Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skins for rockered skis (WDF Director)?

Poster: A snowHead
Am looking for skins to use on both my Directors (rockered) and my Pilgrims (twin tips). I'll use the skins primarily on the Directors but will have them in my pack when skiing the Pilgrims just in case.

Saw these G3 twin tip connectors, which look like they will do the job on both pairs of skis for connecting to the tail. The question is, do I go for a skin with a loop at the front or clips?

And, will the new G3 tail clip shown here work with the twin tip connectors?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the G3 Alpinist skins and it looks as though the twin tip tail connector will just replace the cam that comes with the skins. The G3 tip clips work on any skis that don't have a plasticky type shoe at the tip. If the edge profile of the ski is continuous around the tip then no problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Kelskii. The new tail clip on the Alpinist skins look like it may slip to either side on skis with rounded tails (as opposed to touring-specific skis with a notch in the tail).

I have tried contacting G3 via their website to clarify whether that new tail clip will work but I keep failing their captcha functionality Shocked Oh, the irony...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can always file a notch into the tail of the skis for the rat tail attachment. I've seen quite a few pairs of skis like that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero-G, 40euros, before you ask. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
or cut off the tail connector and don't bother

the g3 attachments at the front work very well. much better than loops IME

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 13-11-11 15:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or 20 euros if you ask somewhere else. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gsb, best have a sweet finish. for 20 i doubt it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We must therefore be talking about different things. http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/16230 Or elsewhere £15.50
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gsb, Ah, I was referring to cutting the slot in the tail of the ski and then finishing it all nice like it was done at the factory.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just buy 'em long, fold the excess bit of the skin around the tail and stick it to the top sheet. Generally works a treat. This photo shows what I mean:

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info chaps. SMALLZOOKEEPER, if I decide on notches, I'll swing by in the xmas/new year week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G, I think you may as well go with the G3 twin tip tail clip. Looking at the one in your link, the buckle that the tail strap fixes to is just the same as the one on the standard tail fixing that comes with the skins and no need to butcher the skis. I cut a notch in my Scott Missions but they have a plastic tail piece so it was an easy job.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelskii wrote:
Zero-G, I think you may as well go with the G3 twin tip tail clip. Looking at the one in your link, the buckle that the tail strap fixes to is just the same as the one on the standard tail fixing that comes with the skins and no need to butcher the skis.

My thoughts exactly. The little flip-over clip on the skins is a bit of a red herring.

Biggest decision now is: girly G3s or standard? I just can't work out how "the unique needs of a female skier" (as described on the G3 site) are different from that of a man's with regards to skins...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G wrote:
Biggest decision now is: girly G3s or standard? I just can't work out how "the unique needs of a female skier" (as described on the G3 site) are different from that of a man's with regards to skins...

pretty colours! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
pretty colours! Madeye-Smiley

Actually, the boy skins are prettier Shocked
ski holidays
Zero-G, That's just ridiculous, we do Pomacia, bought on roll, cut to size with a choice of attachments. To my mind the best quality skin out there at the moment. Not cheap though, around 179euros per pair.
ski holidays
http://www.pomoca.com/en/qualities/adventure_glide.php
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
http://www.pomoca.com/en/qualities/adventure_glide.php

Says on the site that these skins are for "experienced ski tourers and amateur competitors." Anything for amateur tourers? wink

Whatever I go for, am going to need a set of skins for each pair of skis - their geometry is just too different to share a pair of skins between the two.
ski holidays
FWIW, I've found the Black Diamond tail clips to be absolutely fine on twins and rocker.
snow report
Zero-G, keep us posted on how the G3s work out...am enjoying free-riding on your admin, having bought a pair of Directors shortly after you!

thebongolian, dirtbag option...nice.
snow report
Pomoca FTW. Forget heavy attachments, go Arno or thebongolian route. (Nice handle thebongolian)
latest report
Should have said I nicked that post from Climbing Skins direct who are apparently very good: https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/

ChrisWo, well I have to cut corners somewhere now I've blown cash on some new skis
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy