Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm November

Poster: A snowHead
Just got in to my car and the temperature gauge read 14 degrees outside temp! Then as my wife and I were driving she was bitten by one of two mosquitos that have appeared inside the car!
With 3 snow trips booked this wintet this warm autumn is not filling me with confidence that this winter will be a cold one. Maybe its just the south coast that warmish at the moment?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

this warm autumn is not filling me with confidence that this winter will be a cold one

Puzzled is there any evidence that temperatures at the beginning of November are indicative of whether the winter will be cold or not? In the short term, I wouldn't have thought so. I remember a few years ago there was big early snow in November and people got very over-excited about how that meant they'd have loads of snow for their holidays at New Year. Then, later in the month, the FL went up to over 3000m and it all melted.

It's far, far, too early to be either convinced it will be great, or convinced it will be rubbish. Start thinking about conditions for Christmas and New Year in about a month.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Yes last year there was lots of early snow in France and then it all got washed away and the season never got going really. Getting the warm weather now just makes bonfire night tonight easier to stand outside.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can my title of "Biggest Users Pre Season Overreaction" now be passed on please? I wasn't this bad last year was I? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ill relax. It could go either way I guess. Just strange seeing mosquitos at this time of year in the UK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here in the garden of England we've had a lot of ladybirds in the house in the last few days, and mozzies are still buzzing around occasionally. It's been a warm autumn so far - the ground's been so hard that four of my boys, all scrum halfs, have broken their arms playing rugby.
I still don't know if this means anything - a mate who's a buyer for a major retailer employs a company to forecast when seasonal changes will occur, so that they have the right stock in their shops at the right time. The company which charge a huge fee, apparently get it right 45% of the time, so he recxkons they'd be better ignoring their advice. I've offered to make it up for a few hundred grand. My point is that no one, not even the 'pros' can accurately predict the weather in the medium and long term.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edit

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 5-11-11 16:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daveyladboy wrote:
Here in the garden of England we've had a lot of ladybirds in the house in the last few days

There have been many ladybirds in Tyrol too, which rather surprised me in October.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Yes last year there was lots of early snow in France and then it all got washed away and the season never got going really
Yeah, Mrs MA and I never got going in January in Espace Killy, the 3 Vallees in March or back at Espace Killy in May Sad ...

Pretty awful really. Wish we'd listened to the "There's no snow" doom mongers and hadn't bothered. Dreading another 3 trips like those wink .......
January:
][/url]
March:

May:

Anyway, this winter, there's a lot more snow than there was in early November 2006. That year, at Tignes, there was absolutely no snow other
than on the glacier, which was very hard & icy. It turned out to be a normal winter for snow cover.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, brilliant! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not to let the facts get in the way of a good story but 2006-2007 was a poor snow year in the French mountains, so not the best example to pick

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0741-retrospective-on-the-2006-2007-ski-season/

Too early to say what this year will bring. Early November snow doesn't last at resort run level into the ski season. Wait till after the 15th and not really worth worrying until you arrive as it can snow a meter on Friday and you can be skiing excellent conditions the next day.

The rain will have filled up the snow making reservoirs anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

2006-2007 was a poor snow year in the French mountains
Oops davidof - I stand corrected** as I wasn't there for the whole season. Embarassed Embarassed I was mixing up my winters and had thought we went back to France in Jan 2007 - when we were actually in Canada at that time. We did return to France in late March 2007 though - to find fresh snow and perfect conditions in the 3 Vallees - see pic below.

**In my specially commissioned orthopaedic footwear wink

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could produce some beautiful snowy pictures from last season, and some very unsnowy pictures from previous seasons which were actually much better. Pictures are nice, but no substitute for the hard evidence. wink And that's without talking about the huge variation throughout many seasons, and between different locations even within the same massif, let alone across the enormous swathe of the Alps from west to east. Who cares if the Year Dot broke all records for dumps of fresh powder, if the week you went, it was rubbish?

Or vice versa.

This coming season is a closed book - nobody knows what will happen. The only certain thing is that current weather cannot be used as any kind of predictor of what will be happening in resort X in week Y. Just as well, really!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:

We did return to France in late March 2007 though - to find fresh snow and perfect conditions in the 3 Vallees - see pic below.

Second half of March 2007 was a fantastic fortnight of great conditions at all altitudes. As a lot of people have said on snowheads, pick the right week and right area and your ski holiday can be fantastic. Wait and see wink.

The snowpack, at least in France, tends to be made up of 3 or 4 important dumps through the season. Miss one of these and the season can be below average. It is hard to predict. In general I would expect snow cover above 1800m from around the last week of November.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DONT PANIC !!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Erm it's only the 5th.
One year, it was 15C in the evening in December... on the evening of our company Glühwein session... now that is wrong, and the time to start getting a little bit concerned.
Turned up in Les Gets to grass one January (not sure if it was the same season), and still got a full 6 days skiing in.

Oh and seen quite a few Ladybirds in the last week or 2 here. Nothing like the ladybird epidemic last yr.
ski holidays
look does this cheer you up

this is looking out of the living room window at this precise moment
ski holidays
mountainaddict, you say that but it still wasn't a great season... Yeah of course there were good weeks to be had, but it was still a poor year for snow as a whole.

pam w put it quite well I think.
snow conditions
Obertauern had no snow at this time last year and still opened on time about 24th with plenty cover
We were there in early January and conditions were excellent
We were also in Ischgl mid March in great cover though as we had not been there at that time of year before I dont know how it compared to previous years
As others have said its only the week or two before you go that matters big storm = good Very Happy big thaw = bad Sad
snow report
Quote:

mountainaddict, you say that...
Correct. I did. I acknowledge and accept everything that's been said - but was only trying to illustrate that anyone who skied perfect snow in the 3 Vs in the March 2007 week that we did wouldn't have thought that 06-7 was a poor snow year - you can only speak as you find!

pam w
Quote:
I could produce some beautiful snowy pictures from last season, and some very unsnowy pictures....
I just like posting photos - and seeing other people's too!! Anyway, that could be very entertaining actually! Think I'll start a best vs worst snow conditions photo thread tonight wink
snow conditions
Oh that's what the grande motte looks like when you don't have to scramble over the rocks to get to the chairlift. Wink
ski holidays
It's not warm today. 8º and constant drizzle. That's more like November.
snow conditions
It has been warm over in the Alps. At this end (Vienna, Austria) we saw almost 20 Deg C on the weekend. The temps are however forecast to drop significantly this week so that many of the ski resorts will experience sub-zero temps.
snow conditions
Yep same here queen bodecia, though Saturday evening was warm enough to be at an outdoor gig without needing an overcoat.
ski holidays
I had a BBQ last night and woke to 15 degrees at 7AM this morning....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy