Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Skiing Down To Tignes Les Brevieres

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am going away this year for the first time, possibly twice if I can get away with it so have lots of questions. Have not decided where yet but Tignes would be my preference.

My question is simple - when in the season(roughly) can you ski down to Tignes Les Brevieres? If I was to go early (10th Dec) or April what are the approximate cut of points for low level (1500m) skiing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When there's enough snow is the simple answer!

I've been to Tignes the last 3 years in December and the runs down there have opened sometime during the week. At the moment though there's very little snow other than on the glacier.

I've never been there in April but suspect that you probably couldn't get down there last April whereas the previous April there was tons on snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spot on, as soon as there's enough snow they'll open it. We usually ski Espace Killy mid Dec and it's been open more years than not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last April was unusual - but you could still ski down (though it was not a pleasure) - normal seasons yuor fine well into April as the slopes are well protected fro the sun. Le Brev may be the lowest part of Tignes at 1550m is still higher than mny resorts such as Meribel centre and Les Arcs 1600 - whose actual height above sea level is something like 1480m
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Week commencing the 11th December last year the pistes including Sache, myrtilles, Chardons were all closed to Les Brevieres, but the lift was running. We decided to risk going down the blue myrtilles there was patchy snow in places with lots of rocks showing through as it had rained the previous week. Sache appeared in good shape at the bottom only suggestion why it was closed was to keep it in good shape for christmas and new year weeks.

So that early in the season isn't garunteed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Le Brev may be the lowest part of Tignes at 1550m is still higher than mny resorts such as Meribel centre and Les Arcs 1600 - whose actual height above sea level is something like 1480m

Fasinating stetment. The bottom of the pistes in Arc1600 are around 1630m on the IGN maps, Arc 1800 is abouit 1710, (which is why the snow is often just as good in 1600 as 1800 and why it is an easy cycle between them). On the other hand 2000 is at 2150 it is named after the millenium not the height. You are correct about Meribel and Le Breviere.

In spring aspect matters more than elevation to snow condition. Arc 1600 is just nort of West, whereas Le Breviere is just north of East. Choose when in the day you like to ski each.

John
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roscoeh, is there a particular reason you want to stay in Les Brev? If its for cost you have to weigh up the pro's/cons, we stayed in Les Brev last Feb, but it was a royal pain getting lifts up every morning and having to ski/board back down the same run every day got a bit boring, especially with the poor state of the runs, the blue run was extremely icy and the red was 'closed', although a few were ski-ing it. This year we are staying in Les Lacs for those reasons.

Conversely our friends stayed the year before (2010) and thought the runs down were brill in fresh snow.

Just trying to give you some background for your decision! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brev rocks, although I have been caught there after a few cheeky beers and been stuck, December is rarely a problem but I would never count on it, I would always take the safer option, there a heaps of good value places in VC and Lac/Lavachet, less pretty but all cats look the same in the dark no? wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a massive amount of snowmaking on the runs leading down there. It's pretty rare not to be able to ski all the way down for the whole season. The snowmaking does mean it's often icy though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, OOps - I knew one was wildly out - and believed it was 1600 - sadly the piste maps available on line dont give resort heights
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I stayed in Tignes Les Brev 2 years ago at NY and thought the runs down were one of the highlights of the whole area. the offpiste to the left is a great area and I'd love to do it again. Its a good bit cheaper but its a bit out of the main centres alright, pros and cons I guess!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy