Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Theory or Scott Punisher and Ski Length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at the Atomic Theory or the Scott Punisher for the new season.

Has anyone any experience of these? I am strong intermediate probably early advanced by the time the season is out.

I am around 76kg male, pretty aggressive style.

The thing that has me is the length of these skis, the Theory comes in 168cm or 177cm (top of my head). The punisher (not the jib flavour) in a 172cm.

Both are supposed to be great skis with the Theory a better price and even supposed to even be a decent carver.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I've seen on here those lengths will be fine... Twin tip and a bit of rocker means they "ski short", so don't be scared of the 177cm. I suspect that will be the advice other people give too.

Theory is well reviewed but I've not tried either.

I've ended up on 180's based on that sort of advice on here!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got the 182 punisher which is my every day ski. i'm 6"4 and 105kg.. though I like my mess around skis a bit shorter then my size suggests.. at around 177 then the 172 should be okay, depends what you want to do, if more soft snow and off piste, then go longer. Don't know about the Theory but 168 is probably a bit to short so i'd say the 177 would be the better fit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've tried the Punishers a couple of years ago, they were great fun and very playful - good for screwing about on and making piste days with fam/friends fun. Haven't skied the Theorys, but I *think* they're a bit stiffer and probably a bit higher performance/more of a charger (which for me would make it a better everyday ski). At 72kg I ski 176 Dynastar Big Troubles (which are similar to both, but a few seasons old) and often wish they were a bit longer - they are a twin but normal camber, so in theory the Theorys should ski even shorter with their rocker.

BTW, in plural, should the Theory ski become the Theorys or Theory's, or what? Theories can't be right 'cos it'd be changing the name... Theorys is just so wrong though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You definitely can't just stick an apostrophe in though! That would be the ultimate crime to a grammar pedant, using apostrophes when making something plural.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I was almost certain to buy the Punishers but picked up the Theory(s) in The ski shop and they are light as anything and getting some of the best reviews around. I think either way I am not going to be disappointed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've the had the 172 punisher for 3 seasons as an everyday ski. I mainly ski off piste and weigh 75kg. Really easy to ski in pretty much all conditions. Very easy to rotate on and off piste but will also carve well in good snow. Because they ski short, are light, easy to rotate and not very stiff, they are really good in tight steep spots off piste.

Two downsides I've noticed which have made me consider a change in skis. On real hardpack pistes, they don't carve well at all. They need some give in the snow to hold an edge when up on an a decent angle. Last season I hired a pair of Dynastar Sultan 85s for one day to go ski-touring with a guide when holidaying in Belle Plagne for a week. Similar waisted ski but significantly stiffer. Edge grip at slow speeds when rotating and skidding with these skis was not as good as the edges weren't as well prepared, but performance at higher speed with bigger edge angles was in a different league. On rails. A really big difference which was very noticeable when changing from my Punishers which I'd been using the rest of the week.

The other weakness I feel is doing wide GS type turns on open faces off piste in less than perfect/variable snow. They just feel too short and you have to be very careful with fore aft balance. This is the only time I feel that I could do with them being longer but in that situation, longer and possibly stiffer would be better.

Because of the above, I'm considering Atomic Theorys as my next skis, at least in 177. Not had a chance to ski them though. Sport Conrad do really good deals with bindings.
Hope this helps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tried out the punishers at xscape in glasgow in 182 and i'm only 5'8, 145lbs i managed with them surprisingly easy and went ahead and bought them(but bought the jibs in 168) as i plan on doing a lot of freestyle, and wouldn't need the stability of 182s. i found them BRILLIANT, even with poorly fitting rental boots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm 82kg and I've got the 182 Punishers, had them for a couple of years. As mentioned, because they're twins they ski shorter so don't be afraid to go long. They are a great all-rounder and do everything well, surprisingly well on-piste for a mid-fat at 89mm, but I wish I'd gone longer as they feel a bit short in deeper stuff. Just take stock of the kind of skiing you'll be doing for the next couple of seasons.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobmcstuff wrote:
You definitely can't just stick an apostrophe in though! That would be the ultimate crime to a grammar pedant, using apostrophes when making something plural.

It amazes me how many people just don't get the possessive apostrophe thing. Funnily enough my wife (who is Bulgarian, English being her second language) brought this up recently as some of her staff make this mistake regularly in their written reports. It's a pretty basic and simple concept, hardly one for grammar pedants!

So in this case the plural would indeed be Theorys as originally written. It does look wrong though I agree!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy