Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski suggestions please...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All!

I know this gets asked a lot but I'd appreaciate some suggestions for skis and ski lengths...

This season will be my 4th week skiing, have done one week per season for past 3 years. I'm hoping to make it 3 weeks this season so decided to invest in skis (bought boots last season). Last time out ski'd an Atomic (can't remember name) at 176.

Me: 35, Male, 193cm/6'4", 97kg/15.5 stone, generally fit and athletic

My Skiing: Last season it kind of clicked, mostly parallell turns, mostly blue runs with a few reds, mostly on piste, a little off piste and a little in the parks (great fun! Smile)

Ambition: To generally improve and have fun on and off piste (but not 'off' off piste!). I ski with mixed group so plenty of opportunity to push as hard as I can.

Ski thoughts: Two friends ski on and rave about the older Salomon teneighty twin tip. I've recently asked about this in the Classified section and recomendations have been the Salomon Lord and Suspects.

Question(s): What other ski's should I be considering? Should I go for more of a piste ski or is an all mountain ski a good idea? What length would be most suitable? Anthing else I've negelected to consider?

I'll be planning to buy used initially so happy to buy & sell/experiment my way to a better ski if I get a season or two's use out of anything i buy.

Thanks very much for your time and help - it's much appreciated! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd think about where you are going to be skiing in the next couple of seasons. If you can qualify "a little off piste" and park time as how many days in a normal week long trip you expect to be off piste, whether you are skiing on piste and just heading off piste when opportunity presents itself, or spending a lot of time in the park.

If you are skiing 90% on piste with the odd foray off piste, and the odd play in the park, I'd suggest getting a piste ski and on the occasions you want to go off piste (or when conditions are ideal for it) just rent a ski for the day. That ski can quite often double up as a park ski with reasonably width and edges aren't as important.

As a start point, I'd consider http://k2skis.com/skis/all-mountain/rictor - a piste based ski (though K2 call it all mountain, 80mm underfoot is definitely at the piste end of the scale for most people) however it will have just enough float to allow the odd play off the side of the piste. I love K2 skis, always have, so I'm biased in that direction. If I was in the same position as you this is what I would buy, and then rent a 90mm ski for the odd day of play.

It seems like madness to buy a ski based on what you do for the smallest amount of time. Your friends may be advising the teneightys for park use, but for someone with 4 weeks on the snow trying to handle a park or very wide ski on piste may be a step too far.

Whatever you do, go and try out some skis. A good option is to find a good shop with a range on offer for your next ski trip, and try out 2 or 3 different skis through the week. You will soon narrow down the list and also gives you an idea of what you enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply Monium.

'A little off piste' = just heading (slightly) off piste when the opportunity presents itself. 90% on piste at the moment. Good idea to rent for a day if needed.

I'll check out the K2 Rictor. Generally what would you suggest for length? I've been advised approx. 10m under height so looking around 180?

Cheers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At your height and experience, I'd be looking at the 181 really (it is that or 174, which will soon be too short for someone your height and weight)

Other one I'll throw in the mix for you is the Dynastar Legend Sultan 80. Same width, slightly different ski. Also worth considering, I've been impressed enough by Dynastar in the last few months to buy a pair over my beloved K2s.

I think you'll probably find yourself doing a fair few weeks more before really going full scale off piste. An 80mm waist will mean you don't lose piste performance, but will give you enough for the occasional foray. If you are planning a day with people who can take you off safely or you want to go that way more permanently, you'll inevitably be ok to hang on to a good quality piste orientated ski - there's generally always trips (or conditions) where it will be more piste than not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you liked park, fancy a bit more off piste or just like dicking around i'd look at a nice mid fat twin.. Scott punisher..i'm pretty much the same stats as you and these are my everyday skis and are great for everything..if you want to go for the more charge about all mountain ski then the Fisher watea and Dynastar sultan ranges are well worth a look. Line Prophet 90s also a cracking ski..

lengthwise don't be affraid to lo0k at mid to late 180s either..though personally I like my general fun skis a bit shorter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Monium and papasmurf!

I've been looking at the Punisher, I'll check the other suggestions too.

I'll also be sure to try 180+

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy