Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any video tutorial recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to skiing, being the veteran of 1 weeks holday last season that got me completely hooked followed by a couple of days glacier skiing in the summer. So far I've managed to throw myself down some tricky (to me) runs by taking the attitude that enthusiasm and a willingness to pick myself up a lot will help me to improve. However I would really like to start to improve technique now, I realise I could undoubtedly do with some lesons, however, ski instruction isn't really fitting into my budget. I know that this will be a poor substitue but I'm hoping that some decent online instruction videos and a willingness to repeat a few drills in some pre holiday snowdome might move me along a little, can anyone recommend some good sources? I've looked, but being a newbie there is so much out there that I don't want to start attempting to improve my technique only to find out that the video is not really great instruction as I snowball down the mountain.

Any advice would be appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to BASI site, choose shop, pick the skiing skills of choice DVD. However as you have perceived early lessons are vital if you want to escape bad habits which you will carry forever, a one hour private about same price as some DVDs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This thread might be of interest http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81983
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickfal, have a look at this link:

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/About_Rick_Schnellmann.html

these DVDs are exceptionally thorough and clear, though I think they might be pitched at a skier with a bit more experience.

But yes, you do need a real live person at those early stages, as it's easy to think you are doing the exercise right, when in fact you're not!

Where and when are you going on holiday? Lessons aren't necessarily very expensive - the difference between a (perfectly OK) budget ski jacket, and a "big name" jacket could pay for a lot of good instruction.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice guys. I feel that really you have probably confirmed what I already knew, i.e that I should raid the piggy bank and grab a few lessons on next holiday to try and improve. We're heading to Val D'Isere so I'll make a few enquiries. Any recomendations appreciated.

Thanks again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickfal, raid the piggy bank and get lessons before you go, if you have a local dryslope enquire about block lessons, some do a block of 4 or 6 group lessons that can work out a lot cheaper, its also worth checking out if any slopes run social evenings etc, our local slope hold these with an instructor on hand, not necessarily purely teaching but lots of fun drills for balance, posture etc and it's generally around the same price as recreational skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
check out sofa ski school http://www.sofaskischool.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy