Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest Runs

Poster: A snowHead
eng_ch, Which is larger a smidge or a whisker? wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Agreed down in Villaroger things can get a bit dodgy towards the end.....

They've put in a load more snow cannons this year......can't have the imminent future development of Villaroger having muddy pistes, can we?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Mayrhofen run from the top of the Ahorn all the way down into the village is a lovely run; almost 1500m vertical descent and some stunning views on the way down over the town and down the valley. A proper thigh burner, rewarded by a cold beer in the umbrella bar at the bottom.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Les Arcs run to Villaroger is only 7 km long despite 2026 metres in vertical drop which indicates why it is such a good run, especially if you take the steeper options - it isn't just a scenic wander (though it is scenic). Some of the off-piste ways down to Villaroger from the same start (off the back of the mountain) are extremely challenging - some too challenging for me!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

just a scenic wander (though it is scenic).

last time I did that run the scenary was, well, not visible at all, thick fog/mist or cloud till about the last 200 metres meant I could only just see 10 feet in front. On the upside I still enjoyed the run down and lunch avec vin rouge was pretty darned good also.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
My favourites:-

1. Top of Schindlergratbahn down to Stuben (Arlberg)

Done that a few times without any stops, any idea how long it is? Certainly a fun run and a decent gradient with some side stuff to pop into if conditons merit Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my favorits if the snow allowed it is from Pointe de Bouchet 3420m with a little travers down to the highroad near Orelle I think 900m, thats make a verticaldrop of 2520m,, the distance in km is not not important for me,,,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Cascades in the GM 14km from top of Flaine down to Sixt, 1800m vertical. Doesn't get beyond blue, some polling.

The best combo in my opinion is Tete de Veret down into the Gers bowl, lunch in the Gite de Gers (though I doubt it’s only 14 euro for three courses still) then down Cascades to the bottom.

The only drawback of the above is you ski into the gite and don’t get to use the comedy piste phone and the subsequent tow behind the skidoo.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl "Eleven" 11km

The 'Eleven' ski piste is one of the longest ski pistes in Austria, with a drop of 1,472 metres

http://youtube.com/v/1O0ZFscXcpk

http://www.ischgl.com/maps/?type=flash&langauge=en&startdata=tippW&tippID=1142

Nevados de Chillan, formely known as Termas de Chillan, Chile

"Las Tres Marías" South America's longest run (13 kilometers (8 miles)

http://youtube.com/v/EkwEfBdNZlY
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely the longest run is just the distance you can ski on a pisted run from one high point until you stop going downhill. Which would make the ski from the Klein Matterhorn down to Vallorcine below Cervinia the longest continuous downhill ski in the world at about 21 - 22 kilometres.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-11-11 19:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, nice olde skool legs locked together in that first vid and from presumably someone in the local ski school...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Longest run possible, although very off piste and rarely in condition that I know of is Mont Blanc Summit to Le Fayet 4807m to 580m a drop of some 4200m!

It does get skied from time to time
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
milestaylor wrote:
Surely the longest run is just the distance you can ski on a pisted run from one high point until you stop going downhill. Which would make the ski from the Klein Matterhorn down to Vallorcine below Cervinia the longest continuous downhill ski in the world at about 21 - 22 kilometres.

But it's not continuous, there is a short chair, can't remember the name but it's marked 'g' on the pistemap, which you need to get up to Col inf. Cime Bianche. Otherwise I'm sure it would be.

If it was on the other side of the border the Swiss would probably just build a tunnel to make it possible Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry stoat of the dead, even if you skip the bottom 200 meters because of poor conditions, dropping from the top of Aiguille Rouge is very good on piste and one of my all time favorite off piste.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Sarenne in Alpe d'Huez - 11km, IIRC

Bit short there more like 16km wink Of which around 11km is a flat cart track or seemed like it. Toofy Grin

The Champagne Run in Alpe d'Huez is the better run. From the top of Pic Blanc, down The Tunnel, onto Couloir, round Les Rousses, down Chalets and the drop down La Fare. 2230m of vert all on piste down to L'Enversin. It's a great blast.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
I thought the run from the top at Cervinia down to Valtournenche was 22km, or isn't it classified as one run? It must have a drop of well over 2000m too. It doesn't half blow the cobwebs away first thing in the morning. Last time I was in Zermatt I got the first lift up and after skiing down from the top I was having coffee in Valtournenche by 10.

Yes, this is the longest I've done, I'm not sure how it is classified...but what a run - esp the final third or so through the trees before it flattens out.

Also big thumbs up to that one from the top of 2 alpes - love that, loving your style Colin, both awesome long linked runs.
snow report
leedssteve wrote:
Colin B wrote:
I thought the run from the top at Cervinia down to Valtournenche was 22km, or isn't it classified as one run? It must have a drop of well over 2000m too. It doesn't half blow the cobwebs away first thing in the morning. Last time I was in Zermatt I got the first lift up and after skiing down from the top I was having coffee in Valtournenche by 10.

Yes, this is the longest I've done, I'm not sure how it is classified...but what a run - esp the final third or so through the trees before it flattens out.

Also big thumbs up to that one from the top of 2 alpes - love that, loving your style Colin, both awesome long linked runs.

The Valtourneche run is the longest I've done, loved the section with the blind rollovers and as you say the bottom area through the trees. I was there in the mid 90's and remember the only downside was the seemingly endless bubblecar ride back.
snow conditions
Most vert. possible is just under 5.5km. Its in Alaska - Mont Saint Elias, its possible to ski the summit to sea level.

A couple of gents say they have done it but not all in one run Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

from the Klein Matterhorn down to Vallorcine

Wow - From Zermatt all the way to Vallorcine (near Chamonix) - that would be a hell of a run ! Toofy Grin

Isn't it called the Haut Route
snow report
Quote:

The Valtourneche run is the longest I've done

Me too, I think. 2300m top to bottom and sticking to the right (as you look at the map) the whole way.

Stopped twice on the way down as the views were fantastic. The moguls on the last bit less so...
snow report
Quote:

stanton, nice olde skool legs locked together in that first vid and from presumably someone in the local ski school...

as my brother in law who can ski anything with absolute perfect style, technique and grace says when people ask him why does he ski with his boots touching......

"because i can"
ski holidays
Great forum question this ..........

My 5 favourite long runs are :

1. Les Arcs, Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger 20k
2. Cervinia top to Valtournanche 25k
3. Bad Hofgastein top down Kleine Scharte to base station 12k ish
4. Stubai top down Wilde Gruben to Valley Station 19k - superb at end of a long sunny day, ends at the bar !
5. Top Bellecote Glacier ( La Plagne ) down towards Montchavin ?k

My distances are approx ,see piste maps.

All immensely enjoyable runs for intermediate cruising......! Cool
ski holidays
immer schuss wrote:
2. Cervinia top to Valtournanche 25k

Hardly a 'run'. There's at least one lift in this one, up into the Valtournanche valley, and 25km? Confused

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 6-11-11 20:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kitenski, Not locked together at all. Don't be misled by the effortless of his skiing, he is cruising the whole way, doing a guided tour. Very elegant and controlled the whole time. But each leg working independently and carving where he needed to with little or no effort. Not in the least bit "old school"!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Really, plenty of shots with zero daylight between the legs!!
snow conditions
kitenski, don't get bogged down with a particular "school" or style. He is a superb skier, we only see him taking things easy.
snow report
I have no doubt he is a good skier!!
snow conditions
As a single black run, the Sache in Tignes, though not as long as Alpe d'Huez's Sarenne, is an excellent run all the way down.

Although technically comprised of a number of different pistes, I really like going from the Saulire, up above Courchevel, all the way down to Le Praz in one go. The variety of run and surroundings is incredible, from steep and lunar through gently undulating to urban then tree lined and deserted.
And then there a crepes at the bottom!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
immer schuss wrote:

We did that one 3 or 4 years ago. Had a nip of sloe gin from a stainless steel hip flask before we started. Got the flask out at the end to celebrate and it had collapsed due to the pressure increase! Any idea of the stats of that run?
snow conditions
Bormio peak to creek longest ski race in the world. 10k 1800 mtrs vertical and st peters wall to make parts of your body twitch.
Cracking good fun, last years winning time 4.35 Shocked.This years race is on 14 jan.
ski holidays
I thought the longest ski race was the Weisse Ring in Lech/Zurs? I know it's not one run, but it's still a race, think it's the second weekend in Jan or thereabouts.
latest report
sequoiaboard wrote:
immer schuss wrote:

We did that one 3 or 4 years ago. Had a nip of sloe gin from a stainless steel hip flask before we started. Got the flask out at the end to celebrate and it had collapsed due to the pressure increase! Any idea of the stats of that run?

Montchavin is 1250m IIRC and the top lift is 3250m, so that's a 2k descent - pretty impressive.

Wasn't really skiable for that much of last season though... I remember going down in January and it was like skiing through a field at the bottom.
snow report
Or offpiste the same vertical descent on the North face - but much steeper. (Lots of different ways down - I've only done 3 of them)

(this is Cairn - after the steepest part. We are aiming for the road, just before the trees.)
ski holidays
I went to GM in early March and skied Cascades in glorious sun on perfect snow the whole way down (topped up a little with guns on the final switchbacks) and it was pretty lovely. I lost our water bottle on the DMC up I think, so the two of us were dangerously dehydrated by the bottom but still enjoyed it

However, we went back in January the next season and it hadn't opened yet. From scouring some blogs I think I eventually deduced it usually opens from the end of January to mid March

As far as longest pistes by classification

Overall longest (and longest rated black) in the Alps: Sarenne, Alpe D'Huez - 16km
Longest Red: ?
Longest Blue: Cascades, Grand Massif - 14km
Longest Green: ?

Anyone care to fill in the blanks for a fully concise answer?
snow report
Hmm. There's a long green run from Les Saisies to Crest Voland, extremely beautiful through the forest. I didn't know how long it was, but according to a website called "Escapade France" it's 12 kms.

Quote:
la piste forestière du chemin de la Palette s’étirant sur 12 Km de Bissane à Crest-Voland.

There are no doubt longer green runs elsewhere, though probably not more beautiful ones. Through the forest, with lovely glimpses of the Aravis. The snow is usually good. The last bit can get a bit rocky but I read recently that it's going to have a new cannon, on the section which gets a bit stoney.
snow report
Many decades ago my Father skied the Aletsch Glacier, in those days you got the first train up to Jungfraujoch (3450M) then skied the whole length of the Glacier, it's shrunk a bit now but is still over 23km in length In those days I think they took a route that came out at Blatten from where they would get transport back arriving on the last train of the day back at the resort, these days it would be a lot easier and faster to take a quick helicopter trip.

For a pisted run the path from Piz Gloria (above Murren) to Lauterbrunnen is 15.8 km in length dropping from 2971M to 796M or just over 7000 ft of vertical, this is the longest race track in the ski world! As the annual Inferno run takes place along it, due to the number of entries the Inferno also is the largest amateur ski race in the world.

The area has a surprisingly large number of long pisted runs with many red and blue runs of 7km or more, and of course it also has the longest FIS race the Lauberhorn with a length of 4430M and a vertical drop around 1025 M Course record is I believe 2 mins 24.23 secs average speed to achieve that 66mph
latest report
snebbit, The vert green run in Val that goes down to La Daille must be a contender. Crap run at the bottom though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy