Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

levotape kinesiology tape for knees

Poster: A snowHead
I've been having fun with my chiropractor trying to get me into workable shape for the Winter (he has his hands full) and he's been using levotape on my knees.
It's weird stretchy sticky tape that stays stuck on for about a week - I thought that it was a bit silly and wasn't expecting it to work but...

I have hyperextended both of my knees and they swell up and annoy me every few weeks but this tape pulls the skin gently away from my tendons (I think) which lets them move into the right place or something lke that.... I have no swelling and no pain anymore.

If anyone has similar knee problems it's worth giving it a try, I can't believe how easily it works - hopefully it will keep me going all this season. Apparently Beckham uses it so if it's good enough for him Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had my shoulder taped up on Wednesday evening. The tape did seem to offer some support and relief for a minor shoulder injury. However! I noticed that a bit of tape was lifting tonight, so I went to cut it off, only to see that a chunk of skin was stuck to it too. It only seemed to be in one patch but I've taken it all off to be on the safe side. I'm not usually allergic to plasters or anything.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
victoriac, I use it one of my knees and it really is fantastic stuff. There are a few single leg exercises that I do everyday but the tape does help me a lot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Placebo effect
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andybag, Idiot!

victoriac, I've used taping to hold my kneecap in place for a while. It does work, but it also indicates that my Vastus Medialis is weaker than the Vastus Lateralis. I am working on building up the VM but it is notoriously difficult to work in isolation. With tape I am relatively pain free, without it I can only ski for about 30 minutes before the pain kicks in. I use both normal zinc oxide tape as well as Kensio tape. It is difficult and expensive to get hold of here, hence the use of bog standard zinc oxide. At my age it very unlikely that I will ever be able to balance out the 2 parts of my quad muscles. But I can still ski that and that is the main purpose of using it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
victoriac, If you believe it works it works.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue I can understand the science behind why the zinc oxide taping would help support your knee, but personally I can see why Kinesio tape would help. I'm pretty sure that a very stretchy, pretty coloured bit of tape (which more often than not peels off) would not help in supporting your kneecap and I think it is the rigid zinc oxide that is doing the supporting. But hey what would a Sport Scientist know?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andybag wrote:
Samerberg Sue I can understand the science behind why the zinc oxide taping would help support your knee, but personally I can see why Kinesio tape would help. I'm pretty sure that a very stretchy, pretty coloured bit of tape (which more often than not peels off) would not help in supporting your kneecap and I think it is the rigid zinc oxide that is doing the supporting. But hey what would a Sport Scientist know?

If it works then it works. I certainly do not have any need for a 'Sports Scientist' telling me otherwise.

Regarding the placebo effect: Personally I have tried lots of other products that did not work for me and some caused increased irritation and discomfort.
Conclusion: be open minded and try all potential solutions. But at the end of the day if its not working try something different.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the disdain Elston
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andybag, then you have obviously never heard of McConnel Taping or Kensio Taping. Both of which are well known and widely accepted techniques to support sport/daily movement in people with muscular deficiencies! Hence you see so much "very stretchy, pretty coloured bit of tape" on a wide variety of world-class sportsmen and women.

You may be a "sports scientist", but you are most certainly not an experienced sports physician or physiotherapist. I'll stick with their advice and guidance and keep taping my knee with whichever of the two types of tape I have to hand.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
While on subject of weak knees. This year both of my knees (although my left mainly) has been quite painful from first day of skiing and still 3 weeks on. Not laterally - they feel very strong laterally. But when my leg is straight the feel painful and unstable vertically - it feels like the front inside of my kneecap is supporting my weight on a knife edge.

Obviously I am now looking at a doc/ physio trip as it hasn't completely gone, but I'd be interested in anyone who has felt similar and might know what it is or what needs to be done. Also anyone can point me to some simple exercises to start building up the strength around my knees as I am getting older and they are getting weaker.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Samerberg Sue, I only get paid to conduct research into the effect of sport on the human body (mainly bio-mechanically if you were interested). Again I have heard of both McConnel Taping and Kinesio taping but as I said there is no science to support the effectiveness of Kinesio tape as joint support, if you can point me in the direction of some research or theory I would happily look it over.

Here's an empirical study into the clinical effect of Kinesio tape (however it is for shoulders, not knees) for you to mull over

http://sportheart.ru/articles/the_clinical_efficacy_of_kinesio_tape.pdf
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thought we'd done this before somewhere but this BBC article following Ballotelli's exposure seems to hint at more than a touch of holographic wristband about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18672458

I've got to admit I'd assumed Ballotelli's taping was providing some sort of functional lower back support but that was before I'd read the bollox about it relieving pressure from the skin on lower levels of tissue/organs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, it is just alternative medicine. You know, like medicine, but without any proof. No doubt we'll be seeing tons of the stuff during the Olympics.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monium, Yep I realise that - I just hadn't happened on this particular quackery before & had naively assumed that kinesio taping was a method of taping to actually provide some functional support or relief.
snow report
So far the volleyballists seemed to have this particular nonsense locked up but there's a Ukranian woman in the triple jump whose leg is virtually all pretty coloured tape.
latest report
It might be only placebo, but it works for me. Few years back I sprained my ankle really bad, and I wasn't able to even step on my feet, so I decided to try Kinesio. It's not, that I would be running after it, but I was actually able to walk and on top of that, I was able to spend day on course with ski boots on (yes it was still hell of a job to get foot into boot). Considering I can stand quite lot of pain, and I really wasn't able to stand on feet before, I doubt this was placebo only.
After this, I have been using Kinesio tape for quite few other things, including my speed inline skating sessions, where you are bend down for 2 hours or so, and without it, there's no way I would be still kicking for last hour or so. With this tape, my back is feeling much much better.
So maybe it is placebo, or maybe it's not, but it works for me, and that's all I care.
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
It might be only placebo, but it works for me. Few years back I sprained my ankle really bad, and I wasn't able to even step on my feet, so I decided to try Kinesio. It's not, that I would be running after it, but I was actually able to walk and on top of that, I was able to spend day on course with ski boots on (yes it was still hell of a job to get foot into boot). Considering I can stand quite lot of pain, and I really wasn't able to stand on feet before, I doubt this was placebo only.
After this, I have been using Kinesio tape for quite few other things, including my speed inline skating sessions, where you are bend down for 2 hours or so, and without it, there's no way I would be still kicking for last hour or so. With this tape, my back is feeling much much better.
So maybe it is placebo, or maybe it's not, but it works for me, and that's all I care.

Don't confuse using ANY sort of tape in the correct manner, which is shown to work like strapping or braces in helping acute injuries, with the Japanese snake-oil tape which just has to be stuck on. If you're using tape like strapping to support the muscles and biomechanical structure then it doesn't reall matter what tape you use, it will help to some extent.

This japanese tape's claims are unfounded, but it doesn't mean you can't use it in a tried and tested way to get tried and tested results.
snow conditions
Feef thing is, that "Japanese snake-oil tape", with which you probably refer to Kinesio tape, is actually working for me. In my sprained ankle case, it wasn't used for traditional taping to give support, but with two single striped applied in ankle area. And as I wrote, before I wasn't able to even step on my foot, and after that, I was able to walk. Sure I couldn't run, but being able to walk for those few days before I could get rest, was pretty cool thing to do, even with "snake-oil tape".
Another thing is, when you look why it works, and when you know a bit about physiology, you can actually apply it with some effect... even if it's not "tried and tested" by some official institution Wink Considering most (if any) of athletes, using it, doesn't get any monetary benefits from it, do you really think they use it only as placebo? Wink
But no matter what, it's not really my problem if someone doesn't like it. Noone is forcing anyone to use it. I know it works for me in some cases, and I don't need more "tried and tested results" then this. If you think it's snake-oil, it's fine with me Wink
snow report
I'm betting the adhesive in the Kinesio tape is laced with an analgesic and a hallucinogenic. Don’t get me wrong – I’m all for it (bet you no one has tested for either as well)!!
snow conditions
It's been around for a long while and has no proper evidential support, that itself should set alarm bells ringing. Sports medicine is worse than normal medicine for all sorts of faddy, unproven things because athletes are always looking for the competitive edge. Hence you get people genuinely endorsing holographic wrist bands despite it being even more obviously a con! This blog is good:

http://apgaylard.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/the-guadrian-and-dr-kase%E2%80%99s-magic-tape/

The Guardian actually wrote this piece and than was was forced to make a correction of it in the latter piece:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jul/03/kenzo-kase-kinesio-tape-sport-injury
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2011/jul/31/readers-edittor-sports-medicine

Note that the explanation of how the inventor thinks it works is impossible because its completely factually incorrect.

Which is not to say all taping isn't helpful. In my recent ankle sprain just wearing a compression sock to help lessen the swelling gave enough support to significantly improve my hobbling ability. By all means use special tape in bright colours but don't pretend its better than any other taping solution.

Of course this is from chap from a famously reliable industry right?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/jun/15/2

Oh wait. No the bogus claims extend well beyond taping injuries.
snow conditions
What I like most about this tape is that it is stretchy but still offers some support ie enough support to hold my knee cap. I have tried zinc tape, which works but is not very comfortable. Anybody know of any other tape that is stretchy?
ski holidays
primoz, I'm not sure high level athletes are the best test group given their propensity to use anything that will give them an edge (including for many illegal products if they think they won't be found out) and the important role of psychology in their coaching and preparation. Almost certainly a coach or trainer won't be taping them saying "there's no evidence this works but see what you think" but instead trying to plant positive associations with it. Thereafter athletes will be superstitious about using it.

You strike me as a reasonable man so how do you think it's working? Had you tried ibuprofen/naproxen etc first to no effect? I know my knees can go from barely functional to fine with a dose of the latter but believe there is some science behind its analgesic properties. Maybe I should see if magic tape has the same effect?

Is it really relieving your pain receptors by lifting the epidermis away from the dermis?

BTW I do believe in placebo effect. I know because good orthopods have advised me that nothing short of full Donjoy/CTI brace provides any real functional support for a knee and even then may have limited prophylactic effect in preventing ACL/MCL injuries. However this doesn't stop me wearing tubigrip compression on both knees when skiing as it "feels" that they are providing some support and therefore that my knees are less likely to go ping. The brain is a weird thing.
latest report
I get the feeling that anything that feels good, or different, will make you feel more relaxed about injuries or aches and that in itself will have a benefit. That said, I don't think sellotaping yourself is likely that useful Wink
snow report
Elston wrote:
What I like most about this tape is that it is stretchy but still offers some support ie enough support to hold my knee cap. I have tried zinc tape, which works but is not very comfortable. Anybody know of any other tape that is stretchy?

No idea whether it works the same on a knee - but I buy 'FASTAID cohesive bandage' from Tesco - around £2 for a 4.5 metres roll - holds fast on my dogs paw/ankle if he cuts or sprains it !
snow conditions
DaveC, Yup the placebo effect. There are cheaper things you could stick to yourself to give you some psychlogical comfort. Smile
snow conditions
White duct tape, and different coloured felt tips?

Out of curiosity, I would give it a go (the tapes mentioned in the thread, not the one I just suggested above!)

I bought one of those bracelets a few years ago (again curiosity). Did nothing for me, although I found it funny how I had to have it on no matter what - 1 year after taking it off, I'm as energetic as ever. Key? A good diet, and 8 hours sleep.

Some of the top rated posts on the BBC article have me in stitches Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy