Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

newbie goggle/sunnies questions

Poster: A snowHead
hi guys,

I'm new to skiing this year and off on my first holiday this coming January. Got most of my gear now except goggles/sun glasses... My dilemma is that im not exactly sure what to buy, but would like to cover most weather situations for a reasonable price.

I was thinking of getting a pair of bolle nova modulator in vermillion for low to mid light conditions and then a pair of sunglasses for bright conditions.

My questions is, would i be better getting a second set of goggles with a dark mirror finish instead of goggles?
And is a set of nova modulators a good choice to start off with??

Many thanks,

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomb, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Will you be wearing a helmet? I only ask because generally most helmet wearers use goggles whatever the weather. Still useful to have sunnies for beers on the terrace, but they don't have to be anything fancy.

As for goggles, I ski all the time in the same ones, rain or shine (Bollé, as it happens). Why not just go with the ones you suggest, then wait and see how it goes, and only get another pair if there's some problem, in-resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers... Very Happy

No i wont be wearing a helmet this time...

Im definitely gonna get the bolle nova modulator, i was just thinking that if the weather is really sunny then the modulator lens just wouldn't cut it and it could ruin my week! The reason i was not planning on buying out there is because ive been told that the resort is super expensive and didnt want to fork out more than i have too!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One set of goggles is fine.

Don't know the Bollé ones (but Bollé make good stuff). Can't go wrong with an Oakley O-Frame + persimmon lens.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just get a second darker lens for the same pair of goggles, they're interchangeable
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like the ability to have both (sunnies and goggles), for what it's worth. I find goggles slightly too warm and a tad restrictive/claustrophic sometimes. Sunnies are cooler (thermally) since more of your face is exposed when your moving and the air is against more of your face [obviously]; I much prefer them when the sun's shining and the conditions are postcard-like. When it's blowing a hoolie / snowing / omg pelting-it-down-wow, I love the protection/invincible feeling that goggles can give you.

I'm not sure about tints to be honest (I think this is a new thing, and I've not had a play around with the various options yet). BUT - I think the light can vary SO much when you're out and about on the mountain so trying to predict what conditions you'll get is likely to leave you wanting whatever option you go for, unless you buy 3 - 4 sets! E.g. You could have a pair be crap most of the time, but awesome in one really difficult set of conditions where everyone else is struggling [maybe like a whiteout or weird early light] which really endears you to them / want to keep them forever, or conversely you could have a pair of something that are great 90% of the time and 10% of the time you're a bit screwed.

I find my goggles (Oakley I think; orange tint but not reflective, you can see my eyes) in the latter category and sometimes it can get a bit hairy, but it's not like these things grow on trees. I used to take a pair of cheapo black only UVA/UVB sunglasses (£3 and 10 Chewitts vouchers as I recall ; I was about 15 at the time :shy:) as a beginner, assuming I would land on them and break them in my pocket. Taking expensive glasses kinda forces you to wear them or be extra careful (goggles are tough though and will take more of a beating). Also really expensive sunnies / Oakley polymer jobbies should be able to take some abuse so might be ok. My Animal £30 sunnies with orange tint do the job and have been fixed up more times than a steel pipe in an A-team props bin but that's another story.

It should be said that getting UVA/UVB stars to whatever the modern limit is is essential too. On snow you gotta ensure that your eyes are 100% protected from all types of harmful stuff, it comes at you from all angles.

It'd be worth seeing what people say about tints to be honest, I imagine it's not a fad, but something that's quite practical/easy to sort and quite good to consider. I could be wrong on that; people may have spent their hard-earned on tinted products said to be good in certain light conditions and found them lacking... Sorry I can't help on that!! I'm sticking with my crappy Animal sunnies, my carrera sunnies, and my crappy £30 goggles for the PSB Smile I like to be able to break things Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi tomb, welcome to snowheads. I've got a pair of bolle nova goggles with the vermillion modulator lens. I've only used them for a week, but so far I've found them pretty versatile and fine for me in anything other than very bright light - I've got another pair of goggles for bright conditions. I used to wear a £30 pair of Bloc sunglasses in anything other than low light, but I've now got a helmet and they won't fit under it.

With sunglasses it's best to have a lens tint that particularly blocks blue light, it makes it easier to see the contours of the snow - mine are dark amber.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As you are going on a January trip, it's likely to be way too cold for sunnies unless you have a face like asbestos.

JaMMi, What you talkin' about Willis? *tints, new thing??*
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The goggles vs sunnies decision is a very personal one and on the internet you will get lots of versions of what other individual people chose to do.

The only hard facts are that in a white out its handy to have something that keeps the snow out of your eyes and that on a sunny day it is very bright.

In the end you can only decide what you prefer and you can't really do this until after you have been to the mountains for the first time. For a first timer you can't really go far wrong with a cheap pair of sunnies and a cheap pair of goggles. It will cover all eventualities, get you though the week and allow you to decide what suits you best for next time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tomb, you might not like skiing though Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just bought a new pair of amber tint goggles from LIDL. Got the blue tint ones last year which were excellent and at £7.99 what outstanding value for a perfectly functional pair of goggles.....I know I am a cheapskate!!

Have to agree that the sunglasses only ever came out when sat having a break or lunch as my eyes water too much when I'm flying along at maximum velocity 10 - 15mph Laughing Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I watched an Oakley rep's presentation recently concerning their eyewear and found it very impressive. The physical protection levels were demoed by shooting ball-bearings and dropping heavy steel spikes on the goggles; they even showed one pair of sunglasses that had been shot by a shotgun and held up pretty well. They also concentrated on optical performance, and showed the distortion that some brands introduced in contrast to the lack of distortion produced by their own lenses. I'm not completely converted without seeing similar materials from other companies, but I was impressed, and I'd certainly be happy paying their top-dollar prices in the future. Bit late for me though, I'm already kitted out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the input guys...

I went and bought a set of bolle nova vermillion modulators and got them for £25 so I'm happy with that!! Should cover most low light to mid light conditions.

Also I've got £90 to spend on a set of sun glasses.. Does anyone have any recommendations?? Would I need a pair with a foam frame? Or would I be better buying a set with interchangeable lenses??

I also might get a dark lens for my bolle goggles if I have any change out of the sunglasses as someone mentioned because they're interchnageable too apparently!?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:
As you are going on a January trip, it's likely to be way too cold for sunnies unless you have a face like asbestos.

Well nowadays there's like a gazillion kinds of tint with each type covering different conditions, I thought anyway :shy: E.g. One for low light, then another for bright direct light, one for slightly indirect, from behind a mountain when it's -3 and you have itchy socks type light, etc. I think OP was asking whether the tint he's picked might have a nice complement tint (to give him good coverage of conditions).

I'm with the go-for-the-cheapest-option-you-can group personally; assuming they genuinely keep out the damaging rays, and aren't utterly hideous... Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb, you can replace lenses on the Nova, but I don't think they're designed for regularly swapping lenses - I could be wrong though.

You'd be fine with an inexpensive pair of sunglasses with fixed lenses. The ones I used to use are the Bloc Stingray - I also used them for cycling.
snow report
JaMMi wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Well nowadays there's like a gazillion kinds of tint with each type covering different conditions, I thought anyway :shy: E.g. One for low light, then another for bright direct light, one for slightly indirect, from behind a mountain when it's -3 and you have itchy socks type light, etc. I think OP was asking whether the tint he's picked might have a nice complement tint (to give him good coverage of conditions).

I'm with the go-for-the-cheapest-option-you-can group personally; assuming they genuinely keep out the damaging rays, and aren't utterly hideous... Wink

Oh, so you just meant interchangeable lenses like Oakley et al have had for decades. Sorry I was thrown by your 'new thing' comment. IME you just need a couple of these lens tints to cover most conditions adequately.
snow report
They didn't have this many tints back in the 90s : http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints !!
latest report
Quote:

Also I've got £90 to spend on a set of sun glasses.. Does anyone have any recommendations??

Yes. STOP. You have enough equipment. Seriously, if you stop now you may be able to afford an extra ski trip this season.

latest report
palumbex wrote:
Quote:

Also I've got £90 to spend on a set of sun glasses.. Does anyone have any recommendations??

Yes. STOP. You have enough equipment. Seriously, if you stop now you may be able to afford an extra ski trip this season.

With regards to that, I've spent £400 on the holiday, a week in serre chavalier (all inclusive), £35 on a coat ( good deal as it was £200 last season), £25 on adidas salopettes, and £25 on goggles. So I dont think I've gone overboard really??! I hae the rest anyway (thermals, mid layer etc). Also the £90 is a birthday present as my birthday is fast approaching, and sun glasses are the only piece of kit I intend to purchase that are not ski specific, which I would re-use in the summer either cycling or playing golf or just general wear, and that's why I plan to spend good money on them.
ski holidays
Oakley. Oakley. Oakley.

This is my personal opinion but I messed about with all sorts of other stuff before buying sunglasses and the Stockholm goggles. Two seasons in with them and they are both great.
latest report
Wouldn't spend 90 quid. I'd go with something like a Julbo Dolgan that you can pick up with cat 3 or 4 lenses for around 40 quid and call it good. Cat 4 will be great at altitude in bright light and is, bluntly, mandatory if you are spending a lot of time skiing on glaciers high up but will be too dark elsewhere. Sizing really matters here - you want the things to stay in place and to minimise gaps between face and the frame. I'd go into somewhere like Cotswold Outdoor and try a few pairs on.

I've got the Adidas Elevation for ski touring, which cost a fortune owing to my need for a prescription pair but otherwise have never seen the point in buying expensive sunglasses.
snow conditions
tomb,
Fair point. You look to have got some great bargains there. When you say £400 all inclusive, do you mean catered chalet accommodation or something more?

I was in Serre Che. last January for the first time and I absolutely loved it. A great choice for a first ski trip. It is truly beautiful place.

snow report
yeah thinking about it will just go for a £40 pair of sunnies and put the rest towrds something else....

palumbex - The £400 is accommodation in hotel, food & drink/alcohol, ski pass, flights, and some lessons out there if i want them... really cant wait!!
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
yeah thinking about it will just go for a £40 pair of sunnies and put the rest towrds something else....

palumbex - The £400 is accommodation in hotel, food & drink/alcohol, ski pass, flights, and some lessons out there if i want them... really cant wait!!

1. where the hell did you get that price from???? That's amazing!!!

2. If there are free lessons, take them (depending how good the instructor is), unless you're an expert there's always something they will help you to improve.
snow report
Oh, by the way, for cheap goggles and/or sunglasses, check this website out; I got a pair of Ionized Dragon MACE's from here for £60...

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/

They do some very cheap Oakley sunnies on here
snow conditions
My sister-in-law runs a 6th form school ski trip every year, they go in term time and get good discounts for mass bookings. we're just tagging along.

I've only ever skied on dry slope, done 2 hours a week for about 4 weeks now, i know its not the same as the real thing but im hoping i can go over there and just get away with a day or 2 of familiarization to snow:D Even when were done with the lessons we have guides to take us around the mountain depending on your level you get put into different groups.
ski holidays
tomb,

Brilliant deal, you are very lucky. I would say definitely make use of the lessons and the guide. Believe me, with a guide you will ski a lot more. No endless perusal of maps, no wondering what is over the next brow and not too much stopping for tiredness. I always find that guides push your endurance an extra 20%.

Tell the ski school, when they ask, that you have been on a weeks ski holiday last year. You don't want to be in with complete beginners. Eight hours on dry slopes will get you up to level 2, assuming that they use a four level system.
snow report
Yeah will do thanks.. Very Happy

And by the time January arrives it will be more like 25ish hours on dry slope, depending on whether i make every weekend from now untill my holiday snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have any of you seen this brand of sunglasses?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/adult-sunglasses-sunglasses-binoculars-accessories_21_0.html

Are they any good???
latest report
Decathlon stuff is cheap and cheerful but works just fine
ski holidays
Hey there tomb, sounds like you got a great deal, and like others have said Serre Che is a great resort - you'll love it.

As far as sunnies goes try to get something that fits quite close to your eyebrows and nose. If you have a dirty great gap (think 'aviators') as you pick up speed the wind will whistle in and you'll be crying your eyes out in no time. As far as colours go I always tend more towards ambers and browns. I have found greys and blues can make the terrain look a bit 'flat' but that's a personal thing. The other thing is to buy some that you'll wear normally as well - better value for money that way.........
ski holidays
If you are going to go budget tomb head off to lidl pronto, just picked up a pair of their sunnie/google combo thingies http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_25918.htm and they look at least as good as the twice the price Rayzors from Amazon I've used over the last couple of years but keep loosing!
ski holidays
Could you add some photos davkt, those are a bargain but look like they're possibly a bit pants in the flesh??
ski holidays
davkt, I just got some of those from Lidl also. Needed new sunnies so thought I'd give them a go. Very pleased. When I win the lottery I have no doubt I'll invest in better quality kit but for now Lidl makes skiing with a family of four affordable.
latest report
Funny you should recommend those... i actually bought some today Very Happy

They seem fine... i uploaded some photos of them also;

https://plus.google.com/photos/115159364295639907435/albums/posts?hl=en

hope that link works??

Also got some socks and other stuff, it was all so cheap!!!
latest report
Thanks, great photos so I won't upload any as there is nothing more to show, the 3 sets of lenses are a pair each of Cat 1, 3, and 4 so pretty much everything covered.
ski holidays
Thanks both ; the kit looks really good... Now I need to find a lidl near me... Hmmmm

Ps - what are the categories people keep mentioning? ("cat 1" etc)
latest report
http://www.shadestation.co.uk/lens-categories.html

Basically 3 and 4 is for on the snow in bright sun, 1 for those horrible dull flat light days (and the amber/orange tint will help boost contrast)
snow report
Beginners Guide to Buying Goggles

http://www.vision3k.com/beginners-guide-to-buying-goggles.asp
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy