone know if they use gore tex? i looked on the SnR website but it doesnt say they do, but i swear when i was in store it said they did Puzzled

also, what are your thoughts on like Eider/Killy? i've seen quite a nice jacket from both of them which i think i'll end up plonking for in the end. the reason i ask about Kjus is because i just bought their gloves - anyone had any experience with them? they seemed pretty good in the shop, but i'd really expect that for the price.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pdx, Kjus jackets are fantastic, I have one but unfortunately its too big. Only bought for last season (in the sale at end of 09/10 season at Stroltz in Lech, I would not pay full price) wonder if you want to buy it? Its been worn for 10 days skiing total. Its a black Formula mens jacket in size 42 or 44 (Can check if your interested and email me photos if you PM me your email address). My wife and also many of our ski buddies have Kjus jackets and they are absolutely brilliant, very warm, breathable and yes Goretex, or an equivalent. I've skied in rain last year all day and never got wet once, not fun though! Not keen on the pants but the jackets are excellent. Another feature of the jackets are the hidden extras, thin hidden inner hood, detachable hood, glasses wipe, snow skirt etc.

My wife also has Kjus mittens and she says they are very warm, cant go wrong with them IMO. The gloves are wearing well and 3 years old, no cuts or scuffs on the leather palms etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
overpriced gaperwear Evil or Very Mad

on a serious note, goretex isn't the be all and end all. there are other waterproof/breathable membranes/treatments which can be as good or better so don't write kit off just because it doesn't have goretex
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
overpriced gaperwear Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

From the Kjus website "Our style icon and best-known ski jacket - the classic KJUS FORMULA jacket made from Dermizax® EV. The racing stripe look is now re-designed to make you look even faster as you cruise down the slope."
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got Shoeffel pants and ski jacket, and also some walking gear too. Mainly because it's about the most common mid-range brand here. Don't think it's goretex, but has its own trademarked membrane (or one licenced from someone else other than GoreTex TM).
Better than the mix of Columbia and Berghaus that I had before. Needed to go for slightly larger sizes than EU/DIN says I should be though.

PS ditto on the GoreTex point above.
PPS every single GoreTex TM badged item of clothing/footwear that I've owned has eventually leaked, within approximately 1 year. Salomon boots (x3), Berghaus ski jacket, Berghaus pullover rain jacket, ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, Dont know what gaperwear is............... and shoogly, dont cruise down any slopes and it has no stripes, all black so GTF rolling eyes

As is clearly said in my post I bought it in the sale, at the price I paid its much better than an equivalent. Its too big hence the sale, a brilliant jacket.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

every single GoreTex TM badged item of clothing/footwear that I've owned has eventually leaked, within approximately 1 year. Salomon boots (x3), Berghaus ski jacket, Berghaus pullover rain jacket, ...

Andy,

I’m no fan of Gore-Tex but I doubt the actual Gore-Tex fabric was leaking water straight through the fabric (apart from boots – see below). People expect a lot form Gore-Tex, and rightly so as it is pretty expensive, but don’t understand how it works or it’s limitations. It does degrade over time, but not in one year to the extent that it would leak.

The jacket can only “breathe” if the face fabric is dry. As soon as the DWR coating on the face fabric deteriorates the water no longer beads and the fabric “wets out”, the jacket can no longer breathe. That’s why the “Gore-Tex Glove” demonstration means nothing. Gore-Tex is very breathable but it’s sandwiched between 2 other fabrics (if it’s 3 ply as most mountain jackets are” and it dependant on these for breathability. In addition to this, temperature differential make a difference to. What people perceive as leaks is often their sweat.

With respect to gore-tex footwear, gore-tex will wear through pretty quickly in footwear at any point that rubs so could easily be rendered useless in sub 1 year. Your better getting leather boots and treating them.

Gore-Tex has been very well branded/marketed for quite a long time now, they’ve convinced everyone that “waterproof” is essential. As the market is slowly changing from waterproof to water resistant but comfortable they’ll fight tooth and nail to keep market share, hence the rubbish that is Gore Soft Shell/Winstopper.

Remember, the market is full of waterproof membranes, Event, Conduit, NeoShell. Gore-Tex is not the be all and end all (though I shall be buying the missus an new Gore Active Shell jacket, we shall see how that goes).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29, Laughing

All I did was quote their website snowHead

Here's an educational link

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=759800&highlight=gaper#759800
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Eider, much more stylish than schoffel, and for those of you who want to start pooh poohing and saying all that matters is function, and that your 10 year old gloves from carrefour that held together with gaffer tape are fine........

I laugh in your face, if you don't think looking good matters thats all good, as differant things make differant people happy but please don't even start Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even black leather work shoes are being marketed with GoreTex TM now. And a friend was exclaiming a major WTF recently... his 5yr old kids school shoes have Goretex! Now that's surely marketing over function!

Shoes/boots I expect to wear through. Jackets, I expect not to wear through within 1-2 years, at least with the amount I wear them. I'd say it's the seams that come apart. Sure the stitching on the nylon layers may part, but I assumed the PTFE was at least fused? Either way, if it's peeing with rain, you will get wet/damp. In snow... well you're probably safe since wet won't be getting anyway. Unless it's so warm and slushy, in which case the damp will be sweat (unless you fall over a lot).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I love the smell of inverse snobbery in the morning, smells of.... jealousy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had Schöffel gear, for many years now. Great stuff, no probs at all. The Kjus stuff looks OK but the prices are ridiculous. I was looking at a Kjus jacket in Conrad the other day... €800 just for a jacket... you gotta be joking! OTOH all the people who have them swear by them!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang, Looks like you might like my Formula one as above, hardly worn.......PM me if interested. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John, sorry. In a bit of a mischievous mood. found Arno's comment funny and couldn't resist.

snowHead

Do find it amazing though that Kjus jackets are so expensive. They start at £600 and go up to £1,200! Mental. Especially when you can buy an Arc'teryx proshell for 1/2 of the lowest priced Kjus jacket.

How's your injury re-hab coming along?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

found Arno's comment funny and couldn't resist

Havent laughed so much for ages..................I agree at £800 not worth it, at £375 its every bit as good as an Arcteryx shell, does a completely different job. I have a Beta shell and much prefer a layered system in hindsight, another reason for my selling the Kjus. Horses for courses.
snow report
The people complaining that their Goretex kit is leaking need to send it to Goretex - regardless of the brand, if it has Goretex in, it has a lifetime dryness warranty.

Personally I prefer the climbing/mountaineering brands - you get more for your money, performance is better if anything and I prefer the styling, but the Schoeffel uniform I had in St Anton was absolutely brilliant quality (Goretex Pro btw).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-11-11 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I have both a Kjus Formula jacket (black) and pant (orange), and indeed I absolutely love them. They are very warm in the bitter cold, are very comfortable (non restrictive), look great and are packed with function (features), resist rain fairly well, are easy to care for, and are very durable. I only wish there was a more robust inside ankle patch to resist edge knicks more. Bought mine in 08/09.

And my other half have a Kjus jacket from 09/10 that she adores for its warm, style, comfort and functions.

Check with SnR cuz they may still have a bunch from last season on sale in their St Albans warehouse.
latest report
shoogly, haha, was being slightly mischievous myself. Agree the prices are crazy, but I don't understand the vitriol some people hold for high end clothing, very similar attitude to describing every ferrari driver as a w@nker. Just bought a Patagonia jacket myself, £450 for a top quality shell and it looks the business. The reason I don't like the killy/kjus/schoffel stuff is the styling, which to my eye is cliched euro-trash, and the heavy insulation.

Knee's coming along great thanks. Gave it a good run in the gym last night, 2 miles with the final couple of minutes at a flat sprint and it held up well. I'll see the physio in the next week or so for a sign-off, then it's off to Schladming in December 16th for a test ski weekend/stroll in the meadows (delete as appropriate to snow fall). Quite nervous because, typically, this season I have more potential skiing lined up than for a few years with friends taking season chalets and work trips.
latest report
Be careful out there! Hope it holds out for you.

My wife is a physio and does a fair bit of work with ACL rehab (on older patients mind you) but they need good time. Sounds like you are going about it the right way though. Happy skiing.

Now, back on topic....

at least we're not talking about Spyder Twisted Evil
snow report
Dr John wrote:
shoogly, haha, was being slightly mischievous myself. Agree the prices are crazy, but I don't understand the vitriol some people hold for high end clothing, very similar attitude to describing every ferrari driver as a w@nker. Just bought a Patagonia jacket myself, £450 for a top quality shell and it looks the business. The reason I don't like the killy/kjus/schoffel stuff is the styling, which to my eye is cliched euro-trash, and the heavy insulation.

that was kinda my point, although maybe my 2 words didn't get all the nuance Wink
ski holidays
Arno, fairy snuff. For what it's worth, I think woman can carry off the Kjus look much better than men. Something to do with the figure hugging design. Men juut tend to look somewhat effete.

shoogly, don't get me started....
latest report
I wouldnt bother if I was you. You are paying a lot of money for the name Kjus. Id save a bit of money and spend it on better equipment, another weekend away or maybe a guide for the day. However if your thinking about buying Kjus then it probably doesnt matter. However there are alot of better jackets for less money.
latest report
For a resonably priced top quality jacket I'd be looking at manufacturers such as Arcteryx, Montane, Rab, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia and Vaude.

http://www.testberichte.de/a/funktionsjacke/magazin/outdoor-11-2011/291823.html

Wouldn't go for an insulated jacket as a shell with thermal layers underneath is more flexible and easier to wash etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy