Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boys Hols Two Hours From Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy All

First post so pls be nice Very Happy

A group of 6 of us are venturing to Austria in the first week of Feb and I'm looking for ideas for resorts... We're all meeting up at Munich Airport, so the ideal area needs to be within a two hour drive from there.

We'd normally go to Soll and the SkiWelt, but the general consensus this year is that we're a bit bored Happy I was thinking Saalbach/Hinterglemm or Obertauern (with a day or two at the the other Lungau pass resorts), but both areas are at least a 2:30 - 3 hour drive on a good run and longer if the roads are bad.

We're all proficient skiers or boarders and like to do a lot of miles during the day and enjoy a "spot" of aprés at the end of the day, which is why we've always done the SkiWelt.

What we're looking for is a biggish area or easily linked smaller areas with a decent night life, all within the magic 2 hours drive of Munich, so does anyone have any any suggestions?

Thanx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mauddib, welcome to snowHeads....we do (mostly) play nicely.

There have been a few similarish threads recently as it happens and some useful info provided from some snowHeads resident in Austria - hopefully they'll be along shortly with plenty of ideas.

Good luck Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mauddib, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

AA Routeplanner gives a journey time from Munich airport to Mayrhofen in the Zillertal of 2hs 2mins, so that just exceeds your magic 2 hrs figure. Toofy Grin If you've not visited the Zillertal area before then you'll find it has a large area of very enjoyable skiing. Apart from Mayrhofen and its ski area, your pass also includes the Zell am Ziller ski area and Hochzillertal (Kaltenbach/Hochfugen) ski area further down the valley. You could even stay at those resorts (which are closer to Munich so marginally less driving time), although you'll find the busiest apres ski scene in Mayrhofen itself. There's even a glacier higher up the valley at Hintertux.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mauddib, you could spend 2 hours just getting round Munich if you hit the wrong time of day on a Saturday Laughing I picked my sister up from the airport on a Wednesday evening one year and it took 2 hours to get out there (rush hour) and 4 hours to get home Evil or Very Mad (I live an hour SE of Munich).

You might want to ditch the car hire idea and either using a transfer company or the train.

When does the last of your group arrive and are you intending to go Saturday to Saturday? Flight times are the most important things both coming in and going out. Transfer companies are your best bet as they know all the back-doubles and work-arounds should there be any problems with traffic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What sort of skiing do you want to do, and would you consider public transport?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A group of 6

mauddib, that makes a private transfer economic. Try these guys: http://www.tirol-taxi.at/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for mayrhofen! You can get there on the train too, changing at Munich Central and Jenbach, which works out quite cheaply, although it'll take longer than 2hrs.

There's some really good skiing and nightlife in the zillertal-one of my favourite places to ski in Austria all round. Saalbach is worth a look too, though, although the snow isn't as reliable there (should be ok in Feb though).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zell am See and Kaprun combined will give you some great terrain and decent nightlife.

Did a lads trip there in Jan (11 of us) for a weekend, and had a belter. Easy drive from Munich - around 2 hrs. Can get the train, but takes a touch longer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Mayrhofen. Zell's nice but bigger ski area in Mayrhofen plus you have the rest of the Zillertal valley. Mayrhofen's nightlife is better too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Adam123, either you broke every speed limit in the book or your idea of a couple of hours is not the same as everyone else! I live a good hour closer to Zell than the airport and it can take me about 2 hours on a good clear run!

It can easily take an hour in the ski season just to drive from the Bischofshofen interchange to Zell. They have also had some serious landslides along the B311 recently and there are several, sometimes long delays at temporary trafiic lights near Taxenbach and one of the tunnels between Schwarzach and Lend (turn off for the Gasteinertal).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schladming ? About 2 hours 15 minutes on a good day but as everyone says Munich to anywhere in Austria on a Saturday in Winter can be a lot longer than you expect. Best bet is often to arrive into Munich around 7 or 8pm. You should be in pretty much any resort by 11ish latest.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi All

Thanks for help all

We're flying in on a Weds evening at 9ish or a Thursday AM at 10ish and travelling back late on the Monday, so traffic shouldn't be an issue, but that's worth remembering.

As far as the type of skiing, pretty much a bit of everything. It's a mixed group, but everyone can cope with pretty much everything on piste (although one or two may struggle with some of the really steep stuff) and some of us like to venture further afield, but no serious back country stuff, well not yet anyway Very Happy

I've looked at Mayrhofen and Zell and I think you have to get a lift down at the end of the day don't you? Does that get painful with excessive queuing? I'm guessing it's also ski bus to and from the hotel, so do they get busy too?
I also liked Hochfugen with it being that bit higher up the valley, but is this actually a village or is it just a group of hotels?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mauddib, Wednesday evening at that time you can easily make it to Schladming or Flachau - the latter being even nearer. both excellent centres for the type of trip you are looking at. some excellent watering holes right at the bottom of the pistes as well as evening Apres in a variety of places.

Late afternoon back into Munich airport, be careful around the A99 and A9 as the evening Rush Hour can cause big hold-ups as far as the Eching interchange (where you come off the A9 on to the A92). also there are jams at the munich north interchange where the traffic flowing out of Munich merges with the traffic coming from the A99. This can tail back a good 5kms to the Ascheim/Ismaning interchange on the A99.

The only thing that could cause you real problems is if there is heavy snow on your way back - for some reason some numpty in/around Munich alaways causes a pile-up. The irritating thing is that there is rarely any real damage, but the boogers NEVER move from the accident site until the Fuzz show up! The Fuzz then photograph and measure EVERYTHING before moving the offending but drivable vehicles on to the hard shoulder. The tailbacks in these cases are really annoying.

I still reckon with 6 of you a private transfer would be the best option and those who arrive first can sit and wait for the others in the Airport Brewery (between Terminal 1 and 2) good food and lovely beer! Laughing Laughing And the transfer driver pours you all out at the other end!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mauddib wrote:

I also liked Hochfugen with it being that bit higher up the valley, but is this actually a village or is it just a group of hotels?

In point of fact the Hochzillertal ski area is reached from the Kaltenbach gondola station which is lower down the Zillertal valley than Mayrhofen, and is the first large ski area you reach on entering the valley from the Autobahn exit or train station at Jenbach at the bottom of the valley. If you look at the piste map link you'll see that Hochfugen which is part of the ski area can also be reached by a road that goes up from the town of Fugen (and until a few years ago when the ski link from Kaltenbach was put in, that was the only way of getting there). Hochfugen itself is very small with just a few restaurants/cafeterias for the day visitors, plus a couple of hotels, so if you were to stay at Hochfugen it would be very convenient for the skiing, but very quiet in the evenings.
If you were to stay at or near Kaltenbach then there is a 8km long run the Stephan Eberharter Goldpiste that comes all the way back down to the bottom. Right at the bottom of this piste is the Postalm which has some great apres ski. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mauddib, You do have to get a lift down in Mayrhofen unless you ski down to one of the outlying villages and get a bus or taxi back. In Zell you can ski back down. Personally I've never found a problem]getting the lift down. If it is busy you can always have a beer or two and wait for the queue to die down. As for buses they are very frequent and although they can fill up, you are only talking very short journeys. Of course, you can always book a hotel near to a lift.
snow report
mauddib,

Another vote for Mayrhofen! Great skiing and apres ski to match! Very Happy

Yes - you may have to take a lift down if you ski at Mayrhofen but it's not a necessity. For example, you can ski from Mayrhofen to other villages in the Ziller Valley (eg Finkenberg or Lanersbach) and then take one of the frequent buses from there back to Mayrhofen. It's a short trip back.

Even if you choose to take the lift down to Mayhrhofen don't let that put you off. We were there last January and never had to wait more than a few minutes for the lift down at the end of the day. We skiied until the other lifts closed and it wasn't a problem at all.

It's a brilliant ski area as there are lots of great areas on the ski pass, including Zell am Ziller (linked to Koenigsleiten and Gerlos) and the Hintertux Glacier - which you MUST visit if you are in the Ziller Valley. The glacier scenery is stunning, the slopes are great and the apres ski in the glacier car park is legendary!
snow report
Thanks everyone, your advice has been fantastic Very Happy

Sue - I think I know the exact pub you mean and we almost missed the flight home last year because of it wink
Alastair - Kind of looked like that on their site and Google maps, but thanks for confirming

Based on what you are all saying, I think it has to be Mayrhofen or Zell, with perhaps a day elsewhere on the same pass (thanks Bergmeister)

But...Having not been to either, what are the pros & cons of the two?
snow report
Both are great and you would enjoy either for a weekend or long weekend...

But if you are going for a week I'd recommend Mayrhofen.

And then ski more than a day in other areas in the Zillertal. You would be spoiled for choice and (as I mentioned earlier) the Hintertux glacier is a real must. That on its own offers more than some areas of Soll!
snow report
Well, Zell's a lovely town in a lakeside setting with a pedestrianised centre and has good nightlife. Its also nice to ski down towards it with the lake spread out before you. However, it isn't a particularly big ski area and there isn't much in the way of a challenge. To be fair, the skiing in Mayrhofen isn't especially challenging either but you do have the attraction of Austria's steepest piste, there is more of it and you have access to the whole of the Zillertal valley which brings around 600kms in total. Both have glaciers, at Kaprun and Hintertux but the latter is better in my view. I also prefer Mayrhofen as a resort - its livelier with better apres aki and a better atmosphere. Only been to Zell once and while I enjoyed it I probably won't go back whereas I certainly will to Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
sorry m'bad!

when I mention Zell, I meant Zell am Ziller and not Zell am See...

So to ask again, whats the difference between Zell am Ziller and Mayrhofen?

Sorry!
latest report
mauddib, No need to be sorry, someone else had mentioned Zell Am See and I just took it from there.

Oh and welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
mauddib, Zell am Ziller is smaller than Mayrhofen (but arguably prettier) and in order to get to the slopes you need to catch one of the very frequent shuttle busses from Zell town centre to the gondola basestation. Definitely worth a day's visit during your week (as is the Hochzillertal ski area from Kaltenbach) but I would recommend staying in Mayrhofen as it is bigger and has more apres ski. At Mayrhofen apart from the main skiing on the Penken slopes there is also a cable car goes up to the Ahorn area which has some gentle blue runs but also a nice quite demanding red that goes all the way back to the town.

With your Zillertal Superskipass apart from the free ski busses it also gives you free travel on the entire Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway that goes from Mayrhofen all the way down the valley past Zell and Kaltenbach to Jenbach. During the day the trains run at half hour intervals, and from Mayrhofen station it takes 10 mins to Zell and 23 mins to Kaltenbach (from Kaltenbach station it's just a few hundred yards walk to the gondola basestation).

All the major operators go to Mayrhofen and there is a huge choice of accommodation. I've stayed several times at the Hotel Garni Obermair which Crystal and Thomson offer and I think is particularly good value. It has a small indoor swimming pool and sauna and they do a very good buffet breakfast. If you want half board you can pay a supplement to eat at another nearby hotel but personally I prefer the flexibility of being able to try out different places to eat in the evening. It's also near to the Mayrhofen station so that's convenient for any day trips down to other Zillertal ski areas.

Hope this helps! Madeye-Smiley

Edit: I see that you're arranging your own flights, and going for less than a week, so obviously you won't be looking to book with a tour operator. You can arrange accommodation either through the Zillertal link or www.tiscover.com, these sites often have accommodation available for different periods rather than the standard Sat to Sat of the tour operators.
ski holidays
Corky wrote:
Well, Zell's a lovely town ... and there isn't much in the way of a challenge.

Don't know what you look for as a challenge, Corky, but I find the black runs in Zell am See (pistes 13 and 14) quite challenging enough Shocked And even the run down by the Areitbahn isn't that easy.
snow report
Cheers Chaps

will prob be Mayrhofen me thinks

Grateful for everyones help Happy

Snowheads FTW!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Adam123, either you broke every speed limit in the book or your idea of a couple of hours is not the same as everyone else! I live a good hour closer to Zell than the airport and it can take me about 2 hours on a good clear run!

no speed limit on the autobahn NehNeh
ski holidays
Adam123, you are so wrong in every way. The limit for a lot of the route you took is 120km per hour and in some places it is as low as 80km per hour.
The actual sections that are presumed to be without limit are actually very limited. In Austria you have a maximum of 130km/hour and large sections in Tirol and Salzburg where it is strictly limited to 100km/hour in the interests of the local environment.

It is fallacy that the autobahns have no limits and that can cost you dearly even when they impose limits on sections that are normally unrestricted. The A92 from the airport to the A9 interchange is limited to a maximum of 120km/hour, the A99 has variable limits according to the volume of traffic, time of day and the weather, just as on the M25. The section where the A99 meets the A8 is often restricted to a maximum of 120, sometimes lower if the volume is high. On the A8 between Weyern and the top of the Irschenberg the limit is 120 and 100 on the descent towards the Inntal interchange. The limit on the A93 is 130 for most of the route to the Austrian border, but is as low as 60 on the interchange itself. Once over the border the IG-L limit in Tirol is 100km/hour. Between the Inntal and the bridge crossing the Inn it is 120km/hour, then moving in the direction of Salzburg you have several sections where the statutory limit is 120 or 100. Once over the border you are stuck with a limit of 130 or if the IG-L signs are switched on, you have to stick to 100km/hour.

As I commute along this axis every day I am more than conscious of the speed limits and the idiots who think they do not apply to them.

I see many hire cars in the ski season belting along, tailgating in complete disregard of other traffic and the limits applied, remember if you have a hire car you can be followed for the fines. You will be fined if caught and it can be very expensive, especially if you are proven to have contributed to any incidents along the way!
snow report
Mayrhofen. 2 hours 2mins seems a long time to get there, we certainly comfortably beat that most years (when weather is dry and clear). It is best to be back to Munich with time to spend in the Airbrau, got to be the best airport pub/restaurant in the world.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue,

You forgot to mention to 130km/hour night time restrictions Very Happy

But your right about "fallacy that the autobahns have no limits" .
It can cost you dearly many of my Dutch friends have had Dutch Police knocking on there doors delivering the huge Fines on behalf of the German Police . Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, they are not overall. In and around towns you have a noise reduction limit "Lärmschutz" of 80 km/h. This applies to lots of sections of autobahn around Munich and the police love to set up immediate payment speed traps at night. I've been caught a couple of times even though I know where the areas begin and end. The last time I was stopped just after the end of the noise reduction zone. They had clocked me acceelerating as I approached the end of limit signal. 50 Euro gone in one 200m section. Twisted Evil

There are also limits that are posted when the roads are wet, all are statutory and can be 120km/h hile others are as low as 60 or 80km/h but not on the sections from Munich airport to Zell am See/Kaprun.

Nightime speed limit on sections of Austrian autobahns as well. I cannot remmber the figures now but they are listed on signs as you cross into Austria and are expected to observe them!

BTW anyone in a hire car from Munich Airport, with German plates - you are considered fair game by the Austrian police! Laughing
snow report
to be honest, the fast lane generally scares us, and our hire cars rarely are a match for the speed of the VW's, Porsche's and Bimmers belting it along full whack.

Maybe it took us a little longer than 2 hours, maybe even as much as 2h 30 or 45 but no more than that.
ski holidays
We are driving from Munich Airport to Hintertux on Saturday morning Very Happy

Not that I'm rubbing in in it all but we CAN'T WAIT!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

One and a half days on the glacier (and an apres ski session in the Hohenhaus wink to kick off our season!
snow report
Bergmeister - Only a bit jealous

Can anyone recommend any hotels / pensions in Mayrhofen? Did a search on the site and ones that came up as available have all said they are full Sad

Tried Bruke, Landenhof and Strass, but was wondering if anyone knew of any others that might be worth trying?

Thanx
latest report
You could try here.

http://www.landhaus-carla.at/en

Its smaller than the ones you've tried but no worse for that. I've stayed there several times and really like it. Its situated just behind the bus and railway station. Nice rooms, good food and attractive bar. As I say its fairly small which lends itself to getting to know other guests. Its popular with locals for food and drink too.
snow conditions
If you would like somewhere off the beaten track, you can get the train direct from Munich to OBERSTDORF in the German Alps on the "ALEX" service (Landerbahn Express). I took the train with a colleague in Jan 2009 and the fare for a group of 4 is a total of 29euros (if bought from the self-service machine, more from the ticket office) for a day's Bayern pass - a bargain. It takes 2hrs 20mins. The station is at the end of the line right in the middle of town maybe 100 yards from the cable car. There is a ski hire place opposite the station.

There aren't fancy prices in Oberstdorf - I had a set lunch in the village for about 12 euros; we waited in a brew pub next to the station on our way back guzzling home-made lager from glasses so large they could only be lifted with two hands.
snow report
Thanx Corky, will try

Ended up just emailing a load of hotels directly rather than relying on the availability search on the Mayrhofen website and 3 or 4 have come back with availability, so bit happier now Happy
ski holidays
Hello, I always have a boys trip to austria every year. For the last 2 years we have done Obertauern. Fantastic skiing and fantastic Apres !!!!!!!

Google wintersonne - they are apartments away from the hotel whereby noise is not an issue. They do great 6 man apartments. We are going in March (12 of us)
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:

It can easily take an hour in the ski season just to drive from the Bischofshofen interchange to Zell. They have also had some serious landslides along the B311 recently and there are several, sometimes long delays at temporary trafiic lights near Taxenbach and one of the tunnels between Schwarzach and Lend (turn off for the Gasteinertal).

just did this drive again... well Zell to Munich airport and thought I'd update.

2 hours 15 mins approx
very little traffic
speed limits respected
went via Kossen/Walchsee rather than the signposted route
snow report
We usually do Munich Airport to the Hoff in 1 hr 45 respecting all (well most) speed limits. Have done it in 1 1/2.
snow report
Adam123, that route is a really good one on a Sunday as the trucks are banned. It's a pig on a Saturday or in the ski season as all the locals use it and there are few overtaking opportunities on it.

Ghost Dog, not respecting the speed limits! Mayrhofen is a good hour from where I live on the Austrian-German border near the Inntal interchange.

Yes, on a quiet clear weather night with no traffic or road works and all the speed limits switched off, you could plausibly make it. However the reality is that you need to plan in at least 2.5 hours into your journey to be sure. In high season maybe 3 hours is a better guestimate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy