Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val , Tignes , Chamonix , Les2Alps , which one should i go?!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello guys.

In the past few years i´ve been in Méribel (last season) , Formigal , Val Disére and Pas-de-la-casa.
I´m Portuguese although i work in the uk and this year there´s 4 of us coming from Portugal to travel from
Dunkerque to the Alps.

Since ever i always did self-catering apartments and this year we are 2 couples , from which the men are good snowboarders and 1 of the girls is 1 time and the other one 2 time skiing.

Since i went to Val it´s my favourite Resort without a doubt Toofy Grin

I was thinking of going to Tignes this time around and i love skiing in altitude , last march was a little bit disapointing in Méribel (i know it wasn´t a good season).

The thing is that i wanted to go to to Chamonix as well or Les2Alps because i´ve never been there.

We are going on the week of 04/02 so shouldn´t be problems with both crowds and good quality snow...

The thing is that we are going a little bit on a "budget" and of course these are the most expensive ones.

I was looking for deals for this week and there isn´t many...

When is the best time to look for this specific week in search for deals? Val or Chamonix? I´ve looked on skiplanet and it´s not bad at all for 1 week (Tignes) with ski-pass but that´s just concerning Tignes and not the full espace killy.

Then of course i know i would reduce drasticaly the cost if i went to other resorts because in february there´s plenty of snow everywhere.

So Val , Tignes , Chamonix or Les2alps?

Oh , nightlife it´s not very important....

Thank you

Blush
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're on a budget, 2Alpes is far the cheapest of those resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
budget: 2alps.
best resort: Cham
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boardiac wrote:
budget: 2alps.
best resort: Cham

+1

However, I'd prob save Chamonix till the ladies have got a bit more slope time under there belt. Terrain is best for intermediates+ and the faff of buses (which I have no problem) can put a novice off skiing totally! I love Cham though!!

Edit: Cham can be done by novices, they just need to really be up for the skiing. It can also be done on a budget!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
manicpb, good point. I have friends who went to Chamonix as relative beginners and said just that - suited to better skiers and messing about with buses was a faff for them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you go to Tignes, and get the full Espace Killy ski pass you'll also be able to return to Val D'Isere.

If you are on a budget there is always Chalet Chardon, which is in Tignes les Brevieres, at the bottom of the mountain, but only a couple of minute walk to the first lift. They can sort out the ski pass for you too.

Like I say , it is a cheap option, but you cannot beat it for value.

http://www.chaletchardons.com/skiing-resort.html

I love Tignes and Val. If I had to go on a budget I would probably go back here.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you very much , the choice of chaletchardons seems veryyyyy atractive SmileSmile

The lift is nearby , it´s quiet and you can´t beat the price! Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Jony, the main building is shared hostel-like accomodation. I don't know if you and your friends are wanting that. But I beleive they also have a couple of apartments so they may be able to help you that way. Enjoy.

Off to St Anton in January, can't wait!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jony azenhas wrote:

there´s 4 of us coming from Portugal to travel from
Dunkerque to the Alps.

Ferries to Dunkerque may be cheap but is there not an easier way to get there from Portugal then (maybe i misunderstood and you are all coming from the UK)? Puzzled

Otherwise I agree with Lizzard that the best deals will most likely be for Les Deux Alpes and then Tignes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
XPeak wrote:
jony azenhas wrote:

there´s 4 of us coming from Portugal to travel from
Dunkerque to the Alps.

Ferries to Dunkerque may be cheap but is there not an easier way to get there from Portugal then (maybe i misunderstood and you are all coming from the UK)? Puzzled

Otherwise I agree with Lizzard that the best deals will most likely be for Les Deux Alpes and then Tignes.
Sorry i didn´t explain myself properly...

I work on the DFDS ferries that goes on the Dover-Dunkerque route.

I stay onboard the ship for 2 weeks and then 2 weeks off.

The other couple will fly to London (take advantage and see London for 2 days because they have place to stay) and then we travel together by ferrie (we won´t pay because i work there) and hyre a car on hertz because i have a big discount due to DFDS.

We could fly from London to Grenoble/Geneva and the other couple from Lisbon but with gear , transfers between airport to resorts split between the 4 is cheaper to rent the car and go by dunkerque...

I flew last year and it was nice but having a car is much better...

I´m checking Tignes and Les2alps at the moment , where the best deal is i´ll go for it! Razz

When usually for this specific date comes better deals or from now on only be more expensive?!

I saw 1 very good deal for La Grave but how is the conections for the other resorts?! Just wondering....

Cheers

Blush Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Understood about the ferry now jony azenhas and agree that having a car is better.

Would only consider La Grave if you are looking for serious off-piste and just that (ok someone may say there is the lovely tiny ski area of Le Chazelet nearby but still). It does link to Les Deux Alpes via the glacier at the top but the link is not always open and frankly it's not the best way to access the ski area there if that's all you are interested in. The nearest resorts to drive to are Serre-Che Monetier, L2A and Alpe d'Huez but they are still at least 25-30 mins away and whilst when I have been staying in those resorts I have enjoyed coming to La Grave for a day or two I would not necessarily base myself in La Grave just to ski in other resorts nearby but then why not if you like driving on mountain roads.

If you like more standard types of resorts then L2A may be better. In terms of deals for 4/2 it's still a bit early. At the moment what you get is a pretty wide choice so you can pick what really suits you. There will probably be deals later for that particular week but then the choice may turn out a lot more narrow so it will be more a question of booking what's left rather than what you are looking for. A lot of our early booking deals have just ended at the end of October. Serre-Chevalier, not that far from La Grave & L2A may be worth considering too. We have really great prices at a brand new self-catering residence right by the lift in Briancon for instance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jony azenhas, given the nature of your group (one first timer, one very limited experience) you do NOT want to be seduced by cheap deals for La Grave. Your ladies will not be able to deal with the terrain, and your beginner will probably never go skiing again.

Check these people out for reasonably priced accommodation in 2Alpes: http://www.scuba-ski.com/ski/pricesbalcons.php

If you have a car you will also be able to take advantage of the Grande Galaxie system, which gives you two days in Alpe d'Huez and one each in Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre, Puy St Vincent and the Milky Way, as long as you have a six-day pass. Of these, Alpe d'Huez and Serre Chevalier are closest.

If you go for 2Alpes, I suggest you all go over to Serre Chevalier one day early enough to get first lifts then knock off skiing early and go to the thermal baths at Monetier - indoor/outdoor hot springs, steamrooms, saunas and a jacuzzi on the upstairs balcony with a view of the mountains. It's a fabulous way to end a day's skiing and your girlies will love it. Pay the extra fiver for the exclusive upstairs bit, because that's where the jacuzzi with the view is. And the saunas. (I like these better than steam rooms.)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys Very Happy

I´m liking all your ideas and from those 2 the 1 from Lizzard is very good Smile

Actually i´ve been all day searching the web and i saw more than 50/60 websites that´s for sure!

Still waiting for few answers from tignes and the tignes uk website have very good prices for apartments!

More or less the same as the ones from Lizzard website...

I saw igluski , snowtrex , skiplanet (found good ones as well qith ski pass) , varied websites from chamonix , Les2alps...

Still searching , the best for me will go!

Oh , by the way , the closer the slopes the better Smile Smile

If you have more ideas please keep on coming! Smile Smile

I really enjoyed that 1 from the balcons... wink

Cheers Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and one more thing , i´ve seen that some apartments include bed-linen , towels , and local tax which is a bonus Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After some reflection i decided to go to Tignes Les Brévieres Very Happy Very Happy

The Village seems lovely and in February the snow will be top notch and i love to ski down in the end of the day Toofy Grin

Even comparing with other resorts it´s very high (almost as Val) and the lift is just 2 minutes walking wink

Probably i´m just going to change the way of travel.

I´m going to Geneva from London and the other couple to Geneva from Lisbon, then hire a car for a week ( cheaper than transferes between all of us) so that we can
go shopping because we´re going self-catering. In the end Geneva to Lisbon.

We´re not too much into nightlife and i think you can have the best of 2 worlds: Scenic Village and sking by the door (almost anyway Madeye-Smiley)

I stayed once in Brides-Les-Bains and althought for some people was good for me wasn´t very much because i like to be
early on the slopes! wink

I´ll do a Trip Report just to let you guys know
Little Angel

Still seeing some option for 2alps but i "think" i made my mind Very Happy
ski holidays
That´s it , going to Les Brévieres Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Booked a chalet through http://www.themountainrescue.com/ self-catering Smile Smile

Very happy , let the time pass quickly , bring the snow! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy