Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves for COLD fingers

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

My gloves have finally died a death and I am looking for some new ones. Obviously I would normally go for the ones "with nice colours" but as I am out there for a season I think I should get some that actually keep my fingers warm. I presume I have a circulatory issue as my fingers are pretty much always cold and I haven't found any gloves so far that overcome it. Also I tend to take them off a lot to fiddle with my snowboard - probably why my fingers got cold, so they need to be flexible (not mittens) so I dont have to take them off all the time.

Can anyone recommend some good gloves (not crazy money) that will last at least half a season and will keep my fingers warm and dry? Thank you oh wise folk.

Nade
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Reynauds, which means the circulation in my extermities is rubbish and my fingers go white and numb very easily. I bough some Degre 7 gloves in Snow and Rock last year, although they were in the sale, and I think I paid about £35 for them from memory. After using them, and noticing how better they were, I would have quite gladly paid full price, as I'm sure you'll agree, there's nothing more miserable than cold hands.

I also use glove liners, as I find I can go in my pockets, answer my phone etc without exposing my hands to the cold, as once you do get a chill with Reynauds, it takes ages to warm them up again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hestra gloves with silk glove liners (from Patra) are usually effective for me. It's important that any glove liners are not too bulky, because if the whole thing ends up being too tight, thus impeding circulation, you will immediately get cold hands.

A friend of mine who lives in Canada has a cunning pair of mitts, of which she can fold back the tops to reveal (built-in) gloves, thus enabling her to fiddle with boots, lipsalve etc. That strikes me as being a great idea, I have no idea what make they are, or whether they're available in Europe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:

A friend of mine who lives in Canada has a cunning pair of mitts, of which she can fold back the tops to reveal (built-in) gloves, thus enabling her to fiddle with boots, lipsalve etc. That strikes me as being a great idea, I have no idea what make they are, or whether they're available in Europe.

My wife has a pair like that as well purchased in the UK, but sorry Nade she has no idea where she bought them!
So they are available but where from......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear mittens, much warmer than gloves and useful if you ever need to punch anyone... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/electric-heated-premium-gloves-medium-large-531709
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the temperature plummets then you need mitts - I use Black Diamond Mercury mitts with chemical handwarmers inside and then a pair of thin liners as well that I keep on when I need more dexterity..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have some Level 'Lobster claw" gloves for when it gets cold. Mmmmmmmmm toasty.

(these omes http://www.levelgloves.com/freeride.php?recordID=startriggerlogos.gif)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have north face gortex mittens (I think they cost about £50 many years ago: about 10), and I recently purchased some silk thermal liner gloves as well. I tend not to try and fiddle with things when it is very cold, and mittens are usually fine. They do keep fingers warmer. The liner gloves will be warm enough if I have to fiddle with anything in the cold.

I lost one glove once, and that taught me an important lesson regarding the price of gloves and whether or not you are prepared to lose them. I went into the tourist information at Tignes les Lac and asked if anyone had handed in a glove. They went under the counter and produced a huge box full of single gloves. Sadly, the partner of my single glove was not there and so I just gave it up as lost. (I did not drop it from a lift I think I must have just left it on a bench or something when out for some apres ski)

There is a zip at the back of the mittens where you can put a hand warmer, but I have never used such things (although I do have a couple for emergencies)

I am considering sewing the mittens to my ski jacket (and putting my name on them too!)

NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blatent rip off from another thread from SH, but have a look here.....pretty cheap, and if good enough for the pisteurs and instructors...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80617

No personal experience, but seems that those who have tried them have had a good experience...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hestra Mitts, found mine to be very warm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mitts are warmer and quicker on/off (useful for photography).

For cold powder try North Face Goretex Down/ Synthetic 800 "Himalayan" Mitts. I picked up a pair last season and wore them in everything including days when the snow's too cold to work (minus 30 something). They're the warmest usable mitts I've come across and they still work in rain.

Cost a zillion pounds in the UK, but you can get them for less out in the real world.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mitts with internal fingers, and silk liners if it's really cold. I've just bought some Scott Traverse's and they're great.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 Hestra Mitts
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-3-finger/

Hestra "lobster" , with a further liner if needs be. "Handcuffs" also very useful for on/off moments. C. £100 but you are set for life . Handcuffs mean you don't lose them either!
snow conditions
Thank you all for your advice. I think a pair of Hestra mitts sound like a good investment. Many thanks indeed.

S
latest report
I would have thought that your ring would have kept one hand warm, judging by the light it gives out.

I can think of better ways to keep your hands warm.

(See if you can find some Scott 3L Gloves, they are a mitt / glove combo of three layers: base layer (glove), mid layer has those fold back mitts to expose your gloved fingers (ideal for binding tampering), outer layer is a big waterproof mitt. In -20 you can stick a hand warmer in too)
ski holidays
Another vote for Hestras from me, they are super warm andseem to last forever.

On a side note if they don't come with "minders" it's really easy to make some yourself with elastic and one of those spring things you use to tighten drawcords (I have completely forgotten what they're called)
snow conditions
Mitts are better for warmer fingers so I would go with those.
Mine are surfanic mitts and are very good. Inexpensive too.
snow conditions
Hestra mitts are very warm, make sure you get the goretex version as the non goretex are not waterproof. Was in Flaine a few years ago, the ski instructors all wore marigolds under their Hestras when the weather was bad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy