Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great video of Ted Ligety in the slalom gates

Poster: A snowHead
I love this video. Ted the Shred with a backpack-mounted helmet cam. For those who have never skied in slalom gates it gives a feel for just how quickly everything happens, and how violent the whole process is. Also look at how stable his shoulders are compared to how much his skis are turning - brilliant separation.

Ted Ligety Go Pro Slalom from Ted Ligety
http://vimeo.com/31862220
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would be nice to see alongside regular footage of the same runs. Would be nice to know how much is happening automatically/by feel with the feet as his head/vision doesn't seem to drop at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wow hadn't realised how they really do "bat" the poles away.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
Yes, that's what shocked me first time I skied slalom. You are travelling so fast (although obviously nowhere near as fast as Ligety!) that you come on to the gates within the blink of an eye, and while they are spring-loaded they certainly don't fold out of your way automatically. They really do need a powerful block with your arms so they don't impeded your progress.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski,
Quote:

Call me Mr Picky - but I don't see him 'batting' the gates away. I do see him using his stick as a guard or block - but his is not hitting them out of the way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Picky is right. It's a block not a punch. He never fully extends his arms, just allows the gate to come on to them and blocks them away.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the sequence of gates that come upon him quite quickly it does appear to me that there is a forward motion in his arm, so more of a block, but in some cases he is pushing away from his body with his arm....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizeroux SL FIS "High Speed Vidéo" Val Thorens from myskiroom
http://vimeo.com/29270937
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, trouble with hitting the poles away as opposed to blocking them at lesser than god like speeds is the pole has time to hit the deck, bounce back and whack you in the thigh/backside before you have gone passed it, ouch!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fabulous camera angle to show his core strength and upper body stability. It is pretty to watch snowHead

A new set of Slalom race skis has just gone up a notch on the wanted list!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These videos are making me HOT.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 6-01-12 11:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Notice the inside tip lead through each turn.

Hi my old snowheads friends, been a while since I've stopped by. Hope you're all having a good season on the snow. I've organized a big get together at Breckenridge in a few weeks. If any of you are in the neighborhood, stop in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW, spot on with the blocking vs hitting observation. If you're significantly reaching to clear the gate, you're rotating. A no-no.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastMan wrote:

Yep, something I've been trying to work on since my last session with Rob. Sometimes during transitions I a-frame slightly, if my tracks are clearly defined it is possible to pick out exactly where some of the transitions took place. Been doing a lot of inside leg work, so hopefully there has been some improvement.

The problem with me actively thinking about the inside leg leading, is that it causes me to put weight on it on ccassion!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
c0Ka|Ne,
Quote:

The problem with me actively thinking about the inside leg leading, is that it causes me to put weight on it on ccassion!

Dont actively think about it !! Inner tip lead and counter for you should not be an active move and "trying" to do this will just cause you to scissor and sit on the inside leg... Remember what we worked on, stand taller with less knee flex and let the skis go further from the body, let the hip drop in and dominate the outside leg. This will increase your edge angles and counter will naturally develop. remember the J turns we did and the power that you developed ? that is what you should be trying to feel
ski holidays
Drill Drill Drill.. Got it. See you on Sunday wink
ski holidays
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
FastMan wrote:

Yep, something I've been trying to work on since my last session with Rob. Sometimes during transitions I a-frame slightly, if my tracks are clearly defined it is possible to pick out exactly where some of the transitions took place. Been doing a lot of inside leg work, so hopefully there has been some improvement.

Your Coach is right, inside tip lead should simply be an outcome, not a focus. It's an outcome of counter and the shortening of the inside leg that comes from edge angle development. Counter is created at the pelvis, that's where the focus should be, not the skis. The inside ski will lead, because it bio-mechanically has to if you counter and tip. For arc to arc turns, or even cleanly initiated steered turns, the counter of the old turn needs to be quickly eliminated during the transition, and the small amount of counter needed for the start new turn established. It's done by driving the new inside hip (downhill hip) forward and down the hill during the transition. I call the move the "Pelvic Shift". A good way to imagine the move is to envision yourself standing at the center of a clock face, facing 12 o'clock. If you're transitioning into a right turn you drive your right hip towards 1:30, and if transitioning into a left turn you drive your left hip towards 10:30. Viola, you'll instantly be forward and in a solid position to begin the new turn.

That early counter created by the Pelvic Shift helps roll the skis on edge and puts you in a position to easily angulate so you can stay outside ski balanced as your body projects down the hill and you tip onto edge. The amount of required counter at the beginning of the turn is small, then grows in harmony with the increase in edge angle as you proceed through the turn.

Along with doing the Pelvic Shift during the transition, tip your downhill knee (new inside knee) down the hill and into the new turn as your body crosses over your skis. It eliminates the inside leg's tendency to block the smooth flow of the Center of Mass across the ski, and actually serves to help the process along by pulling the Center of Mass into the new turn. It also ensures both skis get tipped on edge to similar edge angles so the ski work together in helping you begin the new turn.

Finally, as you're Pelvic Shifting, and inside knee tipping, strive to keep your shoulders level as you tip into the new turn. That's the angulation that will allow you to stay outside ski balanced as you tip, keeping you from falling onto your inside ski.

Do all that and your inside tip will be leading through your turns, just like Ted's was. You don't have to think about the inside ski at all, and shouldn't. Focus instead on the things I've mentioned above.

Good Turns,
Rick
latest report
FastMan, "right hip towards 1.30" wow!
latest report
FastMan, good to see you back !!

As always very clear and well described. The only thing i dont quite get from your explanation is that in my mind i see the pelvic shift move happening at the start of a new turn during and using what you would term ILE.

At the end of a turn our hips are not square but at its most countered, with inner tip lead as a natural consequence and it is a little confusing (to me at least) to use the 12 oclock imagery. Are you saying 12 oclock in the fall line or at the end of one turn and before the start of a new turn?

I would tend to say to a client that at the end of a turn we are at our most countered and as we extend the old inside leg and roll onto the big toe edge we want to get the hips square to the skies and moving down the hill.

Are we saying the same thing ? snowHead
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Are you saying 12 oclock in the fall line or at the end of one turn and before the start of a new turn?
12 O'Clock along the line of momentum, surely?
snow report
skimottaret, rob@rar, right, that's the first time in a lo-o-o-ng while that I have absolutely no idea what either of you is talking about. Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Pedantica, sorry, Tech Alert! wink
latest report
rob@rar, be my guest wink
snow report
FastMan, hello there, good to see you. Will think about pelvic shift when out tomorrow.....
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
skimottaret, rob@rar, right, that's the first time in a lo-o-o-ng while that I have absolutely no idea what either of you is talking about. Shocked Laughing

I will take that as a compliment Toofy Grin , first time in ages there has been any tech talk on SH's and we do TRY to keep in non techy on the hill...
snow report
skimottaret, yes, you may indeed take it as a compliment. Bye for now. Shocked
latest report
Pedantica, Laughing
ski holidays
Hi rob@rar, Skimottaret, and Pam. Thanks for the greetings. Hope you're having a good season. Snows a bit thin here so far, but not giving up hope for a turn around.

To clear up, the 12 o'clock reference is the direction the skis are pointing during the transition between turns.

The Pelvic Shift works well with ILE, just as you suggest, Skimottaret, and takes place though the entire transition, beginning as the skis are rolling off edge from the old turn, and continuing through the time they're rolling back on edge for the start of the new turn. Yes, we want to get back to square with the old turn counter reduced or eliminated by the time of edge angle neutral during the transition, then have slight new counter created by the time of new turn initiation, or shortly thereafter.

Sounds like we are saying basically the same thing. Cool beans.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastMan, thanks for the clearly, detailed response, great for visualising what needs to be done!

I think rob@rar and skimottaret will testify: I am winning the battles (well... sometimes wink) just not the war!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy