Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stiffening up some Scarpa Matrix Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any tips on stiffening up a pair of Scarpa Matrix boots?

I'd like a bit more umph on the down so what do I need to do? Replace the tongue and if so, with what and where from?

Any info greatly appreciated, I'm attempting to convince myself I don't need new boots.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do the boots have a tongue liner or an overlap liner? Overlap liners are stiffer.

Add a Booster strap.

Add a spoiler (I bought my spoiler from smallzookeeper's shop)

Fit a Raichle Flexon tongue (if you can find one on ebay)

Fit some Scarpa Tornado tongues (maybe, I'm not sure about that mod)

More info in this article....

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/177355-AT-boot-upgrade?s=237001d62cf4c753b459b0694d7db5d7
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and here

http://www.wildsnow.com/tips/lazer_mod.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 on the booster strap, 3 levels available (intermediate/advanced | Expert | World Cup) but depending on your weight and ski technique the expert may be the best bet, a world cup might give a little too much rebound that you don't always want when touring. Easy to 'turn off' when hiking the buckle is easy to release, just get someone like us to rivet it in the boot so you can run tightened up or loose without hassles.

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
galpinos wrote:
Any tips on stiffening up a pair of Scarpa Matrix boots?

I'd like a bit more umph on the down so what do I need to do? Replace the tongue and if so, with what and where from?

Any info greatly appreciated, I'm attempting to convince myself I don't need new boots.

what width skis are you using? which bindings?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMHO, you're wasting your time attempting this. Mrs A has some Scarpa Magics which are the ladies version. Watching her ski in them I can observe that:
1) the cuffs are very short so that most of her flex is from leg that is outside the boot
2) the shells are very soft and distort easily

I'd flog 'em and start again - sorry!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis, +1 the problem adding a Stiff Grey Denali tongue or another 3 piece stiff mod is that the Clog is softer material and will distort. This area of the market is now massively improved, weight, flex and general use is getting closer year by year to a genuine Alpine boot. Read Garmont Shogun for example. The walk mode is and has always been an accident waiting to happen, we pulled the Matrix out of our range over 5 years ago due to failure whilst in the BC.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the responses guys, though the last two answers are not what I wanted to hear!

I’m trying to sort out my ski kit. Since stopping seasons in 2005 I've not bought anything. As such I'm left with:

Boots:
Lange Comp 120 - totally packed inner and cracked shell.
Scarpa Matrix - Great skinning up, great for climbing, a little soft for skiing.

Skis:
Dynastar Course 66 – 2003/4 vintage
Movement Pow Pows – I’m never selling these, too many good memories
Atomic Beta Rides with Dynafiddles

I’m no longer a ski bum but a desk bound dreamer with weak legs and no goggle tan. I’m basically hoping to sell everything (bar the pow pows) as I’m aiming for a one boot/ski quiver and was hoping to make the Matrix last so I didn’t have to buy skis, bindings, skins and boots all in one season. My winters consist of a week (resort with off-piste and maybe a day tour) in the alps and a couple of Scottish trips (touring/gullies). Skiing Aladdin’s and Jacob’s last year was fun but I’d have liked to ski them a bit faster and the Matrix/Betaride combo didn’t inspire large GS turns. I was hoping for a beefier set up for this winters trips.

I’m thinking of getting a 90-95 waisted ski with F12s and a freeride touring boot in the long run, just trying to spread the pain to the wallet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right, sorry to resurrect this thread but as I’ve basically been told to burn my Martixs ……..

Has anyone got any opinions on the Scarpa Maestrale as a replacement? Stiff enough as a do it all boot? TGR and various other sites seem to rate them.

Any other opinions?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
galpinos, if it fits it's an awesome boot. My missus has the ladies version.

There are some great options for you, you mention your Langes are cracked so why not get a single pair of boots that can have tech & DIN soles... Titans etc etc...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wot Parlor said.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
galpinos wrote:
Right, sorry to resurrect this thread but as I’ve basically been told to burn my Martixs ……..

They are a good match for the Atomic's you have but anything over 80mm tends to overpower them. Lots of people around these parts still use them mind.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
galpinos, i got some titans and really liked the liners as they heat moulded well to my feet but although they say they are 120 flex they feel a LOT softer than my old 120 lange boots... Also am having continuing problems with the seam that runs along the back of the liner causing a lot of pain on my archilles...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not skied them yet but I've just got a pair of Dalbello Virus boots, good walk mode and they feel like they're going to have a nice flex for the downhill.

The Scarpa Maestrale just didn't seem as good a fit for my foot shape but certainly felt reasonably stiff in the shop. I don't see that you'd go particularly wrong with either as long as they're properly fitted.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy