Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slight gap under boot in toepiece of binding.

Poster: A snowHead
This is a question about junior kit again sorry.

There's a slight gap under the boot just behind where it is clamped into the toepiece. There seems to be no up-and-down adjustment for the binding, but my feeling is that when there is the weight of a small person standing on it, contact with the sole of the boot will be made.

It's just that, if I clip the boot into the binding just on it's own, whilst the heel sole makes contact with the binding underneath, the toe end doesn't.

Is this a problem?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't mess with bindings unless you know what you are doing. Young kids bones are very frail and break easy. I'd get a ski shop to check it out for a small fee.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only "messing" I've done is to set the appropriate sole length by sliding the thing along the thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, Are you sure you are not trying to use junior boots with adult bindings ? Take them to a shop.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, quite sure yes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I should point out that this gap is only about 2mm. It's not some huge canyon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
... and how do you know you have done that correctly? €5 should be enough for a ski hire shop to check that the binding is set up for your junior. They might even do it for free. Saving €5 could mean the binding doesn't release and injure him.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
... and how do you know you have done that correctly?

Because there's a little thing that you press, which makes the thing move along the thing, and when you let go of the thing, the other thing stops moving. It's not rocket science man.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, Forward Pressure?

Look on page 14 of http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/2010-11_Shop_Practice_Manual.pdf
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio,

On my bindings I have to fine tune a screw otherwise it's too loose and I prematurely come out of the bindings or it's too tight and the bindings won't release and I might tear my knee apart. For this reason I got someone who knew what they were doing to show me how. It's your junior and your choice ....

Maybe the binding has toe height adjustment too. Maybe the din isn't set up for him .....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
paulio,

On my bindings I have to fine tune a screw otherwise it's too lose and I prematurely come out of the bindings or it's too tight and the bindings won't release and I might tear my knee apart. For this reason I got someone who knew what they were doing to show me how. It's your junior and your choice ....

Yes. This is what I'm asking.

Hello everyone, I don't know the answer to this question, so I was hoping that someone who knows about these things could show/tell me.

Your answer seems to be 'hey paulio, I don't know either, have you tried asking someone who does?'

Which is what I'm doing.

Do you see?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio,

There are many different bindings and adjustment methods. Getting a solution on the internet and then doing it yourself is pretty dam risky esp. if you haven't done it before. Shops can also test the binding release afterwards - how are you going to do that? A lot of risk for not a lot of saving. My answer is get someone else to do it because they have the experience and the tools.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 4-11-11 15:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So you keep saying.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, Take it to a ski shop, forward pressure is vital for release!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.life123.com/sports/winter-sports/ski-equipment/how-to-adjust-ski-bindings.shtml

http://www.ehow.com/how_4577091_adjust-bindings-ski-boots.html
snow report
paulio wrote:
So you keep saying.

........ as do many others.
snow conditions
If I went to pistonheads and said 'I'm thinking of changing my oil filter, can anyone give me some advice' I wouldn't expect a chorus of people telling me to go to Kwik Fit. "Don't do that yourself mate, it's bewilderingly complicated, and you'll definitely die in a fire!"

Bindings aren't even as complicated as cars. They're about as complicated as a toilet.
ski holidays
paulio, Annecy, is that near Cham? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hahaha.
latest report
paulio wrote:
If I went to pistonheads and said 'I'm thinking of changing my oil filter, can anyone give me some advice' I wouldn't expect a chorus of people telling me to go to Kwik Fit. "Don't do that yourself mate, it's bewilderingly complicated, and you'll definitely die in a fire!"

Bindings aren't even as complicated as cars. They're about as complicated as a toilet.

This is more like setting up your car brakes or airbag. People have been prosecuted after serious injury for setting up ski bindings incorrectly, as far as I'm aware this hasn't happened with an oil filter change. Saw a neighbour change his oil and oil filter once - he forgot to put the plug in and dropped the oil out all over his driveway. Laughing

http://www.brain-surgery.com/
snow conditions
Look. The skis will almost certainly find their way to a ski shop at some point. At which point they will fiddled about with by a disinterested hungover 15 year old French layabout, as is generally the case. I will take them away with completely randomized DIN settings, and two slightly different sole lengths, and convince myself that they have been professionally looked at.

However, I'm still interested to know whether a mm or 2 gap between a boot sole and a baseplate is within normal operational limits for a ski binding, or is a problem.
snow report
I feel like Megamum.
snow report
paulio, I think it will depend on the binding type but some types e.g. some Atomic bindings (Race & Device) are supposed to have a gap between the boot toepiece and the AFD. The Atomic instructions for this particular binding says

"The toe piece unit will work properly only when a clearance of 0,5 mm is allowed between the sole and the AFD.
Put the boot into the binding and insert a card that is 0,5 mm thick, placing it between the AFD and the boot sole. It must be possible to slide the card between boot sole and AFD with a slight contact. "

so it's not necessarily wrong to have a small gap depending on the manufacturer's recommendations.

I had to adjust my bindings to get this gap after a "fully qualified, professional etc etc" ski tech in Courchevel screwed the toepiece right down and made it impossible to get out of the binding Shocked

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 4-11-11 16:05; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Look at that!

An actual non-patronising answer!

On snowHeads!
ski holidays
paulio wrote:

Is this a problem?

No it isn't.
snow report
Look paulio, it's very simple.

Fit four matching winter tyres to your car.

Don helmet.

Click in ski boot.

I think you actually had your question answered.
snow conditions
paulio, Some bindings have an adjustment for the gap, others manage it automatically. For instance, non of the kids hire kit at our slope has adjustment for the forward height.

The best bet is to find the workshop manual for the binding in question and go from there.

Which is it ?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., some Tecmo thing. Not sure of the model, but it goes from DIN 0.5 to about 4. I bet there aren't very many of them.

There is almost nothing adjustable on it. Just a DIN setting on the toe piece, the sole length slider thingy, and a corresponding heel piece DIN / forward pressure screw. Both DINs set to 1.0.

My inclination is to assume it's fine, and go for a trundle and see what happens. The gap isn't even the 2mm I said it was. More like 1mm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, ...techno pro bindings usually are re-branded salomon. Although I am not a technician, I have carefully sought formal training and gathered a lot of informal advice from technicians, since we have a ridiculous number of skis in our family and I wind up maintaining them all.

A couple of people are dead right about setting forward pressure correctly. You need to know how to do it for the specific model, and the indicators vary quite a bit. Usually on Salomon it's a little metal tab at the back of the rear binding, in the middle of the track, and the mark on the metal tab, usually with two little arrow marks close together, has to lie between the ends of an indentation on either side of the binding body (when the binding is closed with a boot in it). I know this sounds obscure, and very difficult to describe without a diagram, but poke around and you'll see what I mean. Alternatively, if it's a rental binding, there may be a small window in the LH side of the rear binding, and a metal tab should be visible in the window when the boot's in the binding.

A rough rule of thumb is that the wings of the front binding should move a tine fraction when the boot clips in. But better that the forward pressure indicator is found and used.

Then... on the 'gap' you are talking about. Assuming that the boots are not badly worn (And that does happen), if it's only on one binding then there's a fault with the binding and I wouldn't use the skis, and take them to a technician.

If it's on both, then you can do this simple check. Set the bindings up with the right DIN and forward pressure, then fold a piece of A4 paper in half, tear off a wide strip so that you can put in between the underneath of the front sole section of the boot and the front binding, click in the boot and see if the paper is gripped. A business card would be equally good. You may well find that the card is gripped by the AFD (anti-friction device) and the gap is just a gap around the sole, but the AFD is, in fact, gripping. If yes, then all is well.

A simple test and should re-assure you.

If it is not gripped, then increase the thickness of the paper/card until it is, and then you know what kind of gap you are dealing with, and whether it's the same on both skis. If there is indeed a big gap, then check all the binding mounts and screws, although on the basic junior Salomon bindings, this height is non-adjustable and should not be affected by any looseness in the mounting - it will more likely be damage to the bindings, and again, I would get them checked out rather than risk pre-release or late release.
ski holidays
Quote:

The skis will almost certainly find their way to a ski shop at some point. At which point they will fiddled about with by a disinterested hungover 15 year old French layabout

When this eventually happens wink find a shop not staffed by the above and they should be able to tell you that Salomon/Atomic also make a slightly thicker AFD plate for their junior bindings to solve this problem.
Quote:

there's a little thing that you press, which makes the thing move along the thing, and when you let go of the thing, the other thing stops moving.

They could also check that you have let the 'other thing' stop moving in the right place. No it's not rocket science but it helps if you know what you are doing. wink
snow conditions
Same on both skis, sole length is set accurately on both. Front and rear indicators both say DIN 1, which I think is appropriate for the little skier in question.

I think I'm just going to not worry about it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy