Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steamboat questions

Poster: A snowHead
We have booked to go to steamboat for the 13 days over xmas, flying BA, renting an appartment 100mts from the gondola and will be collecting a hire car at denver and i have a few questions.

Hire car - i usually book all my overseas hire car through thrifty and its usually a ford escape or similar although this is not normally in snowy conditions. i was thinking of the same type this time but will this be ok for the drive from denver to steamboat or should i upgrade to the next type of SUV. also do the hire companies always put on snow tyres at that time of year?

Ski hire - seems to be very limited to rentals through steamboat.com or am i missing something with only about shops although they have quite a few locations.

lift pass - i now it is pricey but are there any ways of getting discounted tickets. almost all of the states offers sometype of discount on almost anything but not found anything that relates to steamboat lift passes although i have found a uk company that will offfer 30% on almost everything if i buy 1 day of ski school - seems to good to be true as i was already going to put daughter into ski school as she is 1st time skier.

any feedback on the abopve or any other general points on travelling to steamboat or the resort mountains etc will be appreciated.

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pauljames, Not been to steamboat for 17 years... but - lift passes... have you tried ski independence?

http://www.ski-i.com/usa/steamboat/booking/2011-12-20/12

Usually a very good way of getting discount passes. Especially if you have kids.

Going to the US is a great argument for getting your own skis. I reckon break even point is usually at about 12-13 days of US rental paying for the whole cost of the skis from somewhere doing good deals like Sport Conrad... Buy this year and it's free next year...

There are some cheap ski outlets like the Sports Authority around the place in the US. Years since I've been to Denver (before DIA opened) so not much help to you there.

Enjoy the trees!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea about Steamboat specifics - try Slidingonthecheap for Colorado deals and offers or it might be worth looking at season passses although the cheaper ones will be blacked out when you're there.

Ford Escape I think would be fine - whether hire companies put snow tyres on is very much hit and miss in US bearing in mid that most rentals are to business/domestic travellers probably driving within about a 30 mile radius of the airport. If it's typical of my last rental in Denver you'll get to choose your car from a row so pick the one with the best tyres but be prepared to stop at a Walmart or Autoparts store to buy some chains/cables. I70 is kept pretty well ploughed IIRC.

Re rentals US ski rental isn't cheap but a city based store like a Sports Authority might do a deal over a 2 week rental or probably have last years' basic skis starting at around $200 if you're not fussy. There will be plenty of ski hire places in Steamboat too t
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why fly to Denver when you really want to go to Steamboat? There's an airport at Steamboat...

It seems a waste to hire a car for a few hours each way and that's the end of the use for the car. Might be cheaper to book a transfer instead?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pauljames, are you driving directly from DIA to Steamboat? Or spending night in Denver first and making the drive in daylight? If on the BA flight, I guess that gets you in and clear by something like 7pm? Then you've got to get car so let's call it 8pm allowing for fannying around. It's a good three hours, I-70 can be horrible and the pass beyond Winter Park can be sketchy if it's dumping. All that after a long flight and at what your body tells you is 3am. Personally, I reckon first night in Denver and hit the road early - cos you'll be wide awake anyway.

I've hired many SUVs from DIA but all had summer tyres on. It's never landed me in trouble though. You do sometimes see cars all over the shop on the interstate though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
Why fly to Denver when you really want to go to Steamboat? There's an airport at Steamboat...

It seems a waste to hire a car for a few hours each way and that's the end of the use for the car. Might be cheaper to book a transfer instead?

Might not be an issue for you buying fares domestically but there can be a fairly material difference in airfares for a direct transatlantic flight and one with a local connection on the end even setting aside US airports proclivety for losing luggage. Plus with a family transfer costs add up relatively to car rental which is relatively cheap through European consolidators and gives you flexibility for supermarket shops.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

car rental which is relatively cheap through European consolidators

I would caution about the need for supplemental insurance which runs approximately $10/day. 13 days of that could be more than the seemingly low hiring cost.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks fo rall the fedback so far and i did not know about ski independance although i have checked them out at it looks good to me.

flight from uk gets in at 3.25pm so i am anticipating to be on the road by 6pm - there will be 3 of us in the car so dont see any tiredness issues, well nothing that a can of red bull wont fix rolling eyes By making the rental car booking in the uk including full insurance for all drivers at approx half of what i would pay by going direct to the airport rental sites. i have got caught out by this in phoenix wher i paid 400$ for a little tin box and 1 driver. since that occasion i have alsways been very happy with making the booking through the uk websites before arriving in the states. likely to cost in the region of $400 for an suv for 12 days and probaly will upgrade to a full size suv for another 100 or so bucks.

i have looked at options around this including connection into steamboat but it just didnt stack up timewise or on costs hence the reason for taking the hire car and driving.

one other option i am looking at is buying skis this year as we now tend to ski twice a year (renting skis) and it looks like i will have to pay approx £300 to hire skis in steamboat for their top level ski. likely to go to europe in late feb so next years skiing will be almost free of ski costs and after 2 years (4 trips) they will still have some resale value for a new pair although there is the inconveniance of lugging them throgh airports waxing etc maybe need to think on this one a little longer Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pauljames For lift passes try American ski Classics looks like a 13 day Steamboat pass will set you back a whopping £330 for adults Toofy Grin Which I think is very reasonable for the States. Book them early though as their prices do change.

Never had any problems with any SUV we have hired in the USA buyt never picked on up from Denver. Ford Escape should be ok, just make sure its an AWD not a FWD Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones, thanks for the reply.

just looked at car hire and they are selling out fast - so the websites say NehNeh anyway its a tossup between a ford escape type size or a jeep grand cheroke. i dont need the additional space/size but thought the cheroke may be better for the snowy conditions - anycolorado locals have any advice on this?

thanks to all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, Not a lot of need for supplemental insurance unless you like being over insured. CDW/LDW included in most prices, PAI etc is just a con. Do you want a sat nav only $10 a day? When I've basically got 2 roads to drive on and 1 turn to make I think I'll survive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pauljames, I find you never get the SUV you ask for. They're all shocking I think, mainly cos of the choppy gear boxes and over-light steering. Just hit and hope and charm your upgrade at the desk. Sometimes you get nudged up to the Ford Expedition size.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

pauljames, I find you never get the SUV you ask for

This can be true - they usually use those vehicles onthe website to give you an idea of what sort of size vehicle you will/can get. Yuo are basically looking at an intermediate or standard SUV. What the agent uses at your airport can be something totally different to what you think you may get.

It can also be a bit of luck too - we've had many different vehicles - best one we got was a brand new Surburban with all the toys Madeye-Smiley for the standard price. I know a couple who did a roadtrip around BC Canada ( same time we did, met em enroute ) and they were in a Ford Escape, plenty big enough for the two of them and gear for two weeks. We had some great snow too and they didnt have a problem.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
abc, Not a lot of need for supplemental insurance unless you like being over insured. CDW/LDW included in most prices, PAI etc is just a con. Do you want a sat nav only $10 a day? When I've basically got 2 roads to drive on and 1 turn to make I think I'll survive.

Not true for oversea renters!

The basic liability insurance is included. But you're responsible for any demage to the car itself. Say, if you slide into a telephone pole in the snowy road. That could easily be a few thousand dollars.

Granted, I have no idea of ground transfer cost. So it may be just breaking even.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easy thing to do is get an annual excess insurance policy anyway. Way cheaper.

abc, as fat bob says CDW etc is included on most UK purchased US rentals so it is only excesses you get stung for.
snow report
Ah, I missed the post revealing the price. That's not too different than what domestic renters get, albeit minus insurance. (domestic renters are typically covered on their own car's insurance policy)
snow report
abc wrote:
Not true for oversea renters!

I'm sorry I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. Don't compare renting through the hire car company direct with the packaged deals European consolidators can do. When I was living in Canada it was definitely cheaper for me when I needed it to rent a car through Holiday Autos than any domestic channel.
snow conditions
Hmmm

this thread seems to have evolved into a car hire thread so just for clarity it is so much cheaper to make the booking in the UK for me rather than through any US website or direct at the airport. extract below is what is included in the hire costs - only add on i need is personal insurance and the roadside assist which is about 5$/day.
Rental includes:
Unlimited Mileage, Loss/Collision Damage Waiver, Supplemental Liability Insurance, Uninsured Motorist Protection, All Taxes and Airport and Local Fees, All Additional Drivers Charges, Initial Tank of Petrol

I think that i am fully upto speed with the car except which size to go for Escape or grand cherokee.

if any one else has any info on the original questions of ski hore and lift pass to add to the info already mentioned by others it would be appreciated.

thanks
snow report
The Rocky Mountain Super Pass plus gives 6 days at Steamboat and unlimited at Copper and Winter Park. There is also a new Colorado Triple Play pass that covers Steamboat, Aspen and Winter Park- 2 days each for 299
ski holidays
Do you really need a rental if you are going to be in Steamboat the whole time? Check http://www.goalpine.com/ for transfers.
snow report
Haven't been for 12 years, arrival of kids limited long travel, so can't really comment.

But enjoy Cool

If you can get a spare afternoon, go out to Strawberry Park hot springs and (if still there) the Wild West steak house. And have a pitcher of marguritas in Ptarmigan Inn for me
snow report
Quote:

although there is the inconveniance of lugging them throgh airports

Most airports offer marvellous devices called baggage trolleys Toofy Grin They really are a boon to the weary skier!
latest report
Thanks fo rall the feedback on this - i now have a different question.

i have looked at all options of rent v buy skiis and decided to rent. so my question is do the rental shops in the states or more specifically steamboat allow you to change skiis on a regular basis. most european skii shops i have rented from are happy to do this and gicve an overnight service to skiis and was wondering if this is the same in stemboat too.

thnaks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy