Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski's for a BASI gap course/further instructing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing a BASI gap course with Skivo2 in courchevel, starting in January. I've just been to get my atomic Hawks fitting today and they are lovely. Now i need to choose a ski to ski and teach on for this season and a southern hemisphere season in NZ in July.
I've narrowed it down to the Salomon Enduro 800, Atomic Theory or Atomic Crimson.
Basically what i want to know is what you guys would suggest. The Salomons are more piste based and the atomics are both more off piste powder skis.
I don't know what percentage of skiing I'm going to do on piste or off-piste.
Basically any instructors out there who have done the Level 2 and then gone on to teach afterward - what would you suggest i go for?
Cheers in advanced guys Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See also http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81490

Do Amer fit a brainwashing chip with every BASI information pack (or are the sweetheart deals just too good? wink )

Sorry not aimed at you Alex. I'd just get something middle of the road in a 70-80 waist and no twin tip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Head Titans.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That was it, I'm more tempted to look at the Salomons as they are much more piste ski's. The theory's are big wide ski's and i can just imagine them being slow on piste.
Not sure i got the "Amer" comment Smile feel free to elaborate...
Cheers anyway
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, just google the Head Titans as far as i can tell they are race skis, is that the kind of ski i want for a BASI course, because I'm certain at some point I'm going to be skiing some off-piste and "hopefully" some powder, weather permitting.
I'll definitely bow down to your superior knowledge but it just wouldn't be the type of skis that would jump to mind for a season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alexwillard, I would go for a de-tuned slalom ski, you should be able to ski it in all snows at BASI2 level. Something with good side cut will make bumps carving, speed, steeps and demonstrations a breeze; the Theory, I have a pair is not suitable. BASI 2 is an on piste teaching qualification so I would bear that in mind.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alexwillard, Amer is a company that owns Salomon and Atomic.

The Titans are in no way race skis. You can't by race skis in normal shops, usually. They are a slightly wider version of a performance piste ski.

The skis don't really matter all that much, especially as you'll be snowploughing around in all your lessons. If it was me, and I could only afford one pair, I'd get the Theory's, but I don't know how good a skier you are (and how much you ski offpiste in your own time - I spend most of my freetime offpiste). FWIW I happily teach on 92mm Dynastar Big Trouble twins. When teaching beginners the twin tip can be really useful (you can end up skiing backwards a lot), and having a slightly softer flexing ski can be nice too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic, Cheers, that is good to know Very Happy so you think those heads or a race ski from anyone would be the type I want? Any recommendations? Or is that asking a bit much Twisted Evil
Cheers either way Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You don't want a race ski, but no-one has recommended a race ski yet either (normal piste ski with 'race' written on it is NOT a race ski).

If you want the best of both worlds check out the Dynastar Sultan 85.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, Right okay thankyou Smile so basically you're saying that it's personal preference; in that it doesn't have much an effect on the course? Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep. When I did my Anwaerter (Austrian base quali) the only advice was 'not race skis'. People did it and passed on a wide variety of skis - my mate on 105mm K2 Seths. If you're a good enough skier you should have no problems on 95mm skis, although if you're not so good you can probably get away with more on a piste ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alexwillard wrote:
clarky999, Right okay thankyou Smile so basically you're saying that it's personal preference; in that it doesn't have much an effect on the course? Very Happy

Choose a ski that allows you to ski to a performance level on piste would be my advice. I've done all my courses on piste skis which are about 78mm underfoot and relatively stiff (with the exception of Mountain safety, which was on a pair of off-piste skis).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Okay thanks for everyones advice. Looks like I will be going with some type of piste ski then Smile
Cheers for the help
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar +1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy