Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP! Country/Resort recommendations needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm starting to look at booking our first European snow trip (7 days, between £800 & £1400) for mid Jan but I'm feeling really over whelmed by all the options Puzzled

I would say that I'm of Intermediate skill when snowboarding (+30 days) and my partner is a beginner on Skis (+4-5 days). All my previous experience has been back home on the Aussie slopes (patchy/icy for all but about 2-4 weeks of the year) and I'm really keen to experience some "real" snow with lots of runs to choose from but there need to be some gentler red runs for my S.O. (she was tackling easy blue back home which is the same as red here from what I understand)

Initially, I was looking at Arinsal but didn't think I'd get the variety of intermediate runs and read that it can be without snow in late December early Jan. I was then looking at Sestriere because I read that it was "Snow sure", but now I'm not sure if that is the best place either...

So basically, I'm just really lost and over whelmed. Any recommendations/suggestions to steer me in the right direction would be really helpful!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like most places would suit tbh, however Saalbach has (lots of) excellent blue and red pistes for learners and intermediates, and is a really fun town with great atmosphere, and if your coming all the way from Oz you really should at least try proper Austrian apres (beer, jaeger, schnapps, loud music, tables, ski boots). Also has a good snow record and is reasonably priced.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bmsq, welcome to snowHead 's.
Give us a try here in Morzine in the Portes Du Soleil area of the French Alps. Nice friendly alpine town, lots of variety of slopes for both of you.
Of course I am biased, but hey. I would not have stayed if it was not good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll have a look at both later today! Oz is really touch and go for the first few months of the season, should I be worried about booking mid Jan or is good snow a safe bet for Austria/France/Italy?

I will however add that I'm actually based in London at the moment, so this will only be the first trip of the season Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it just the two of you as mid Jan is off peak you could always book a last minute deal and you would have an idea of what the snow conditions are like then?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bmsq, If you're considering clarky999's suggestion, I may be able to assist - have sent you a message
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(she was tackling easy blue back home which is the same as red here from what I understand)

I think I would get some advice about relative piste gradings if I were you. I know nothing whatsoever about Aussie piste markings but not many people in France for example would be tackling red runs after 4-5 days. Not impossible I grant you, especially if we are talking about an accomplished athlete with experience in other balance-oriented sports, but probably not the way to bet either.

I am sure someone with broader expertise will be along to comment soon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The adequacy of the snow shouldn't be an issue in mid-January (unless it's a very unusual season) wherever you choose. I agree with Bogusman, that it would be surprising (though not unheard of) for your gf to be tackling European red runs after 4-5 days, but anywhere with a decent proportion of blue runs should be fine. I'm not surprised that you feel lost for choice at your relative stages. In the end it will boil down to which country/resort attracts you the most. I would place some emphasis on ski convenience (resort level skiing, variety of resort runs, ski-in ski-out accommodation), the charm of the surroundings, and, if you like a party atmosphere, the quality of the apres-ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If it just the two of you as mid Jan is off peak you could always book a last minute deal and you would have an idea of what the snow conditions are like then?

+1.

But you might like to think, in the meantime, of the kind of accommodation you want. The big choices are between hotels, catered chalets and renting an apartment (then either self catering or eating out, or a mix of the two) and between slopeside accommodation (known as "ski in/out") or places where you need to get a bus or drive to the slopes. Beware of places where you have to walk any distance in ski boots.

Being right in a substantial town can give you more choice of off-slope activities but you are likely to be further from the snow - or at least, further from the reliable snow.

A final, but actually rather important consideration, is somewhere with good quality ski tuition available for the GF.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Beware of places where you have to walk any distance in ski boots.

pam w, +1 wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy