Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in norway?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to head out for a winter and do a winter season in Norway. Any thoughts out there as to where to start looking? jobs etc

Any info would be great.

Cheers,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
underdog, for job in Norway, its to late I think,,, You must for norway start send CV etc in august,,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
underdog, Hi and welcome to Snowheads.

What are your skills and what kind of work are you considering?
Whereabouts do you want to be? In resort, or in a Norwegian city and commuting to ski?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

I am definitely thinking next year not this season : )

I am a BASI level 1 alpine, however I don't think that would get me much work.

Main skills would be in hospitality, chalet hosting, housekeeping that sort of thing.
Plenty of experience there.
Although, have experience in retail too.

Currently in outdoor education full time.

looking for something that would give me as much ski time as possible.

In a resort would be ideal, however if you know of anything in a town close by to a ski area, that would be great too.
looked at lillehammer and hemesdal as great locations, but any suggestions welcome. Madeye-Smiley

Thanks,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
norway has the fittest women i've EVER seen. just thought i'd throw that in there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
underdog, Narvik I will suggest, a real town with a great skistation,,, easy to find a job in Norway if you speak scandinavian, norwegian/swedish, but with only english I think the chances to find something is good,,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Narvik is struggling by all accounts and may not open this season.

Real shame if that is the case.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
underdog, Hi - sorry not to follow up my questions sooner. I delayed partly because I have been busy and partly because I was hoping a couple of Snowheads who have worked in Norway might jump in. These days I am just a punter, so can only give limited help. I do know a few Brits who have done a season there and will send you a pm with the link to the hostel where they worked. It may not be your cup of tea though.

As for general tips, you will find the Norwegian Embassy website has information about employment and residence in Norway and the Norwegian Tourist Board site has a list of ski resorts and tour operators who go there. The major resorts with lift-served ski-ing that I can think of are Hemsedal, Geilo, Trysil, Hafjell (about 15 km from Lillehammer), Oppdal, Kvitfjell and Voss. Tryvann is accessible by tram from Oslo, so working there might be an option too. These places are all in central south Norway. I don't know anything about the ski-ing up North in places like Narvik. However, in a normal winter there is snow all over the place for months, almost every community has ski trails and many have lifts. There is access to off-piste in many places. It's a big country. However, the facilities outside the resorts mainly serve the locals and you may not find it easy to get a job in the tourist industry outside the main resorts, basically because there is no tourist industry.

You may wish to approach the tour operators. I have travelled to Geilo with the tour operator Neilson. They employ chalet hosts and resort reps. The few I spoke to at any length were all British and were all year-round employees. They were off to Greece for the summer. I am not sure which other operators serve Norway, but no doubt google knows. If you do want to go that route, you may like to look at the Natives website.

As for ski related work, the instructors in Geilo all seemed to be Swedes, as did most of the technicians. It might be worth dropping a CV to the Ski Schools in the various resorts. Obviously the more language skills you have the better.

On a more general note, I was in Stavanger about 18 months ago, chatting to a couple of the locals, who could not understand why unemployed Brits were not flocking over there. They said they had numerous unfilled vacancies for skilled and unskilled workers. This is of course anecdotal, but if you don't mind what you do, there appear to be opportunities. The employment agencies apparently insist on Norwegian language skills, but employers often don't, if the job doesn't need it. So if you don't speak Norwegian, direct applications appear to be the way to go.

The cost of living is very high, but wages are pretty good by all accounts. A job that provides accommodation could be a good option while you find your feet.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I was out there a few years ago (for holiday) I met a British woman who was a qualified nurse who was doing a season in Hemsedal. She was picking up a bit of childcare here and there, but not enough to cover her bills - she'd had a payoff of some sort (divorce/work?) and wanted to travel and was fully aware she was funding herself. Not a cheap place to be under-employed!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would second trying the ski schools in Geilo I knew at least three aussies and coupke of brits who worked for them when I repped there. The schools did'nt used to require any specific qualifications and would do there own course at the start of the season. English speakers might not be in as much demand now due to only Neilson being in resort now. They use the Vestlia ski school so it could be worth trying them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy