Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A whole month of skiing- Canada/US vs Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Looking at taking a whole month off to ski. First time ever was last season, have 8 days under my belt. Im good considering this thou NehNeh

Anyway, trying to work out where to go!!

Going alone, want to hang out with the ppl who are there for a long time- cant be bothered to go with club med et al and make new friends 4 times each time a group goes home.

So- whats it like skiing in Canada & US? How do the slopes compare? Are they a decent size?

Will the americans annoy me with their exessive cockyness (i want to be one of the cocky ones!). Or will it be easier to befriend the instructors and season skiiers if they all speak english?

Any advice would be great thanks guys Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are some 4 week programs run by a lot of the Canadian ski schools , which would fit in with gap year and trainee instructors , and would advance your skiing loads , probably plenty of these based in Europe too , eg tignes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The seppos probably won't annoy with their cockiness but don't expect to hanging with many locals on the Jackson tram or early chair on KT22. Your best bet is assorted Brit/Irish/Oz/Kiwi seasonnaires who'll you get to meet staying in a hostel in a ski town. Resorts vary enormously but at a month you may want to just fosus on one or 2 with a cheap season pass. Or if cash isn't an issue given you stage of skiing, and I don't say this easily, just get it all wrapped up in a package with one of the gap yah providers' development courses.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go to Canada, make sure you go West coast i.e. BC, Alberta. The snow is generally a lot better than in the East coast resorts and most of Europe for that matter Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski- good thoughts about the Ski schools- do you have any experience of them? Whats the age group??? Im 27- i dont want to be surrounded by 17 year olds, nor do i want to be with 50 year olds Smile

Fatbob- not expecting the locals to put up with me too much- quite open to the hostel idea- although i can afford a bit more luxary if i want.......

Indeed i will try and focus on one or two resorts and use a season pass. Gap Ya lol. Only prob with gap Ya is they will all be 18. Im 27. A mature 27 too. 22-32 would be my ideal age range.....

Thx for the info on West coast canada Monster Smile

Anyone else have any advice?? Esp taking into account my age! lol.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010, the Alps for sure. With a bit of planning and/or a decent budget you will be able to sample 5 or 6 or the worlds greatest resorts.

N American (piste) skiing is dull by comparison and you'll be bored.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Red- interesting thoughts- but Im not sure if sampling is quite right for me. As im going alone i would really like to meet some cool ppl and hang out with them. If i move around every 5 or 6 days to try different resorts- im unlikely to meet anyone for any length of time. Plus- im focussed on really improving my skiing- and its difficult to do this without some form of regular instruction- again more difficult if i move around all the time.

Is the above complete rubbish? Could i sample these large resorts from a central base?

And whats wrong with the american slopes? How about canadas?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

N American (piste) skiing is dull by comparison and you'll be bored.

Not what you really go to North America for though - if billy_boy_2010, is there for a month or so he will be skiing plenty of inbounds away from the groomers Madeye-Smiley

billy_boy_2010, Nothing wrong with North American slopes at all. Ski anywhere you like within the ski area boundary - all usually covered by your insurance Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
billy_boy_2010, the one month development courses from the gap yah providers tend to get a fair spread of ages often people of working age on sabbatical or between jobs. If you ski sort of passably they'll probably be the fastest route to progression with sustained good quality tuition. Otherwise you could do a couple of say 3 day courses with a ski school with a consolidation period between.

There's nothing wrong with US pistes (at least in the west) and in fact they are often in better condition and less crowded than Euro ones and short enough to do non-stop laps on. What you won't be able to do is cruise countless km of samey motorways or travel to far off satellite resorts with frequent drink stops which is what some like about skiing holidays NTTIAWWT.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
billy_boy_2010, some of the resorts tend to be 'one hill wonders' with lots of samey and rather artifical runs cut out of the trees. Access can be via a huge car park miles from the 'resort' itself with the resulting lack of atmosphere. Mammoth and Stowe are good examples...

I've been over there many times and it's a great holiday - just not as intense or atmospheric as the Alps. (IMV!)

Take your point about not wanting to move around... How about one of the big Colordao resorts? It's the one area over there I've never been too but the scale and variety is greater there - Vail, Aspen, Brekenridge... Not cheap though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy