Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The World's best value season pass?

Poster: A snowHead
I give you......The Tirol Snow Card - at a bargain €626.

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter/die-tirol-snow-card-2009-10-(kopie).html

82 resorts (including 4 glacier areas)
1,050 lifts
3,596 km of pistes
Valid 1st October to 15th May

As the blurb says “More pleasure with one card isn't possible!!!”......Though a few SH might disagree after their partners have had their mitts on their Platinum credit cards Toofy Grin ??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's a lot of terrain...is there a map that shows the proximity of the resorts to each other?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flash map thingy here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Map at http://snowcard.tirol.at/

There is a similar (slightly-overlapping) Salzburg area pass too http://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com - but that only covers 23 ski areas, ~760 lifts and around 2500km of piste.

Unfortunately the two main areas I'll be skiing this winter (Ski Welt and Ski Amade) aren't both covered by either pass!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, followed closely by the Salzburger Superski Pass a mere 535 Euro for:

23 major ski areas (including some in Tirol! Shocked ) - http://www.salzburgerland.com/ski-board/en/super-ski-card/23-ski-regions.html
132 cable cars
251 chair lifts
378 tows and practice lifts
835 km blue runs
1.336 km red runs
274 km black runs
1.951 km of slopes with snowmaking coverage
2.552 km of slopes in total

http://www.salzburgerland.com/media/ski-board/SSSCardPreisblatt.pdf

Mind you it only runs from November through to beginning of May

As I live on the border of both areas I'm toying with getting both! I'm serious as well! Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 17-11-11 20:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, Ski Welt isn't covered by either yet, but Ski Amade is covered by the Salzburger Card! It was the first combined area card in Salzburgerland and the seed from which the Super card grew!

I think the Ski Welt will go in with Tirol next year as there are more resorts listed this year than last year. I was suprised to see Schnewwinkl on the Salzburg card as it is in Tirol, but it leans towards the Saalbach circuit as Leogang is just up the road.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 14-11-11 21:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Welt http://www.snowcard.tirol.at/skigebiete.html?sg=39#39
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
These two aren't bad either

http://www.3taeler.at/de/tickets-und-karten/3taelerpass-saisonkartentarife

http://www.superschnee.com/index.shtml?allgaeugletschercard

For me the best value season pass for one resort is the Kiroro, Hokkaido season pass

360 euros for 5 months of uncontested powder.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, RobW, am I seeing things then? On here: http://snowcard.tirol.at/ the SkiWelt resorts are listed and it looks to me like they are included on the Tirol Snow Card Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
€209 for the winter season in Valloire in the Maurienne valley (€239 for the whole year):

http://www.skipass-valloire.com/pages/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue,
Any thoughts on where it would be best to be based to take advantage of the Tirol Snow Card?

It's something we would love to consider in the future but have no idea about the logistics, where to stay and how much (for instance) it might cost for accommodation from (say) December to April. Presumably it would be best to stay somewhere non touristy but within striking distance of loads of skiing?

Any thoughts?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
e.g., Bode Swiller, Yes I agree, I don't see why Samerberg Sue thinks the Ski Welt isn't covered by the Tirol pass.

This problem I have is that oski is training/racing in Austria for a well over a month this winter, and whilst I'm happy to buy him the recommended Tirol season pass as it's only(!) €300 for him, for me it's ~€600; but we've also a 1-week commitment in Ski Amade for over New Year, and it would just make things so much easier (and cheaper!) if one pass covered both.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep looks like they are, so now my decision is even harder as the Ski Welt is only 30 minutes from my front door and my ski area of choice at short notice for a few runs!

But most of my friends have the Salzburger pass, so I'll stick with that for now and see how many pennies the taxman gives me back to see if I can stretch to a Tirol card as well. I see that the Ötztal region has joined this year (Sölden & Obergurgl) so it is looking more and more inviting by the minute. St Anton is not yet on there though Crying or Very sad

Der Qual der Wahl for those of us who have it Laughing

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister, Probably Innsbruck - fairly central and good choices of hotels as well as transport links

RobW, I wasn't looking at the newest page on my stored links that's why! rolling eyes
snow report
SkiWelt is on Tirol Snow Card (I've used it the last few seasons, based in Innsbruck btw Bergmeister). It used to be cheaper - I'm sure it was only €517 last year. Couldn't afford it this year so just got the Innsbruck Freizeit ticket for €350 (lasts the whole year, with swimming pools/the Innsbruck furnicular/etc), which won't be much of a hardship as I seem to spend 90% the time just up Nordkette anyway. Axamer Lizum and 3 days in St Anton and Ischgl too this season Cool
ski holidays
clarky999, It was a lot cheaper last year but that was the first season in this format wasn't it? I almost bought it last year but read that the Ski Welt was not on it, so I didn't buy it?

With more of the bigger resorts included now it is bound to go up. Sölden was most definitely not in last year for example. I would have bought the damned thing instead of a 6day card! Laughing
latest report
Samerberg Sue, doubt St Anton will ever be on it, as their season pass is over €100 more than the Tirol Snow Card is currently!!
latest report
Quote:

based in Innsbruck btw Bergmeister

Quote:

Innsbruck - fairly central and good choices of hotels

If we went for a few months I think (on cost grounds) we would be looking at renting an apartment as opposed to staying in a hotel.

Any ideas how much we would be talking about for a long term rental of a small apartment there? Or somewhere else (a bit less citylike and possibly cheaper) close to the motorway?
latest report
RobW wrote:
e.g., Bode Swiller, Yes I agree, I don't see why Samerberg Sue thinks the Ski Welt isn't covered by the Tirol pass.

Breaking news - Samerberg Sue gets something wrong live on the forum Laughing
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, verpisst dich du großen Arschloch. Du bist so dermassen neidisch du tickst nicht richtig.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, If I bought this pass I'd need to unemployed to find the time to actually use it. Possibly I may need a 10 month winter too ! Incredible
snow report
Samerberg Sue,

Language Timothy!! Shocked Shocked

Wasn't Bode being tongue in cheek? Isn't there a milder form of Worten you could have used to tell him where to go? Puzzled
snow report
Bergmeister, No he wasn't and that was mild compared to what I could have said! He is a wind up merchant and after my day today I can do without armchair smart alecks on my case. I made a mistake and did not check the date on my links because he's the one who seems to have the idea that I'm infallible, I certainly don't, my name's not Benedikt Toofy Grin

Sein Pimmel ist großer als sein Gehirn und für ihm der zu finden, braucht er einen Lupe deswegen hat er so viele Probleme in die Gesellschaft zu recht zu kommen Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, calm down dear (in a Call-Me-Dave accent), you really have taken on the local sense of humour eh? I expect you've been caught up in traffic, totally understand.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Well, my German is improving - I only needed Google translate to confirm what I thought you said. Think quiet, calming thoughts; it's not worth retaliating!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Love your german. Very Happy
snow conditions
Nobody's mentioned the Kitzbüheler Alpen AllStar Card, which (if bought before 7th Dec) also costs €535. I've used that for a decade or more now and been very happy with it. This year, though, I've bought the Salzburg Super Ski Card, really so that I can ski some areas further east that I don't know so well. I live just where the cards overlap, so I'm spoiled for choice. I find that the Tirol Snow Card, as well as costing a good deal more, covers areas too far to the west to be attractive for me.

Bergmeister, I too thought somewhere around Innsbruck would be a good base if you want to use the Tirol Snowcard. It doesn't have to be Innsbruck itself, though that could be fine (plenty going on when you don't fancy skiing). Maybe somewhere like Wattens or Hall. clarky999 knows that area better, I think.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I had it last season and the year before, don't think it changed in that time (I used it in Westendorf and the SkiWelt the first year I had it). Maybe you're thinking of they year before that (so 3 seasons ago) - I wasn't in the position I'm in now so don't really know what it was like then! If you do get the Tirol pass, give me a shout at some point in the season!

Bergmeister, depends what you're looking for really, cheapness, working village, resort feel? Or just ski convenience? Most places seem to be just a few minutes off the motorway/schnellstrasse that runs the length of Tirol, so getting about is pretty easy.

We're based in Hungerburg, which is basically a suburb of Innsbruck, up above the city (although it all blends in), and it's never felt like city living to me (saying that, main Innsbruck is different most cities I've been to anyway). My gf has her own flat now, but before she rented (a room in) a 3 bedroom flat for about €250 a month inc bills - Hungerburg is generally considered more expensive than in the main city though. The flat she had was right next to the Hungerburgbhan furnicular - 5 mins in one direction to the city centre, 5 in the other to the top of the Nordkette ski area (great offpiste). We're a few mins walk down the road now (but next to the Spar which is convenient, and the bus stop for getting back form a night out). It's a pretty cool place to live, I can find out details of the place she rented if you want, although I don't know how keen they'd be on seasonal rents. Somewhere like Landeck may also be worth looking into, unless you're more about the quiet life.
snow report
espri, that's my gut feeling with the Tirol card as well. I'm right in the eastern corner of the Tirol card but it is starting to look tempting. I've skied most of the areas on the Salzburg Card at some time or another but mostly ski in my favourite areas. I'm looking to renew my acquaintance with a couple of areas in the Hochkönig this season as they are closer to us aren't they (if not the easiest for me to reach.)

I think with these big province wide cards, they are aimed at people based out here and who predominantly ski one or two areas on a daily/weekely basis. The fun is that we get excellent value for our money plus the option to spread our wings and try new mountains that perhaps we would not have done without the impetus that the card gives us. I know last year I was a wee bit hacked off to have to pay 42 Euros to ski with a couple of friends who were with beginners in a resort not on my card. I rode exactly 7 lifts in just over half a day which was a wee bit expensive to my mind! Doing it that way gives you the flexibility to ski where you want, but it works out so expensive!

clarky999, I was not skiing too much in the time from 2006 to 2008 due to my injuries - I think the Tirol card came into its current form sometime then. I remember SaraJ telling me about it just after I was cleared to to return to the slopes in January 2009. Perhaps it existed before then, but was not as widely marketed as it is now. The Salzburg Card has been around a while, but only really started marketing itself heavily a couple of years or so back. as it became more popular more areas joined. I had my first Ski Amadé season card sometime in the early 90s and skied loads of different areas on it.
I can't see St Anton ever joining the Tirol Card to be honest - one the regional pass there is crosses provincial borders, and two, they don't need the traffic. But their day rates are horrendously expensive. If I lived in the area I would look at finiding out if there were some kind of similar agreement for season pass holders down in that neck of the woods.
ski holidays
I got my ski pass directly from the operator I booked with, they threw in ski passes for our whole group which saved us loads. Ask your ski tour operator about any deals they have or look on a coupon / voucher site [hang on let me look] ok skisite.com & etailmenot have some great offers / vouchers but are mostly for US based resorts. Sad
latest report
Bergmeister, If you're thinking of staying from December until April to explore the whole Tirol Snowcard areas then I'd probably suggest looking at moving around... So, for example, maybe a month in the west (Landeck or Imst area) a month around Innsbruck, a month somewhere near Zillertal, a month near the SkiWelt area (maybe Kufstein?). It's quite a long way from Innsbruck to Kitzbuehel, for example, probably too far to go skiing for a day, so if you wanted to see the whole Tirol Snowcard area, I reckon moving around is the answer. Though, of course, then you have the hassle of finding accommodation in different places.
It depends really what you want from the trip but if you only want to stay in one place then I'd say, probably, either Innsbruck or Kufstein. Innsbruck is prettier (and has loads of small ski areas nearby), Kufstein gives you easier access to the SkiWelt, Kitzbuehel and Zillertal is 30-40 minutes away.

My parents think the Tirol Snowcard is marvellous. On their way to visit me they find a B&B somewhere in the Snowcard area, spend a couple of days exploring somewhere new, then come to Zillertal. On the way home they find somewhere else and do the same thing.

I get the Tirol card because of the longer season. It costs about €30 more than the Zillertal Season card. The Zillertal card runs from December to April, the Tirol card from October until mid-May. I've already used it at Hintertux this season and am expecting to be using it in May.

clarky999, The price for my card went up €20 since last year. Maybe you managed to get a local price last year? Or maybe your birth date meant that you got Youth price? I don't know, but I don't think the price has increased that much. (Definitely not increased by over €100, from €517 to €626)
If you're heading in this direction, give me a shout. You might want to put this date in your diary too http://www.bigmountain-hochfuegen.com/ I had to work last year when it was on and couldn't see any of it from where I was, but apparently, there were some very good freeriders doing some quite crazy stuff in very variable conditions... Worth watching if you can. (Doh! Just realised you have an Innsbruck card so Hochfuegen isn't included! Hey ho!)
latest report
SaraJ, Definitely didn't get a youth discount, if I got a local discount it was entirely by accident lol. OTOH, I could well have just forgotten!

BTW, we've done Innsbruck to Kitz/Westendorf a few times for day trips - easily doable, around an hour (tops). St Anton/Ischgl about 1.5 hours in the other direction (Landeck was 40 mins this summer).

Sadly the Hochfuegen event is bang in my exam time, maybe next season!
snow conditions
I'm really glad I posted the OP!! Some really good options on here for Mrs MA and I to plan our (sometime in the future)season in the Alps Smile
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

The Fieberbrunn "Big Mountain" competition is in the week 8-15 March. I climbed up the Wildseeloder this autumn but I certainly won't be skiing down it!
snow report
One comment on SaraJ's suggestions: I wouldn't go for Kufstein, it's right out on the northeast end of the ski areas. For SkiWelt, Kitzbühel, Zillertal I think Westendorf (or Brixen or Itter; Wörgl would be practical too but not very attractive) would be more central.
ski holidays
espri,
Quote:

Wörgl would be practical too but not very attractive

I'd forgotten about Wörgl. That would be a good location... for lots of places, though I'm not sure that I'd want to live there.
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
I'd forgotten about Wörgl. That would be a good location... for lots of places, though I'm not sure that I'd want to live there.

Actually, I only know Wörgl from driving through it, which is not very attractive. There may be fine corners tucked away off the main road.
ski holidays
clarky999,
Thanks for the advice. Lots of great tips here so far.

In reality we are looking at this as a medium term possibilty rather than anything immediate. What is interesting however is that this thread is giving us a lot of options to consider that hadn't previously crossed our minds.

Nearer the time we would look into accommodation possibilities. Although Innsbruck does sound like the place to be we would consider other locations if they were (significantly) cheaper and within striking distance of plenty of skiing. Moving round does indeed sound like a good idea!

It would be an impressive feat to tick off 80 odd ski areas in a season! Very Happy
ski holidays
espri wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

The Fieberbrunn "Big Mountain" competition is in the week 8-15 March. I climbed up the Wildseeloder this autumn but I certainly won't be skiing down it!

Will definitely look into that!

Anywhere along/near that main road from Woergl through Jenbach, Hall, Innsbruck to Landeck would be worth looking into, you'd have nearby 'local' resorts and easy journeys to all the others.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy