Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jamie Pierre killed in avalanche... RIP

Poster: A snowHead
Tragically, world famous skier Jamie Pierre was killed in an avalanche yesterday at Snowbird in Utah.....See: http://www.powdermag.com/stories/jamie-pierre-1973-2011/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very sad http://utahavalanchecenter.org/accident_gad_valley_11132011
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://vimeo.com/21352564
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shame. But this is often the result of this:

Quote:
While neither had any rescue gear or formal avalanche training, they were both expert skiers and new the terrain well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sad to see
he was certainly an entertainer
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
very sad to hear this great skier, I don't think the ref to avi rescue gear means they did not have essentials like transceiver shovels and probes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski wrote:
very sad to hear this great skier, I don't think the ref to avi rescue gear means they did not have essentials like transceiver shovels and probes

That's exactly how I interpreted it from the avalanche report.

How else could you?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski wrote:
s

I've no idea if he had any kit but as the inital reports are sounding more like trauma rather than asphyxiation I await the heated helmet discussion with bated breath (Hmmm heated helmets now theres a strange idea)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
from the report, it didn't sound like bleepers and shovels would have made any difference
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
from the report, it didn't sound like bleepers and shovels would have made any difference

that's how I interpreted the partial burial as well. They were in resort, but no control work being done yet as they do not open until Friday. Sounds like a lot of unstable snow which is not a great thing to have on a 40° slope.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I interpret it that way as well... Also skiing inbounds in a closed ski area - and ten human-triggered avalanches yesterday in Utah because of an unstable pack.

But he was "was carried hundreds of feet through steep rocky terrain and reportedly went over a small cliff band and came to a stop only partially buried.” so I don't think the absence or not of kit is the issue

This is the chap who did his big 270 foot jump 5 years ago partly as a demonstration of his Christian faith. I was in JH the next season, and people seemed to treat this as a bit odd. He needed to be dug out of a deep hole by his friends then. Bumper stickers appeared later saying "Jesus would have Stuck It..."

RIP

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 14-11-11 11:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It certainly wouldn't have hindered them.

It does look like trauma was the cause of death at this stage, but my comment was more about the 'formal avalanche training'. Sorry should have been more specific.

The rescue authorities treated the effect. IMHO the skiers failed to recognise the cause

Quote:
Weather & Avalanche History:

Collapsing of the snow pack occurred all week prior to the accident. There were two slab avalanches triggered early in the week and no less then 12 human triggered avalanches during the day of the accident. Over an inch of water weight was added to our weak pre existing snow, obviously too much weight for the snowpack to stay put with people on the steeper slopes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is a great bit of video. RIP.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here is his more mental moment... WTF was he thinking!!!!

http://youtube.com/v/G0SDQcm0VcU
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, Shocked Speechless!
latest report
took some size of gonads that didn't it! was it skiing though? or did he forget his parachute.

Seen a fair bit of his stuff though and he was a talented skier as well as freefaller. really nice, genuine guy by all accounts as well.
snow conditions
Quote:

This is the chap who did his big 270 foot jump 5 years ago partly as a demonstration of his Christian faith. I was in JH the next season, and people seemed to treat this as a bit odd. He needed to be dug out of a deep hole by his friends then. Bumper stickers appeared later saying "Jesus would have Stuck It..."

I don't believe he ever did it as a demonstration of faith, he never said as such. He was mis-quoted/misunderstood.

RIP. Those that burn brightest......
latest report
RIP, excellent skier....
but I'm sorry, the whole cliff falling stuff is a croc of whatsits and is just plain stupid.
It takes no skill to ski 3 meters and fall off a cliff head first into powder; it takes stupidity.
snow conditions
Some people are just born with the need to push themselves and their sport to the limit of whats possible and I respect that, some people call that inspiational, some call it stupid. Jamie was a massively talented skiier and that jump was an extension of years of training, and a result of being wired differently to most people. My thought are with his family and children.
latest report
There are many reasons why people die in extreme sports, and bad luck is one of them.

Unfortunately, thinking you are an expert also features high on the list, as do ignorance, stupidity, lack of training, lack of equipment, and a lack of understanding of your own mortality. If as it seems they were in a closed area of a resort yet to open with no avalanche control where last season's snow had been retained as the base for a large fresh fall, and where many other avalanches had been triggered recently and on the same day, I'd be inclined to believe bad luck isn't the cause in this case.
ski holidays
Very sad.

Certainly the jump was astonishing but for moral inspiration I turn to things like this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78623&start=80#1892512 which was on the stoke thread, and for specific inspiration it needs to be something I can conceive I might possibly do or aspire to do.
snow report
snowball, agreed. Just humbling.
snow conditions
WOW. Never seen that before snowball, what a video, humbling and emotional.
snow report
Thanks for the post snowball (and Fatbob originally). Has made my Monday.
latest report
galpinos, do you want to listen to what he actually says over the r/t before he jumps in that clip Shoogly posted?
ski holidays
snowball, Amazing. Eye watering. What a guy.
snow report
Everyone is wired differently, each to their own and all that.

RIP
ski holidays
Over Confidence has accounted for many talented adreanalin Junkies. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Died doing what he loved. Enjoy the eternal freshies...

As ever, I feel sorry for those he left behind.

Edit to say: RIP > Rest In Powder?
ski holidays
shoogly, after watching that vid i have to question why - and why not or because i can is not a justifiable reason either. without wanting to sound insensitive if that is what he got his kicks from then in my opinion it was only a matter of time...and i cant see that going of that cliff was anything to do with skiing..any cliff diver would know how deep the water is ..did he know how deep the snow was...

my 2cents anyway....

i will be more than happy enjpying a few little jumps and bumps in steamboat at xmas Very Happy
latest report
pauljames wrote:
..did he know how deep the snow was...

yes - he had been eyeing that drop for a long time before he did it and would have probed the landing zone for rocks
snow report
pauljames wrote:
shoogly, after watching that vid i have to question why - and why not or because i can is not a justifiable reason either. without wanting to sound insensitive if that is what he got his kicks from then in my opinion it was only a matter of time...and i cant see that going of that cliff was anything to do with skiing..any cliff diver would know how deep the water is ..did he know how deep the snow was...

my 2cents anyway....

i will be more than happy enjpying a few little jumps and bumps in steamboat at xmas Very Happy

Not sure smiles are inorder here Confused This guy undoubtablely lived the life he wanted to but I am sure he will be sadly missed by his family and friends , my thoughts go with them
latest report
Neilski, +1 from me
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't believe he ever did it as a demonstration of faith, he never said as such. He was mis-quoted/misunderstood.

RIP. Those that burn brightest......

He did say something that sounded like that but from other stuff he said I don't think that was what he meant at all, I think it was meant to be more along the lines of God inspiring him to do amazing things.

The saddest thing about this is that he has stated several times that he has toned his skiing down because he didn't want to risk killing himself with the responsibility of a wife and 2 kids.

RIP
ski holidays
rambotion wrote:

The saddest thing about this is that he has stated several times that he has toned his skiing down because he didn't want to risk killing himself with the responsibility of a wife and 2 kids.

That's pretty sad...thoughts with his family.

RIP
snow conditions
RIP.

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/uac-releases-pierre-slide-investigation-photos/
snow conditions
Sad news. My friend in 'bird was skiing 1000ft away when it happened and said the whole place was super sketchy. Like to think if I'd triggered a slide like the one in the cirque on the pack up, I'd've been seriously thinking about calling it a day.

And a pretty good example too of why you should ignore any gung-ho mates who insist something's pretty safe to ski simply because it's tree-d...
snow report
Elston, those pics are an eye opener as far as this event is concerned. why go on if the pack is so unstable that the bootpack almost had you in the first place. Sad

Maybe these images will help serve as some kind of education for those who see them.
snow conditions
Can't believe that they carried on after triggering the first avalanche. That's plain crazy.
snow report
Steilhang, yep. I can only imagine that it came down after they passed Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy