Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going commando. Is it wise for a beginner?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, all.
I'm off to Tremblant at the beginning of Feb for a couple of weeks and have never skied before.
My understanding is that it will probably be quite cold and having read endless guides and topics on what to wear, what's good, what's not, how to wear it etc. I plumped for a HH jacket and trousers as these seem to fit the bill. Now it's time to get my base layers. I probably should have done this the other way round, but hey-ho.
I was looking at the HH Warm Ice top and bottoms (yes, I know, but we sell it and I get a decent discount) when I suddenly wondered whether or not I should be wearing underwear. I don't usually wear anything on my nether regions and I don't want to make the mistake of getting too hot. As the trousers are insulated and I would be then wearing warm leggings under those, would it be a mistake to wear underwear?

If you feel I should wear something, could you recommend something?

TIA
Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't normally wear boxers under thermals and salopettes. Gets all bunched up and uncomfortable, and doesn't serve any useful purpose. As far as I'm concerned thermal leggings count as underwear...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Barrieluv, try it. If your bits get cold, put more pants on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobmcstuff: That's what I thought. Nothing worse than the feeling of being "mugged".

Lizzard: Well, yeah, but that answer was one of those "stating the bleedin' obvious" ones that went through my head before posting Very Happy Didn't stop me asking though!
However, I just didn't want to spend money on something I may not use and have it take up space in the bag.

Thanks guys. Looks like no undies for me.

As an aside, should I bother getting a bum guard (or whatever the technical term for it is)?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or a Sock.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lightningdan wrote:
Or a Sock.
Not sure they do my size Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Barrieluv wrote:
As an aside, should I bother getting a bum guard (or whatever the technical term for it is)?

Not unless you've booked here inadvertently...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Barrieluv wrote:

Are you contemplating being jailed while over there?

Anyway congrats on a great first post blending gear geekery with a hint of smut and bragging.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Barrieluv, I can't believe I am giving an adult man advice on how to wear his knickers. Laughing

However ...

- as a skier you are unlikely to need impact shorts. If you want to use them anyway, wearing pants will mean you don't have to wash them all the time.
- personally I find that wearing thermal tights under insulated trousers makes me far too hot even in deepest January.
- pants of some nature can be useful in the event of someone removing your trousers (eg in the medical centre). You may therefore wish to consider fancy trendy pants for this purpose rather than M&S Y-fronts.
- it is inadvisable to spend too much on these pants as the first thing to happen on arrival at A&E is that some young woman removes them and they disappear.

Much of this pants advice brought to you by Mr L, who is likewise not a big underwearer but who has extensive experience of having his pants removed by attractive young nurses. Apparently.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blimey, I'm beginning to think I may have joined a Carry On Films Appreciation forum by mistake!

Chasseur: No, but I wouldn't say no to it. The resort, I mean. Fnarr, fnarr etc. Laughing

fatbob: I once managed a similar accolade on a Linux forum. Thanks for that! Very Happy

Lizzard: Mother always advised wearing clean undies in the event of being hit by a bus. Why they would be clean after being hit by a bus is anyone's guess, but she never mentioned skiing or attractive young nurses. I wonder why. Laughing

Perhaps Mr L would like to provide some pictoral evidence to support his claims.

On second thoughts, maybe not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just remember if you have an accident, especially one involving the legs, you will end up sitting in the doctors surgery in your knickers or if you have none on then all your glory
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been there, done it. Twisted my knee quite badly on a particularly frantic night out clubbing. I had to have an x-ray and the nurse asked me to remove my trousers while she went to do something. When she returned, she burst out laughing and said she meant for me to keep my underwear on. When I explained I didn't have any she got me a small blanket which I think she used to wipe away her tears before handing it to me. Laughing

Ah, they were the days...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Barrieluv, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

Just be careful about going commando if like these skiers on Cairngorm you choose to wear a kilt, it makes it a bit windy around the Trossachs! :

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Barrieluv, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

Just be careful about going commando if like these skiers on Cairngorm you choose to wear a kilt, it makes it a bit windy around the Trossachs! :

Now, THAT looks like fun!

*sigh* I have so much to learn...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Barrieluv wrote:
... asked me to remove my trousers while she went to do something. When she returned, she burst out laughing ...

What were you saying previously about your "sock" size? wink
snow report
Always, but always, wear underpants - you never know what might happen:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/skier-suffers-exposure
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Barrieluv wrote:
... asked me to remove my trousers while she went to do something. When she returned, she burst out laughing ...

What were you saying previously about your "sock" size? wink
I merely said they may not have my size... I wasn't suggesting that I would need to go to Mothercare or, conversely, the Big & Tall store. Little Angel
snow report
Quote:

When she returned, she burst out laughing and said she meant for me to keep my underwear on.

Was it very cold?
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

When she returned, she burst out laughing and said she meant for me to keep my underwear on.

Was it very cold?
NHS hospitals tend to have the heating on full blast all year round, so, no.

Aaaaanyway, as far as I can make out, it's going to be much easier to not wear underwear and be a bit chilly for the day than to wear some, overheat and then attempt to cool down by removing them when on a mountain. Perhaps that's what the chap on the ski-lift was attempting to do.
snow conditions
Barrieluv wrote:
Blimey, I'm beginning to think I may have joined a Carry On Films Appreciation forum by mistake!

Chasseur: No, but I wouldn't say no to it. The resort, I mean. Fnarr, fnarr etc. Laughing

fatbob: I once managed a similar accolade on a Linux forum. Thanks for that! Very Happy

Lizzard: Mother always advised wearing clean undies in the event of being hit by a bus. Why they would be clean after being hit by a bus is anyone's guess, but she never mentioned skiing or attractive young nurses. I wonder why. Laughing

Perhaps Mr L would like to provide some pictoral evidence to support his claims.

On second thoughts, maybe not.

There are several pics of Mr L's back bottom hanging out on this forum already. None of them had attractive nurses on them though.
latest report
Barrieluv, and if you aren't wearing underwear, you will need a spare pair of thermals .
snow conditions
Tremblant has a reputation for being extremely cold. You'll need thermals or skidders, possibly both.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Barrieluv, and if you aren't wearing underwear, you will need a spare pair of thermals .

I intend to take three sets. Wear one, wash one, the others "just in case".

By the way, does anyone have any experience of the Uniqlo Heattech stuff? I was considering it, it's a damn sight cheaper than what I have in mind, but technical info seems a little thin on the ground and what there is, is somewhat contradictory.
snow conditions
Barrieluv, Just make sure that you do up the vents in your HH trousers - Tremblant is a family resort after all.
ski holidays
Barrieluv, I prefer a thong: It has the advantage it can be used as a catapult to fend off the natives should an emergency occur. Embarassed
snow report
Jivebaby wrote:
Barrieluv, I prefer a thong: It has the advantage it can be used as a catapult to fend off the natives should an emergency occur. Embarassed

Hmm... Yeah, I could wear it with thermal hold-ups...
latest report
I have NEVER thought of not wearing scants under my thermals, you people are vile Shocked (that said, one pair of each perfectly acceptable to last a weeks skiing Toofy Grin )
latest report
Why not? I just find boxers are an unnecessary extra layer under thermals that get all bunched up and sweaty.

Although come to think of it I regularly ski without thermal bottoms so obviously wear boxers under my salopettes then...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobmcstuff, pfft boxers, another fashion victim. Big skiddie y-fronts/briefs the only way to go, conform around the boys very supportively, no bunching, no inadvertant "flop out"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy