Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self teaching children

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
bobmcstuff, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a shame this thread has been resurrected. I am not sure what the pizza death wedge kid adds to the debate. We have no idea if the child was being ski schooled or not. All we know is some dumb ass parents took their kid out on a slope, seem to lose control and freeze up, and the parents didn't seem to make much effort aside from shouting pizza to prevent the situation. I am not trying to defend them but maybe it started out as a bit of a "joke" that got out of hand. Maybe they thought the kid was actually capable of handling it and only late on realised they couldn't. How many adults have we all seen lose it on a slope. Should we all only ever ski under certified supervision? Should we be licenced to ski? Anyway no more on that video from me, apart from yes, you wonder why they would stick it in the public domain.

I think it is worth reiterating the split between teaching your kids and skiing with your kids. Whilst it's I think it's totally understandable and acceptable that the majority don't want to teach their kids. I don't understand why you would not want to ski with them. You can have so much fun and what better way to spend some time with them than chatting on the lift, cruising down the mountainside, picnicking or lunching on the hill.

In terms of teaching young children to ski I think there a two questions to be asked:

1) Are you able to teach and demonstrate to a sufficient level.

2) Do you have the patience and temperament to do it.

The answer to either of those questions are not black and white, nor do they hold true at all times. Everyone has their limits.

Beyond that it comes down to a combination of money, attitude, culture, selfishness even plus probably a good number of other individual factors.

I also think it's worth thinking about age. Our kids are pretty young. The capacity for discussing the nuances of technique, doing drills, is limited. And their interest in skiing extends to how much fun they are having. As they get older I've no doubt this will change.

In terms of advancing your ability I think for older children and adults it is always a case of small amounts of instruction followed by practice. Effectively the former will always be one to one because even if you are in a group lesson the instructor will pick out individual faults, or next steps. All you are doing then is effectively practicing with a peer group as opposed to a "social" group. I think the difference is probably less than we think.

It's also worth bearing in mind that this is not a one way for life, or even a one way for the week thing. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to mix things up according the circumstances. Is good instruction available, can certain groups work well together, etc.

Above all, it's meant to be fun. Some may have fun teaching their children, some may have fun skiing with their children, some children may have fun skiing with other children. Sometimes one or the other has to forego some of their fun for the sake of the other. It's not necessarily cruel or irresponsible either way. And occasionally things do go wrong. It doesn't black ball the principle. People have had bad experiences in ski school, some people had bad experiences of teaching or even skiing with children or friends.

When you are talking about children things can quickly get very personal. What can be more insulting than being told you are parenting badly. The responsibility for your children is immense. So criticism is magnified and it's hard to have an amicable debate on the subject.

Anyway, this thread has certainly made me think. Nothing has changed for us right now but it who knows it may do in the future. Certainly it's a subject to tread very carefully around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crikey, I totally misunderstood the pizza thing. I thought the adult was tryig to encourage the child with the promise of a pizza at the end of a run. Much like shouting "drink" to father Jack.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

In terms of teaching young children to ski I think there a two questions to be asked:

1) Are you able to teach and demonstrate to a sufficient level.

2) Do you have the patience and temperament to do it.

You missed the most important one - can you keep it safe.

And the second most - can you make it fun.

Ski terrain is often deceptive. After a few weeks you look at a lot of blue slopes and they seem all but flat - but not to a newbie with poor control. Pretty sure that's what happened in the video, poor terrain judgement. Saw a similar thing in Saalbach over Christmas. We were running the kids end of week race, and some Dad was teaching his kid, on the nursery slope by the Thurm chairlift. Within 2 metres of the top it was in it's death wedge, travelled half the length of the slope accelerating all the way, then smashed into our safety netting. Could have been a lot worse. Most people looking at that slope would think it's ideal newbie terrain, not so.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a client on Sunday (Dry Slope) - Eight year old girl who has skied approx 8 weeks on snow and has Swiss Parents. Had great fun skiing with her and a very rewarding day as an instructor.

Was speaking to the mother after the session and she was explaining how hard she found it to teach her etc etc and she thought that I made it look easy. I said thanks and that not all parents who can ski can teach their own citing an example of an excellent Level 3 instructor I know who refuses to teach his own kids.

Turns out Mammy is an ex Europa Cup racer, Embarassed Embarassed Que quick back track in my head to make sure I had not said anything Dumb!

Moral of the story = Even ex Europa cup racers & Level 3 ISIA find it hard to teach their OWN Kids
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe you instructors need a reciprocal arrangement of 'I'll teach your kids if you will teach mine!!!' Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
Maybe you instructors need a reciprocal arrangement of 'I'll teach your kids if you will teach mine!!!' Laughing
Scott and I have a similar arrangement with our partners Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Inside Out Swinging.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stop sniggering at the back of the class!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, Laughing Laughing I think Outside Swinging is called something else Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Megamum, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy