Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer from Venice to Selva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Family of 4, we're spending a few days in Venice before looking to transfer to Selva on Saturday 7th January, I'm looking for transfer options from Venice downtown or the airport.

I've found private transfers but are there any direct coach services ?

i guess the train could also be an option but I'm worried about how long this would take with 2 impatient teenagers in tow.

We also then have to get back to Venice Marco Polo the following Saturday for a flight back to Bali in the mid afternoon.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will stand corrected on this, but most previous posts appear to suggest there is no direct bus route, meaning a bus to another resort then lengthy taxi journey or alternatively train and bus, all of which would entail a fair amount of inconvenience with teens in tow. Why not just hire a car? I would imagine it would work a lot out cheaper than a private taxi. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowInBall, we did the train thing a couple of years ago, Venice Mestre to Verona (went v quickly), and Verona to Bozen (longer, but a lovely ride through masses of vineyards.) We were thinking of getting a bus from Bozen but gave up and got a taxi for this last stretch - 90 euros and 50 mins from memory. If you ride a couple of stops further on the train to Waidbruck it's a bit closer to Selva. We did think about car hire from Venice but if the conditions were bad you would need snow chains for the last stretch so couldn't be bothered with the hassle. Did a similar journey last year but from Bologna. Kids weren't bored ; perhaps because the journey was in three shortish legs rather than one slog.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnowInBali, It is a problem with Sella Ronda resorts - no easy transfer except a cab
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowInBali, Have you already booked for Selva ? If you went to Arabba then there's a cheap direct bus service from both Venice airports providing you book with one of the affiliated hotels or B&B's. There's a wide selection. The transfer is 30 Euro return per person, with kids under 2 going free and you are also allowed one child free for every child under 12 years of age.

http://www.dolomitistars.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=228

You can get round to Selva on skis fairly quickly if you want to ski there. Personally I prefer Arabba anyway, as it's smaller and quieter.

Just thought it was worth mentioning, as the other transfer options can make staying in Selva seem a hassle.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great info thanks !

Pokeman - yes unfortunatly we've booked hotels already so we're commited to Selva. Mrs SnowinBali doesn't ski evey day so we thought Selva might be better than Arraba. I had no idea how difficult it would be to get there though . Live and learn !

Mfamily2 - yes car hire is now a serious option although I think I read somewhere that rental places don't supply snow chains which may mean we may not even get to Selva if we went that route ? Shock

Pjd - I think the train may work one way but for the return to Venice I think its going to be impossible as our flight leaves in the afternoon.

Options so far as i see it are

1. Taxi / Private transfer @ 650 Euros return Shocked I've just posted our trip at http://www.ski-transfers.com to see if anything turns up there.

2. Train/ Bus to Selva then Private transfer / Taxi back

3. Car Hire - does anyone know if there are any car hire firms that supply chains in Venice ? If i can get chains, I guess this would most likely be the best option.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowInBali, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
As regards option 3, I've not hired a car from Venice airport in Winter, but I have in the autumn via auto europe and was pleased with their service, so it might be worthwhile enquiring of them about snow chains. It could be useful having a car with you anyway eg based in Selva it's a bit of a long day on skis to get to do the Hidden Valley run (which you definitely don't want to miss!) but with a car you could drive to Lagazuoi and do both the Hidden Valley and 5 Torri area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowInBali, train time from Bozen to Venice Mestre is generally 3.5 hours or so including the waiting time at Verona and they leave every hour. so you should be able to do it with taxis either end.

We hired a car once from Venice to go to Cortina. I think getting snow chains was fine (the car hire companies will list these as an optional extra on their website towards the end of the booking process if they do them). I don't think any of them did winter tyres though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you plan on using the train/bus option then make sure there is a bus that leaves Selva early enough in the morning to take you to the train station at Ponte Gardena (Waidbruck) so that you can catch a train that will get you to Venice on time. If your flight is early afternoon then I would seriously think about hiring a car. With train and bus you have to also allow for the time it takes to get you from the train station in Venice to the airport.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could hire a car and pick up some chains on the way if you need them. Should only be about €50 for cheap chains that you'd only use once.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Using the link I posted above, I've been receiving transfer quotes from about 10 different companies. Quotes received so far are 520 Euros to 980 Euros ( Shocked ) door to door return
520 euros is only about 100 above the cost of car hire I've found so I'm now thinking of going this route to avoid the hassles of picking up a car in Venice down town and worrying about chains.

Going to shop around a bit more for hire car pricing and will report back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowInBali, Hassle free could be worth the extra dosh with teenagers in tow, you are after all on holiday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Your Hotel can usually recommend the cheapest Taxi.
My taxi to Arabba this January will be €460 for 6 of us, but from Treviso (Easyjet's cheapo version of Venice) which is a little bit closer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Selva/Val Gardena transfers are available from Verona, Bergamo & Innsbruck airports for €25 single/€39 return with Terravision, but sadly no good for the OP.

http://www.terravision.eu/index.html?gclid=CL_irtTav6wCFZJc4Qod8FpcrQ
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look on the collettes web site, they do transfers, never used them, just noticed it the other day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy