Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4-year old ski lessons - advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Our 4-year old has just completed Stage 1 of the Chill Factore's Infant Ski Academy - nothing too exciting, just 3 x 50 minute sessions.

He has done OK but has been falling down quite a lot - not necessarily whilst gliding but when trying to side-step uphill or even standing still. No problem at all with me - he needs to learn at his own pace and enjoy the experience at the same time ...

And this is the key thing - after each lesson he tells us how great it's been, how much he's looking forward to the next one etc.

Does anyone have any specific advice for us - shall we give him a few weeks break and start all over again, carry on, wait a year etc?

We're off to Whistler for 3 weeks in March and was hoping that by then he'd be able to grasp the basics and have a smooth introduction to ski school - one option obviously would be to wait until then?

Many thanks.

Tony
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If he's enjoying it does it matter how much he falls over? I'd say keep as you are and maybe ask the same question if he still hasn't grasped it in a couple of years. Four year olds are great at telling the truth... Go with what he wants. Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He'll soon get it! If you can get him a private lesson it may speed things, my 4 year old struck lucky on her level 1 at Tamworth in that that she was the only one to turn up and don't know about the other domes but at Tamworth if one person has booked a lesson it runs! They say it typically takes 3 or 4 sessions at each level but after 50 min of 1 pupil to 2 instructors she did level 1 and 2 in one session each, level 3 (the standard to be allowed to do recreational skiing at Tamworth) in 2 sessions and after a week in the mountains following level 3 only 1 week in the U8s junior club before being told to go into in full junior club.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Four year olds are great at telling the truth...

Laughing how true!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All I know is how different kids can be at this stage.

Our eldest started at 4 in Scotland , keen and did well in what were pretty dire conditions ( low vis , blizzard , v cold ) and found french ski school easy.

Her sister , 6 years younger , never as keen at 4 years , wild mood swings between having fun and preferring a video in the chalet. Looking back we probably pushed her bit much as we parents wanted us to all ski together.

So all I would say is just see how it goes . If he wants to throw snow balls and bum board that's great , as is ski-ing as much as possible. These early years pass so fast that before you know it they are the ones out all day ( as it is for us now ) .

Fun first and foremost is best approach I think.

John
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everybody - I quite like the idea of a private lesson ...

Will probably see how he does with Stage 2 and then decide if a private lesson will benefit him.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dont be suprised if the transition from indoor - (i can see all the sides and its not scary) - to outdoor ( the opposite)
doesnt initially put them back a bit
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stick with it. They learn in fits and starts at that age. Group lessons are in my opinion fine, as they can quite enjoy the social and competitive aspect of being in a group, and it gives them a chance to rest every now and then (which for others might be a bad thing, you want to get as much activity from your lesson as possible, but at 4 the rests are important to keep them happy)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are going for private lessons then make then shorter periods of time if at all possible. Also keep going little but little as at that age if they have a growth spurt between now and going on holiday in March then their centre of gravity and balance will all be thrown off. It is imperative that the emphasis (as you are doing) remains on fun. Little by little they will get their. Trust what the instructors say at the snow dome and it should all work out just perfectly. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Afraid there is also the fact that little kids enjoy falling over/sprawling all over the floor! Was all part of the fun for my 2 (and even now they are pretty good skiers + aged 6 and 7 they still often flop in snow when we stop). Guess it means they get lots of practice getting up again!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franga, ...you probably have all the advice that you need but I will add that the quality of the school and the individual instructor is really crucial. ESF and ESS typically have groups of 12 and sometimes more and it often drives the instructors crazy - they are as unhappy about it as anxious parents but the schools seem to run these high ratios. My friend Yves insists on small groups at his school (SMS in Crans Montana) and frequently kids are in a group of three. This works, and with careful matching of instructor to age and language, loads of good learning and fun go on. In 3 valleys I know certain schools who have the same approach - and these small groups seem to work better than 1:1 private lessons, in my experience. I do not know the schools in Whistler and it's worth putting feelers out regarding group size and teaching approach. Good luck. Mine have learned at a scary rate at Yves' school and now hurtle confidently around in a skilled manner.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy