Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Shimming' a child's boot.

Poster: A snowHead
So we've bought some boots for Junior. They're too big. This was partially deliberate (to try and wring longevity out of them), and partially an accident (I wanted to go oversized as I say, but not quite this much). They're probably about 2 or 3 cm too long all told.

So I'm going to try and bulk them up a bit around the liner. Any tips on how best to do this? Behind the heel? In front of the toe? Wrap gaffa tape round it over and over again to uniformly bulk it up? Not worry about it since he'll only be getting trundled along at 0.01mph on the flat anyway?

(Expect a complementary thread in a couple of years time, asking how best to stanley knife bits off the liner to make his by-then enormous feet still fit into a pair of boots that are 2 sizes too small. We're as tight as a swan's chuff in our house.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, would it not be better to buy the next size down on ebay, then sell them when he has grown out of them? and just keep these until he does grow into them?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He's only 2.

My feeling is that they don't need to be a great fit. We're not sending him racing. They just probably need snugging up a bit.

(Amusingly my own boots are a full adult size too big as well. That's probably why when Inside Out made me do the 'boots unbuckled' drill I found it totally easy - because it's no different to how I ski normally. I may as well be wearing a pair of wellies.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had the same dilemma with our little one when he was about that age - we got him the smallest boot we could find, but it was still way too big!

So we just used a thick sock. At that age all he's going to do is passively slide around: he doesn't need super edge-control.

From age 2 to current age 4 he's been in Roces adjustable boots, and it was only early this year we exapnded them from the smallest to medium setting, so should last at least another year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, Thats very little, with my eldest a number of years ago,(shes now 11) her boots were a bit loose, so were given a inner sole to stick under the liner (had to tape it down so it did not move) and another pair of boots she had later had a velcroed in piece at the end of the liner done by the manufacturer, and an additional plastic base board which we discovered later and took out, so they lasted another season...some ideas for you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio, Annecy, is that far from Cham? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Cham the other day, but I didn't know where you guys were otherwise I'd have popped in and said hello Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What about a bag of bees? Maybe that would work.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio wrote:
What about a bag of bees? Maybe that would work.

That'll work, Sideways_Jnr swelled up a treat after his run in with a bee this summer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio wrote:
He's only 2.

you are putting him into plastic ski boots, which are too long, into releasable bindings?

if you go to technique extreme in Chamonix they sell adjutable kids boots

http://www.technique-extreme.com/produit-Chaussure-de-ski-enfant-reglable-237.htm

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 4-11-11 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
paulio wrote:
He's only 2.

you are putting him into plastic ski boots, which are too long, into releasable bindings?

I put my own feet into plastic ski boots which are too long, into releasable bindings.

What's good for the gander...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, shame you've just missed the Decathlon "troc" - always loads of kids boots, molto cheapo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmm I've a feeling you are trolling
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Asking a question about ski boots in the equipment section of a skiing forum is 'trolling' nowadays is it? Well I never.
snow report
paulio, you could always try squeezing marshmallows down inside the boot. then when the wee one gets hungry, he can just have a nibble from the boot? snowHead
ski holidays
No but you ask a question then follow up with some flippant remarks then wonder why you don't get any sensible answers.
latest report
At which point have I wondered why I'm not getting any sensible answers? There have been several.
snow report
simply put the chap into the boots, pour in some jelly, and let it set - cheap way to get a fully customised liner.

Or hire some ones that fit in resort???
ski holidays
Some great ideas here.

I'm not sure you need a performance fit at 2 yo.
ski holidays
maybe not a "performance fit that it needed", but a little security to avoid injury...or am i being old fashioned here
snow report
why is that old fashioned? Puzzled
snow report
davidof wrote:
paulio wrote:
He's only 2.

if you go to technique extreme in Chamonix they sell adjutable kids boots

http://www.technique-extreme.com/produit-Chaussure-de-ski-enfant-reglable-237.htm

They look like the ones I've just bought my daughter and the smallest setting of the smallest size of these is just perfect for her 7 year old feet so maybe even bigger than the boots we started out discussing!
ski holidays
There are much smaller Roces adjustable boots than that.

http://www.roces-snow.com/en/size.asp

We put youngest in the smallest set on the smallest size (16.0) when he was 2. Now he is 4 we've had to extend them once, and they'll last him at least another year. For a kids boot, they are very well made.
snow conditions
Ahh yes, Chloe's Roxas are 18.5-22 which is the smallest they do
latest report
CEM wrote:
maybe not a "performance fit that it needed", but a little security to avoid injury...or am i being old fashioned here

Yep, that's what I'm hoping to achieve. Bit of ballast.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy