Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to wear under soft shell pants?

Poster: A snowHead
I've never had soft shell trousers before, but now I do. They don't have much insulation going on, so will need something underneath.

Suggestions invited on what will keep me warm on a ski lift in December, previously used insulated trousers with just a Helly Hansen base layer which was fine - ideally I'd like something at least as warm as that.

I do have lots and lots of thermal trousers, but they are all full length. All the thicker thermal stuff I have is full length too, and if I cut them off they'd be useless for other stuff.

So I think what I really want is something that will keep be nice and insulated and padded, that is 3/4 length, and that doesn't cost much.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a pair of uninsulated hard shell trousers at the end of last winter and anticipate the same problem. I've bought a pair of these to go underneath when it's ultra cold, not 3/4 length but I think they'll be OK (and cheap)
http://www.mandmdirect.com/products-Trekmates-Mens-Microfleece-Pants-Black_XT59.htm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium, if you have "lots and lots" of thermal trousers, you could just sacrifice one of them? With your HH base layer underneath, they'd not get too smelly in a week?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is the common solution to the problem of what to wear under softshell pants when it is cold....

http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0785562107502

Haglofs used to make insulated 3/4 lengh pants, but I don't think they make them anymore.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 29-10-11 23:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium, aldi merino base layer pants, you can cut them to 3/4 length as they are only about £12 thats all i used until I got my Ortovox stuff Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski has it right can't beat the aldi merino without spending 4 or 5 times the cash
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to add to this, and perhaps steer things in the right direction, the merino base layers aren't anywhere near warm enough for just them and the trousers. Needs to be something significantly warmer/thicker than that. I have used the Aldi merino layer under the insulated trousers and they were just about enough.

pam w, most of my thermals are for other things, and in some cases cost a lot of money to do a specific job. Not ideal unfortunately, or I would be the first to cut them up to find something useful for skiing.

So really looking for something that is about as warm as a good quality fleece layer, but without having to spend hundreds, and preferably get something fairly flexible and designed for the kind of movement we use when skiing. If you see what I mean.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monium, this is going to sound a little harsh, but if a merino base layer of lets say 240 thickness is not enough under your soft shells then you have the wrong soft shell pants for skiing, a good soft shell with a thin merino base layer of around 100 should be plenty down to -20.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am I missing something about the Aldi pants? They are about the same warmness as the Helly Hansen base layer, but slightly thinner. Is there a much thicker version that they do? The ones I got last year are about the same thickness as a thin T-shirt material.

Can you explain 240 thickness? Not sure what that means.

Last December we got to minus 35 on the glacier. That is what I am preparing for, I'd rather be a bit too hot than too cold Smile That meant HH base layer, tracksuit bottoms, and insulated trousers, which was just about enough. I am losing the insulation, so think I'll need something warmer than just a pair of tracksuit bottoms.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No disrespect to Aldi's gear but if I was expecting to find myself in -35 I wouldn't be wearing it Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, 240 is the weight of the base layer, the Aldi ones are about 80 to a 100 so quite thin, if you want to go warmer them 240 is a good option, if you have a look on my web site you will see that the Ortovox merino base layers are divided up into weight sections, i do a 240 3/4 length merino base layer pant.

Alans deep bath, yep agreed at -35 I would probably have at least 240 and maybe a pair of the aldi ones on as well. Toofy Grin Very Happy oh and probably a full face mask as well Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium, you realise of course that keeping your wee wriglers cooked inside thermals is killing them... man up and stay cool for the future man in you, they'll thank you for it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eek, when you said 'cold' i thought you meant -10C! -35C is pretty unusual.

I wore Quechua Bionassay soft shell pants when I was in Norway a couple of years ago. Temps got down to -20c and I wore a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters and a pair of Marmot DriClime Side Zip Pants underneath them. I was just about warm enough when standing in the wind. Your softshells are probably warmer than ther Bionassay ones, so you could probably get away with wearing the same layers in slightly colder weather.

Sadly Marmot have stopped making the the DriClime Side Zip Pants, although Buffalo still make a similar pant for mountaineers called the Teclite Trouser. I prefer wearing Tracksters instead of a conventional base layer because the Tracksters have a shiny face that stops them binding to the layer you wear above them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Marmot do (or at least used to) a 3/4 powerstretch fleece pant. Facewest sell 'em
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had my first pair of shell pants last year - most days simply wore my helly hansen or under armour base layer and on the one cold day, some fleece trousers from Mountain Equipment. Clearly, I can see the benefit of having 3/4 lengths and reducing interference with my boots.
latest report
I've recently bought soft shell salos too after having killed yet another pair of conventional salos last season. I'm hoping that they are a) cooler, b) less destructable and c) make me look less like a blimp. I have some normal base layer leggings to wear underneath should the need arise.
snow report
 cran
cran
I have a pair of cheap trespass ski trousers, but no idea if they are soft shell, or what soft shell is... they are yellow if that helps...

They cost about £30 so nothing special and we were in Norway last year in -20 and I wore them with nothing underneath except a pair of boxers and my legs were fine if anything slightly too hot after a few reds.

The only thing I needed extra to my normal ski wear was a face mask as otherwise my face got cold on the lifts.
ski holidays
Monium, given that you only found yourself just warm enough in thicker trousers plus a merino base layer AND tracksuit trousers, why have you switched to shell pants? Maybe keep them for the warmer days and stick to the old stuff for the minus 35 days?
snow report
pam w, very good point. I was hoping that I'd be able to layer up and sort of adjust my insulation so that one pair of trousers would do everything from seriously cold right through to Easter in the sunshine. And two pairs of trousers in the suitcase is probably going to happen anyway but I sort of wanted to be very warm and also flexible, which the old pants weren't really giving me - they were a bit restrictive at times, largely because to be comfortable around the thighs they had to be fairly loose around the waist, leading to all kinds of other annoyance.

But the primary reason for the switch was that they were very cheap and I liked the colour Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

to be comfortable around the thighs they had to be fairly loose around the waist, leading to all kinds of other annoyance.

Last time I bought ski trousers I had to try on absolutely loads of pairs before finding one which was right for my (fairly ordinary sort of size 12) shape. Many which were right at bum level were much too small round the waist, some were wrong in other ways. Eventually one pair just went on right - so I bought them. I had started out with all kinds of fancy notions about liking some of the styles or fabrics better than others, some being too expensive, etc etc. All that went out of the window.

I had the same hassle with jackets - some of them were positively uncomfortable, or pockets were all wrong, or neck fastenings made for Olive Oyl, or whatever.

Why anyone would buy those items online defeats me, unless they'd tried on the identical model in a shop.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy