Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bunion operation - recovery time

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone out there returned to skiing after an operation to remove a bunion by breaking and repositioning the metatarsal? If so, how long was it till you got back on the slopes?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think it took my mother in law about 6 weeks before she was able to wear nice shoes again, not sure how that translates to skiing though, she has been since, within a year of the op, and had no problems!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BigChas, a friend of mine is just about to have hers done and she's been told that she will be out of commission for 6 weeks. That's for easy walking, not skiing. I'm guessing that, once you can actually get your ski boot on, you'll be fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just remember to see a podiatrist after and get orthotics made.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Just remember to see a podiatrist after and get orthotics made.

+1 to the above, amazing how many people we see who have had surgery and are walking around without any support
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey, thanks for the replies so far.

The 3 podiatric surgeons that I have dealt with so far drew blank looks when I asked them about skiing: I think they probably thought I was too old and fat to be a skier. A hand-out they gave me after the op' a couple of weeks ago said "keep off your feet for 3-4 weeks"; "off work for 4-6 weeks"; "off sports for 3 months" - but that could be anything, couldn't it? Ping pong, badminton or tiddlywinks, and a bone only takes 6 weeks to heal. Then it said "fully back to normal after 12 months". I'm having the other stupid wide foot done next year, so I'll have the use of a new custom liner for one trip, then throw it away, unless it can be re-fashioned in some way for the new, improved, slimline foot. I put my old boots in the skip behind the hotel having customised the 5-years-old liners by carving holes in them with a waiter's friend, which I prudently brought along for the long train journey from Ebbsfleet, not wanting to buy new custom liners in-resort at scary Davos prices when I was only there for 3 days. Old chump going all that way and then trying to save money on boots. It's like eating snow to save a few francs on a bottle of beer.

I think I'll have a little try-out in Cairngorm by sleeper train for a weekend and take it from there. If the feet hurt, you'll know where to find me. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hi,

just bumping the thread for an update on your progress????
I'm just over 2 weeks post bilateral scarf osteotomy (surgery on both feet)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As it turned out I went ski-ing again 5 months after the op and my foot was okayish. It was actually the tendons that were the problem, not the bones. Needless to say, I got customised boots with proper foot beds too. I haven't had the other foot done, because it stopped hurting. I went to Sail and Ski in Shrewsbury for the boots and the fitting took about 2 hours. They said the liners can be re-moulded once if your foot changes shape. The footbeds would need throwing away. I hope your feet have stopped hurting after the op. You've probably just had your stitches out!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi Big Chas,
i had dissolvable ones Razz but they havent stopped hurting yet Sad
I've had my boots for a few years and love them-they have been sooo comfy. it kinda shows how perfect they seemed if I explain I'm a bit of a magpie and lurrvve/lust after all the new gear/skis every year!!

its heartening to hear your feet were ok skiing- I'm guessing you dont have much experience of high heels though?!?!

Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boo22 wrote:
hi,

just bumping the thread for an update on your progress????
I'm just over 2 weeks post bilateral scarf osteotomy (surgery on both feet)

I hope your surgeon and nursing staff we're honest and told you that feet take months to settle down after SCARF osteotomies? It will be worth it though and you have picked perfect time for pre-ski rehab! Forget high heels until the autumn and even now, 2 weeks post-op, make sure you elevate your feet when you can.

Then you can treat yourself to some nice new footbeds Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marmotte16 yes they did- I also spent quite a long time researching before I took the plunge, and found a very good surgeon Smile His assessment was around 9 months for full recovery (ie no remaining swelling/issues) I'm trying to be a good patient, elevating/doing my toe exercises, though it feels a slow process already and I'm not yet at 3 weeks! rolling eyes
I'm pleased at the timing in relation to the season- gives me a focus for recovery (as does my shoe thing...am currently dreaming of pretty ballerina flats rather than heels- I have a majorly ugly pair of Donjoy surgical wedge sandals for at least another month!!!)

as well as still being painful, my poor tootsies are very stiff at present Embarassed

new footbeds??!! ooohhh goodie!! Mr. Green
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BigChas wrote:
Has anyone out there returned to skiing after an operation to remove a bunion by breaking and repositioning the metatarsal? If so, how long was it till you got back on the slopes?

Allow at least six months more realistically 9 yo get into ski boots, this is "little bone, big surgery"

jonathan bell
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wife had the surgery just under 4 years ago, October 2009. First time in a ski boot was Feb 2010 but for very short periods, 1 hour at a time. By April she was skiing normally though with some discomfort afterwards. She was running again by May and completed a triathlon in October 2010 despite the surgeon doubting she would be able to run and definitely did not entertain skiing ( I believe more due to his lack of knowledge than any informed decision) Skiing and other activity was pretty much back to normal for the following season.

She was 51 at the time of the op and completed a season instructing last season with absolutely no problem.

She still has limited movement in her toe and this will not change. She gets occasional soreness under the ball of her big toe but it doesn't restrict her activity.

From what we can glean speaking to others she was lucky to have been operated on by a good surgeon. Unless you have private insurance which we don't, this is very much a case of pot luck!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just had my 3 month check up. The big toe joint that was cut (Akin procedure) hasn't fused together in my left foot. the nurse practitioner said the bone seemed to have drifted a little so it is unlikely to fuse now, but there will be soft tissue and the screw holding things together so it shouldn't be a problem??? Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sooo, I've started back in the gym with lots of leg/glute/core work to build up lost strength in my muscles. I've had some sessions with a trainer so have routines based around kettlebells, deadlifts, trf etc. interspersed with rowing, stairmaster and crosstrainer.
I've still quite a way to go, but the plan is to be on the slopes for new year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

however, my balance is has gone to pot as has any flexibility Crying or Very sad
I'm thinking the Bosu at the gym for balance and lots of stretches or yoga will help,

any suggestions or advice would be welcome
ski holidays
boo22, def bosu for balance.
ski holidays
Up to now, I've only used one for planks and just started to try squats Shocked
any other exercises I shout be doing on it?
snow report
boo22, +1 for BOSU. Use it the correct way up balancing on both feet; one foot; jump 2 footed onto BOSU and stabilise yourslef before dismounting; hop on 1 footed and stabilise. Use it upturned and balance 2 footed, 1 footed, do some squats, then single leg squats, stand 2 footed and rock side to side extending one leg and flexing the other. Obviously start with the easy stuff (2 footed balance with BOSU correct way up, increasing your time) and progress but you'll certainly benefit. If you don't have access to a BOSU anything that makes your base unstable will help e.g. a cushion. Try some balance exercises in ski boots. Another useful exercise if you can juggle is to do so whilst doing any of the above exercises.
ski holidays
Thanks Ade57

sorry to sound dim (too many highlights in the hair methinks!!), but by correct way up do you mean flat side on the floor?
just trying to picture the exercises

Never managed to juggle enough when my balance was ok Laughing

I'm going to give some of these a go next time in the gym (just discovered the price of Bosus!! dont think thats an investment I'll be making)
snow report
boo22, Sorry I should have made it clear. Indeed correct way up means flat side down. BOSUs are expensive, though worth it above a lot of more gimmicky products. It's one of the few things I'd definitely replace if mine broke. Don't be afraid to be creative finding ways of making your base of support unstable; like I said, a cushion is great and really challenging. Do progress gradually though. My wife was shocked at how compromised her balance and strenght were after her op and it took a while to start getting back to normal. Don't be dispirited if your progress is slow, you'll get there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy