Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

epilepsy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone here ski but suffers from epilepsy

I've just been diagnosed but worried about skiing now
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many commiserations: really bad luck. I don't know but it is an interesting question.

Going by the replies to my problem several people will probably be along soon who do know.

I expect it will depend a bit on symptoms and how well they are being controlled. Are you getting petit mal seizures? I suppose even with those you could just ski into something or off an edge while you were "absent". I can understand why you are worried.
But what do I know. Not much.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1969jma, need to know more. If you were born in 1969 you have had a CT scan and EEG? What type of Epilepsy do you have?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
? haven't the paperwork with me

The cause of epilepsy is a blood clot on the brain 1mm x 1.8mm. They are looking to remove it by injecting a chemical into the blood stream and flushing it away. No guarantee that I will no longer suffer from epilepsy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok... So three questions

1) what kind of seizures?
2) How often?
3) has the reason you had the clot been found? ie have you had carotid ultrasound or an echo?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Epilepsy - apparently a 30 sec seizure (on bus by member of public)

I've had just the one - on phenytoin to prevent further

Clot was found as result of investigation to find the cause of seizure.

Cardiology later today
Visit to another hospital pending to seek a method of removing the clot (they've talked about inserting chemical into blood stream to disperse the clot)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feel free to PM me if theres anything I can do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think stoat of the dead was asking if you have grand mal seizures (collapse and perhaps actual convulsions) or petit mal, where you are just absent from reality for a few seconds but may continue to, for example, sit or even walk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1969jma, my Bro in Law suffers as well, and he skis at least twice a year, his epilepsy was brought on after a pretty bad rugby injury, he has been fine ever since, whch was about 17 years ago.

Good luck
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had one experience taking a kid who suffered from petit mal. In the days before health & safety I decided it was worth the risk and he had a great time, only having one episode when he sank gently into the snow just ahead of me, recovering immediately. I think I would avoid precipices, however.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have epilepsy and had quite a few minor absences and a couple of big episodes (i always had small ones before big ones). since i started on medication and looking after myself a bit more i haven't had any more reoccurences. I make sure my insurance covers me and bought a helmet and don't venture out of resort in case anything does happen but been alright for quite a few years and never had a problem on mountain.

Having said that i think i was quite lucky that they found the right medication for me first time. My cousin suffers much worse than me and has been through lots of different types to try and control it but still has problems from time to time and wouldn't contemplate skiing as its too much of a risk for her.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can certainly continue to ski but there are precautions that you may need to take (ie using some kind of harness on a chair lift and ensuring that you ski with someone at all times).

They teach BASI Adaptive L2 Instructors on how to cope with Epilepsy Seizures, may be worth speaking to Disability Snowsport UK and getting the latest advice.

Hope that helps.

Mark
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

A couple of years ago I had a team member suffering from Epilepsy working a season. He was on medication and had a couple of seizures a year. He skiied with no problems wearing a helmet and as part of a group. I think his feeling was he crosses roads, walks up stairs etc so why not ski.

Just make sure that when you are skiing the people who you are with know you have epilepsy and what to do if you have a seizure . . .

Hope that helps reassure you a little?

Best wishes,
Heather
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My daughter suffers from epilepsy. She has abscence seizures (the term petit mal is a little old fashioned tbh as it tends to demean her condition). She can lose consciousness for 30 seconds at a time and can do this 20 times a day or more. Her condition is now controlled - so no biggy in the scheme of things and her medication keeps her free form seizures. She has skied for years with this condition with no problems. The thing is it depends on your type of epilepsy, of which there are lots and lots and the term epilepsy is very very general.

I am no doctor but was always reliably told from our neurologist that everyone has the capacity for one seizure and so to be diagnosed epileptic means more than one seizure. Insurance for my girl has been a nightmare though as the forms are all geared to the clonic tonic seizures. The best thing is to register with epilspsy action website as they have a great forum and they will advise and talk you through everything.
http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy